CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

The best choice from each of the trios mentioned. It is obvious they will have both have great chemistry with the other and are perfectly suited for traditional versions the character. RB has the spunk fast-talking side that we haven't seen in a while for the character tbh.  

Alo - interesting that they were both announced simultaneously. It wasn't a case of 1 then the other. 

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

THIS. He's no leading man material. He looks too "strange"

Come on, he's a conventionally attractive guy lol - that's one of the issues he has, he's bad at the parts he looks like and the kind of roles he excels at are those normally reserved for character actors

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Come on, he's a conventionally attractive guy lol - that's one of the issues he has, he's bad at the parts he looks like and the kind of roles he excels at are those normally reserved for character actors

True, but the closest analog I can think of are Chris Pine or James Marsden, both of them excel in character roles more than leading roles but are just on the other side of the "attractive-very attractive" line that they get cast as leads enough. Hoult is the same but on the opposite side of the line where his lead roles are also more character actor type leads. He really needs that one breakout role which can put him on the full fledged lead side of things.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Give Nicolas Hoult Lex Luthor. I think he can pull that off really well, he has that little bit of "aristocratic douche" aura to him, or maybe i have just seen The Great too much. 

Hoult as Lex would be excellent casting, we know thanks to Mad Max he can pull off bald well. 

I'm hoping we get Jimmy Olsen although I have no idea who would play him. Perry White is a role where you can really cast anyone who fairly well known much like Laurence Fishburne in MOS and Frank Langella in Superman Returns although I'd probably go for a late 40s-early 50s type actor. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

True, but the closest analog I can think of are Chris Pine or James Marsden, both of them excel in character roles more than leading roles but are just on the other side of the "attractive-very attractive" line that they get cast as leads enough. Hoult is the same but on the opposite side of the line where his lead roles are also more character actor type leads. He really needs that one breakout role which can put him on the full fledged lead side of things.

Yeah, maybe the final Eastwood will be his American Sniper 🙌  

• Like 1

Like clockwork, they conveniently announce the Superman casting right as the abysmal second weekend drop for The Flash is making headlines. Classic, cynical damage control from Hollywood. Anyone new should take notes, for this is predictable behavior in this industry.

I am very happy with the casting itself though. David looks like the perfect Kal-El for our time. I don't have any opinion on Rachel yet, but everyone online is overjoyed, so I have high expectations.

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Like clockwork, they conveniently announce the Superman casting right as the abysmal second weekend drop for The Flash is making headlines. Classic, cynical damage control from Hollywood. Anyone new should take notes, for this is predictable behavior in this industry.

I am very happy with the casting itself though. David looks like the perfect Kal-El for our time. I don't have any opinion on Rachel yet, but everyone online is overjoyed, so I have high expectations.

If we weren’t living in special circumstances due to the WGA strike and the looming SAG strike, I’d agree with you. With that said, I do think this is about not being able to not cross the dots before a potential SAG strike and they having signed a two weeks contract that would expire like it’s explained in the article. Don’t see this as cynical, but practical.

Very much on board with Brosnahan and I'm sure the dude playing Clark will do well. I will say that going back to Lex Luthor again is pretty boring. It's frustrating how we still don't have a live-action Brainiac yet, but we now have three Lex Luthors. Four if you want to include Jon Cryer as his nephew.

39 minutes ago, TMP said:

He was already rejected from Top Gun, Jon Snow and Han Solo (bullet dodged there though lol) and had to leave Mission because of The Great scheduling so I think he's already beat Cavill in terms of being the Biggest Loser

Pretty sure Henry was also in Nolan’s shortlist for Batman.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Yes. The 2 actors I was hoping for from the list. Brosnahan just has IT, her performance in the final season of Mrs Maisel was so so good especially considering she had to play so many different ages in it.

I am 100% certain this was supposed to be SDCC reveal but due to the strikes, they had to reveal it now.

As a huge fan of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel I think this is an excellent choice.

BTW someone said a Jewish Lois Lane, not that it matters but Broshanan is Irish, though the charecter of Mrs Maisel is, of course, Jewish.

Second time DC has gone to Mrs. Maisel for a lead; Zach Levi was the first.

Just now, dudalb said:

As a huge fan of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel I think this is an excellent choice.

BTW someone said a Jewish Lois Lane, not that it matters but Broshanan is Irish, though the charecter of Mrs Maisel is, of course, Jewish.

Second time DC has gone to Mrs. Maisel for a lead; Zach Levi was the first.

Levi was cast before he was on the show. I remember because when he showed up in the series, he was way too buff and pretty much bursting out of his suits. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Wayne said:

Very much on board with Brosnahan and I'm sure the dude playing Clark will do well. I will say that going back to Lex Luthor again is pretty boring. It's frustrating how we still don't have a live-action Brainiac yet, but we now have three Lex Luthors. Four if you want to include Jon Cryer as his nephew.

I wish they would have gone in a different direction. I was hoping for Braniac as the main villian.

But I hope that my favorite Supes villian, Darkseid, is somewhere in the background.