CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Gone Girl - 26.8M | Dracula Untold - 23.5M | Alexander - 19.1M | Annabelle - 16.4M | The Judge - 13.3M

It is a little bizarre that the U.S. still celebrates Columbus Day on a federal level and local/state level like we do.  Columbus was a pretty brutal guy.  He consistently promoted the rape of innocent women by his crew on his ships and was one of the earliest proponents of bringing slavery to the New World.  Not to mention that he didn't even land on American soil.  No historical person is perfect - they all have flaws - but Columbus was a major a-hole.

All Spanish conquistadors are assholes.

Currently doing a project on Pizarro, and what he did to Atahualpa is pretty sickening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atahualpa

After several months in fear of an imminent attack from general Rumiñahui, the outnumbered Spanish saw Atahualpa as too much of a liability and decided to execute him. Pizarro staged a mock trial and found Atahualpa guilty of revolting against the Spanish, practicing idolatry, and murdering Huáscar, his brother. Atahualpa was sentenced to execution by burning. He was horrified, since the Inca believed that the soul would not be able to go on to the afterlife if the body were burned. Friar Vicente de Valverde, who had earlier offered his breviary to Atahualpa, intervened, telling Atahualpa that if he agreed to convert to Catholicism, he would convince Pizarro to commute the sentence. Atahualpa agreed to be baptized into the Catholic faith. He was given the name Francisco Atahualpa in honor of Francisco Pizarro. In accordance with his request, he was strangled with a garrote on 26 July 1533.

• Like 1

I feel so lost, where do we go from here ?

Well first, we need to spread the word about Columbus being not exactly a good guy. Then we write a petition to the White House to stop the celebration of Columbus day.

Oh wait, you meant BOM being down. Well, I have no idea as to what to do there.

• Like 9

I feel so lost, where do we go from here ?

BOM is Gone, Girl, so I guess This is Where I Leave You. Hopefully, IMDB chooses to Equalize its content we are so Addicted to, or else we'll have to Judge numbers with Boxtrolls every weekend. The Dolphin Tale remains Untold though, and although this is a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, at least we aren't left as Runners, but as Guardians of IMDB's first No Good Deed. Only Annabelle, baumer's ex-wife, will be Left Behind. 

• Like 34

BOM is Gone, Girl, so I guess This is Where I Leave You. Hopefully, IMDB chooses to Equalize its content we are so Addicted to, or else we'll have to Judge numbers with Boxtrolls every weekend. The Dolphin Tale remains Untold though, and although this is a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, at least we aren't left as Runners, but as Guardians of IMDB's first No Good Deed. Only Annabelle, baumer's ex-wife, will be Left Behind. 

Movie Poetry, niiiiice.

But can it save us from our tragic loss ?

• Like 2

tumblr_nd76dulFA51rvf6ewo1_500.jpg

• Like 1

Well first, we need to spread the word about Columbus being not exactly a good guy. Then we write a petition to the White House to stop the celebration of Columbus day.

Oh wait, you meant BOM being down. Well, I have no idea as to what to do there.

theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day

I mean hope that mojo gets back up otherwise

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!

• Like 1

Early estimates suggest that Gone Girl will suffer minimal losses in its sophomore frame and could be on a trajectory for $24-$25 million. If estimates hold, the adaptation would be the first R-rated drama since Shutter Island in 2010 to defend its No. 1 position two weeks in a row.

But Dracula Untold scored well on Friday, even matinees. Though it mustered just a 26% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it scored an “A-” on CinemaScore, which should boost weekend horror crowds, notorious for ignoring critics and word of mouth. It’s positioned for a bow in the low $20’s.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day actually had a pretty good Friday, particularly considering that its core demographic was in school. Alexander scored an “A-” CinemaScore, suggesting  it could see word of mouth that’s kept The Boxtrolls near the top of the charts. Its looking at a bow in the high teens.

The verdict on The Judge isn’t a conviction, but the jury seems deadlocked on the crime drama with Robert Downey Jr. and Robert Duvall. Its 48% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes won’t help, but it did manage a CinemaScore “A-,”  enough to give WB hope for word of mouth. But it’s being cannibalized by the other R-rated crime drama starring a comic book superhero in Gone Girl. Its $5 million Friday suggest a three-day bow around $15 million.

The dark thriller Addicted is scoring well with young adults as Lionsgate’s R-rated infidelity thriller managed a solid 78% on Flixster, suggesting word of mouth could propel the low-budget film to a strong bow of $9 million.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

1). Gone Girl (FOX), 3014 theaters / $8.1MFri. / 3-day est. cume: $25.5M (-39%) / Wk 2

2). Dracula Untold (UNI), 2887 theaters / $8M Fri. / 3-day est. cume: $20M+/ Wk 1

3). Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (DIS), 3088 theaters / $5M Fri. / 3-day est. cume: $17.8-18.5M/ Wk 1

4). Annabelle (WB), 3215 theaters (+30)/ $5MFri. / 3-day est. cume: $15.5M (-58%)/ Wk 2

5). The Judge (WB), 3003 theaters / $4.55MFri. / 3-day est. cume: $14.2M/ Wk 1

6). The Equalizer (SONY), 3117 theaters (-119) / $2.85MFri. / $3-day est. cume: $9-10M/ Wk 3

7/8). The Maze Runner (FOX), 3072 theaters (-533)/ $2.05M Fri. /3-day est. cume: $7.4M/ Wk 4

7/8). Addicted (LGF), 846 theaters / $2.7M Fri. / $3-day est. cume: $7.5M/ Wk 1

9). The Boxtrolls (FOC), 3270 theaters (-194) / $1.6M Fri. / 3-day est. cume: $6.5M/ Wk 3

10/11). Left Behind (Freestyle), 1887 theaters (+62) / $911K Fri. / 3-day est. cume: $2.9M (-40%) / Wk 2

10/11). Meet the Mormons (Purdie), 317 theaters/ $1.17M Fri. / 3-day est. cume: $2.8-3.2M/ Wk 1UPDATE,

Edited by Boogie Nights