CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

8 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Doubt it. The internet is a loud place that’s doesn’t translate to real life. 

This is usually true, but there are instances where we see it translate directly and I think this will be one of them. It's more of a thing where a divided fanbase really negates there ability for enthusiasm to catch fire with the casual fan. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cap said:

I am going to say this once and move on. 

If I was Cavill, I would be spite calling Feige right now about Hyperion. Squadron Supreme let’s Gooooooo. 

but I am a petty bitch like that. 

Nah. He will be Sentry.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This is usually true, but there are instances where we see it translate directly and I think this will be one of them. It's more of a thing where a divided fanbase really negates there ability for enthusiasm to catch fire with the casual fan. 

The fanbase is and will always be divided for DC until something changes, WB hasn’t handled things well.

That’s what Gunn and Safran and trying to fix. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cap said:

I am going to say this once and move on. 

If I was Cavill, I would be spite calling Feige right now about Hyperion. Squadron Supreme let’s Gooooooo. 

but I am a petty bitch like that. 

Hyperion, Sentry, Captain Britain... all these boring roles are Ls TBH

He missed the opportunity to play Wonder Man. That could've been fun.

There's still the possibility that he could sass it up as Mister Sinister in the X-Men. Requires some out-of-left-field thinking on the part of casting, but they are capable of it.

FB-jam_66.jpg

sinister-1.jpg?resize=285%2C771

wjl06chjr8q61.jpg?auto=webp&s=2ba4261200

• Like 3

I have to lol at the Jacob Elordi or Timothee Chalamet suggestions that are going around when y'all know deep down they're going to go with the most Cavill-esque rising young actor they can find.

Good thing there's already one of those who has been building a resume over the past few years and also not yet 30 (but will be in seven months)!

David Corenswet News. (@CorenswetNews) / Twitter

David Corenswet is probably best known for key roles in a couple of Ryan Murphy projects (flop ones that were part of the weak Netflix deal until he finally delivered hits for them with Monster and The Watcher) but was also just in Pearl (haven't seen the movie yet but he's second billed behind Mia Goth in the credits so).

• Astonished 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I have to lol at the Jacob Elordi or Timothee Chalamet suggestions that are going around when y'all know deep down they're going to go with the most Cavill-esque rising young actor they can find.

Good thing there's already one of those who has been building a resume over the past few years and also not yet 30 (but will be in seven months)!

David Corenswet News. (@CorenswetNews) / Twitter

David Corenswet is probably best known for key roles in a couple of Ryan Murphy projects (flop ones that were part of the weak Netflix deal until he finally delivered hits for them with Monster and The Watcher) but was also just in Pearl (haven't seen the movie yet but he's second billed behind Mia Goth in the credits so).

Elordi’s a stronger actor with a more impressive resume since he just worked with Emerald Fennel and Sofia Coppola. Also, corenswet just looks too much like cavill, and he’s not that much stronger of an actor

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

WW is gone, Superman is gone, rumors of Aquaman being gone after next movie.

It is looking more and more likely Gunn was sent to destroy DC from within.

I was always positive about the keeping the DCEU as much as it suffered, but yeah, this seems like a good opportunity to just cancel it. 

11 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Director predictions:

Paul King

Baz Luhrmann

Actor predictions:

Austin Butler

Glenn Powell

George MacKay

Luke Macfarlane

Harris Dickinson

Paul Mescal

Dane DiLiegro

Yeah people will be so pleased that they just let one actor who looks exactly like Supes to get someone like Butler.

I think Adam Di Marco from The White Lotus S2 would be a good choice. 

3 hours ago, cax16 said:

you’re a real Superman fan you’re gonna see a new Superman movie, people like to be loud and then they’ll be there opening night. 

Alright do people honestly believe Gunn can measure up to the previous creatives, that is just setting up for disappointment.

If you're an actual fan you would never wanna let someone like Gunn write even a line for Legacy heroes unironically. At this point just let JJ do it lmao

• ...wtf 1

I’ll just say it; I don’t think Gunn’s writing is a good fit for Superman. His entire shtick is edgy/raunchy comedy that has an irreverent and somewhat cynical streak to it. That’s his trademark, and it’s all over TSS and Peacemaker. A Superman film should be much more earnest and carry a degree of gravitas. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Director predictions:

Paul King

Baz Luhrmann

Actor predictions:

Austin Butler

Glenn Powell

George MacKay

Luke Macfarlane

Harris Dickinson

Paul Mescal

Dane DiLiegro

King yes, Luhrmann - no

Gunn said he's going for young Superman - so any one older than mid 20s is probably out especially if it takes them 2-3 years to get this film out.   

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’ll just say it; I don’t think Gunn’s writing is a good fit for Superman. His entire shtick is edgy/raunchy comedy that has an irreverent and somewhat cynical streak to it. That’s his trademark, and it’s all over TSS and Peacemaker. A Superman film should be much more earnest and carry a degree of gravitas. 

True.  His most (maybe only) sincere character is adult Groot - and it helps that every word he says is groot.

6 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Alright do people honestly believe Gunn can measure up to the previous creatives, that is just setting up for disappointment.

If you're an actual fan you would never wanna let someone like Gunn write even a line for Legacy heroes unironically. At this point just let JJ do it lmao

Ya you’re right, why would I wanna trust someone who’s probably read more comics then I have in my life and understands these characters probably better then most people. And btw I’ve read Superman comics for over 25 years. 

Bottom line for me is I trust Gunn, if you or others don’t then don’t watch the movies ( even though you will) or just wait to see what comes of his universe before jumping the gun with opinions on stuff. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

Regardless of what the Snyder fans are screaming into the void, this was the best decision for the character. If they’d carried on with Cavill it’d always have had the baggage of BvS and two versions of JL with it, which would’ve limited its BO potential. This gives them a fresh slate.

If you’re a fan of Superman the character, this is good news.

Also, Cavill is less loved as Superman than Affleck was as Batman, and people still accepted Pattinson, so I doubt this will cause that much of an issue by the time the actual film comes out.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2