Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

That s exactly why such uncreative and mundane movies like Hell or High Water, Manchester by the Sea & la La land are praised to the heavens in 2016, because they feel so different from the current status quo & norm & movies that are doing very well at the box office.

Because these movies are rare in today's landscape, it becomes de facto a quality in itself, which amuses me  alot.

Hell or High water & Manchester were decent movies I guess, but unremarkable.

La La Land looks as creative as Force Awakens from the trailers.

And they are all very very tiny movies, self centered movies about boring, mundane characters you don't want to root for or be.

Thank god those movies are not the norm and that we don't have 40 Manchesters & La La lands & Hell or High Waters per year, that would be depressing, bleak & grim to live in these trying times.

I rolled my eyes so far back into my head that I'm now blind.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I've been going a lot lately with @Jayhawk and @jandrew

Here in Houston though, I am alone. And my brothers hate musicals like @The Futurist

Cool. I'd love to meet BOT folks but like 90% of you assholes live in the States while I'm stuck here eating Finnish pizza.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Cool. I'd love to meet BOT folks but like 90% of you assholes live in the States while I'm stuck here eating Finnish pizza.

Well, I'm stuck in Trump land :kitschjob:

If I only had a nice girl to take out on a date to La La Land or something :sadben:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's a bit weird that Stone is only now really getting her big Movie Star moment because she's been close to the spotlight since at least Zombieland 7 years ago but never quite ended up right in the center of it. In the time when JLaw (and, if you disregard box office, Brie Larson and Alicia Vikander) could go from complete unknown to Oscar winner in two years, Stone's steady rise feels like it took her ages. 

Jlaw trivia : she auditionned for the Emma Stone part in Superbad.

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Worse, with lutefisk

From what I've seen, nothing is worse than Surströmming. When Tosh had it on his show even the audience members nearby looked like they were going to puke just from his opening the can and the reactions of those who tried to take a bite, priceless.:D

8 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

On the topic of relationships entanglement and lifelines in modern urban settings, I'm certain that Linklater's "Before..." explores much of that topic in depth. "Tribute to Jazz"? Through the perspective of whitesplaining Ryan Gosling? No thanks. I'd rather watch a documentary on Miles Davis, Charlie Parker or John Coltrane than seeing Gosling lecturing what is the essence of Jazz to black jazz musicians. (As also playing in that worn-out trope that the hipster guy entirely defined by his dorky fixation has to educate the young ingenue who is a total ignoramus of everything "jazz" because she hates it sight unseen like 99% of girls in LA and that makes them unlovable for our musical elitist hero until she succcombs to his encyclopedic knowledge and immaculate musical tastes...)

Bravo.

• Like 2