Olive

Avengers: Age of Ultron OS Thread | $945.7M OS | $1.405B WW

Any reason people are pessimistic about Avengers when it apparently out opened Furious7 in most places ?

it has shown serious signs of frontloading in multiple markets. France went down from 2.5M admits predict to probably 1.8m which is lower than 1st film. Germany projects went down dramatically. Even in Brazil it went down to around 12.5m in the end. Korea is at a trajectory worse than IM3. Its definitely not going to have the legs of 1st film or even IM3 in many markets.

That being said China is its own beast. it could still do 300m+ there and beat Furious 7 OS. For now I give slight edge to Furious 7 as that had perfect storm in China which could be hard to replicate that quickly again.

• Like 2

it has shown serious signs of frontloading in multiple markets. France went down from 2.5M admits predict to probably 1.8m which is lower than 1st film. Germany projects went down dramatically. Even in Brazil it went down to around 12.5m in the end. Korea is at a trajectory worse than IM3. Its definitely not going to have the legs of 1st film or even IM3 in many markets.

That being said China is its own beast. it could still do 300m+ there and beat Furious 7 OS. For now I give slight edge to Furious 7 as that had perfect storm in China which could be hard to replicate that quickly again.

International weekend champAvengers: Age Of Ultron has come in a blip (0.5%) lower in the actuals today compared with Sunday’s projection. Disney reports that the five-day tally overseas in 44 markets was $200.2M versus yesterday’s $201.2M estimate. The shift was not in one market in particular, but rather due to various ups and downs in different markets as final numbers were tallied.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/international-box-office-avengers-age-of-ultron-furious-7-paul-blart-home-1201416588/

• Like 1

The likeliness of AOU having so-so WOM just makes me sad.. not because I think AOU is otherworldly good but because I've seen way worse movies got away with better WOM because they simply lived up to people's lower expectations. Edited by KATCH 22

great opening, let's wait and see how it behaves in the weeks ahead. This friday is a holiday in many markets, so that could translate in a better second weekend hold. ¿What number do you expect for the second weekend? ¿$160?

great opening, let's wait and see how it behaves in the weeks ahead. This friday is a holiday in many markets, so that could translate in a better second weekend hold. ¿What number do you expect for the second weekend? ¿$160?

Higher?

Mexico

Spain

Malaysia

Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador, Chile

Smaller countries as well.

If not higher maybe 180M.

The likeliness of AOU having so-so WOM just makes me sad.. not because I think AOU is otherworldly good but because I've seen way worse movies got away with better WOM because they simply lived up to people's lower expectations.

It's not only the WOM but that the bigger it open, the harder it falls :ph34r:

• Like 1

To tell the truth.... I am getting a bit worried about 1B OS.......

Current markets should finish with.... say..... $550m.

Remaining markets excluding China should do about $250m.

So China needs to do $200m.

So far.... 1b finish looks comfortable, but if the legs aren't very good, or opening in the remaining markets isn't upto the mark, or China doesn't perform very well, then AoU could be struggling to get there.

Things would be clear only after two weeks.

So far.... 1b finish looks comfortable, but if the legs aren't very good, or opening in the remaining markets isn't upto the mark, or China doesn't perform very well, then AoU could be struggling to get there.

Opening weekend was 4-5 days in many markets. If its as frontloaded as I think it could be then only 450-500m(2.5X) for current markets. It may need to 250-300m in China to get to 1B.

Furious 7 opened during Easter in several markets which is a two day holiday in some of them (friday and monday) hence it's massive numbers.

If AOU actually beats that in some of those markets without the benefit of public holidays, then that's pretty darn impressive.

• Like 1

Actually 550m after 200m opening is not bad at all. Considering there are multiple front loaded markets and AOU is record breaking in most of them it would require great legs. Also this requires AOU to match Avengers minus china despite poor ER. Possible but not with bad legs. Bad legs would be 700m minus China. Then it would need 300m in China to hit 1B. That would be tough though not impossible considering AOU will have huge anticipation.