kayumanggi

Weekend numbers pg 12: Ouija 20.0M

And speaking of which, Home Alone was #1 for 12 weeks? Holy guacamole!!

I really want that kind of a box office run to happen again. Would be a major change to the "one weekend and done" nature of the current box office landscape. A true word of mouth hit retaining the top spot for 6-8 weeks continuously and dropping very little while doing so. The only time it can happen is probably starting from Labor day weekend through to mid-October when most studios aren't releasing the tentpole movies.

The closest we have come was Frozen, it was making money but was not dominating new releases. In fact even Avatar didn't exactly manage to dominate like that. 

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3

I really want that kind of a box office run to happen again. Would be a major change to the "one weekend and done" nature of the current box office landscape. A true word of mouth hit retaining the top spot for 6-8 weeks continuously and dropping very little while doing so. The only time it can happen is probably starting from Labor day weekend through to mid-October when most studios aren't releasing the tentpole movies.

The closest we have come was Frozen, it was making money but was not dominating new releases. In fact even Avatar didn't exactly manage to dominate like that. 

That's exactly what Avatar did, #1 for 7 weekends in a row.  $31m on it's 7th weekend is just insane. 

But, yes, those kinds of run are so rare.

• Like 5

Just saw St Vincent.  Good movie.  Packed house.  

I think they made an effort to make it a little more BO friendly and a little less critic friendly than I expected.  If its a weak year for leading men Murray might squeak into a nomination, but otherwise I'd be shocked if it sniffs any serious awards.  It could end up doing better at the box office than I'd originally thought, though.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

That's exactly what Avatar did, #1 for 7 weekends in a row.  $31m on it's 7th weekend is just insane. 

But, yes, those kinds of run are so rare.

I've always wondered what is going to have the next Avatar run... I guess you could say Frozen did on a much smaller scale, as well as Gravity, but still. Even if I have to wait 10 more years, it's going to be so worth it when it happens  :D

I've always wondered what is going to have the next Avatar run... I guess you could say Frozen did on a much smaller scale, as well as Gravity, but still. Even if I have to wait 10 more years, it's going to be so worth it when it happens  :D

Maybe the new Star Wars movie?

• Like 1

Maybe the new Star Wars movie?

I could be possible. The only thing I can see holding it back from having an Avatar-type run is that the hype factor is through the roof, therefore it will have a MASSIVE OW, which could (or maybe it won't) hinder it's chances of having a 8-10x multiplier.

Went and saw St. Vincent earlier tonight and really enjoyed it. The film is a great mix of comedy and drama. Also this is the only time I think I have seen an entire crowd stay through the credits to the end. 

Hah, yeah.  I loved the various scenes with his dirt-yard.  Was the perfect end to the movie.

You realize, of course, that an event like this would mean that not only would you have to have a *truly* great movie (which would be great), but you then also would need to have multiple follow-up weekends during which nothing was scheduled except complete crap (which would suck).

Alternatively, you could have the distributors intentionally not distribute movies broadly at first, intentionally either not giving it to theaters in various regions or just only allowing them to play it on a few screens per market.  You could never open to 3k screens have it not lose share for multiple weeks because you will never find enough people willing to see the movie 5-6 times.

That's how it worked with Star Wars:  A New Hope.  That's how they did it in those days, you started on a few hundred screens, probably in major metro areas, and then if you did well you gradually expanded outwards.  IIRC, Star Wars increased its number of screens like 8 weeks in a row or something.  On the one hand, its pretty awesome that its 8th week wasn't really any smaller than its opening week.  On the other hand, it meant that if you lived in Des Moines, you'd probably have to wait for a good movie to get to its 4th or 5th week before you'd have a chance to see it.  In today's world, that would make publicity scheduling a total nightmare and be a *HUGE* opportunity for pirates.

Edit - Of course, Avatar kinda did this, and so did Titannic, but they're noteworthy for being such incredible outliers.  If movies did that all the time, it would stop being rare, and thus stop being interesting when it happened. Essentially, you're saying it would be cool if something incredibly rare happened.  Which is true, it is cool when something really rare happens.  But its self-defeating, because if it happens a lot, or at least more often than it does now, then it stops being rare.  The very act of it happening more often makes it less cool when it does happen.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 4

I'd rather have a huge year, like 2002, but that's just as impossible now.

further update from deadline:

1). Ouija (UNI), 2,858 theaters / $8.2M Fri. (includes $911K late nights) / $7.5M Sat. (-9%) / 3-day cume: $20M+ / Wk 1

2). John Wick (LGF), 2,589 theaters / $5.4M Fri. (includes $870K late nights) / $5.2M to $5.3M Sat. (-2%) / 3-day cume: $14M+ / Wk 1

3). Fury (SONY), 3,173 theaters / $4M Fri. / $5.4M to $5.6M Sat. (+37%) / 3-day cume: $12.8M to $13.1M to (-45%) / Total cume: $46M / Wk 2

4). Gone Girl (FOX), 3,106 theaters (-143) / $3.4M Fri. / $4.7M to $4.9M Sat. (+41%) / 3-day cume: $10.6M to $11M / Total cume: $124M / Wk 4

5). The Book of Life (FOX), 3,133 theaters (+42) / $2.4M Fri. / $4.1M to $4.3M Sat. (+75%) / 3-day cume: $9.5M to $9.9M (-42%) / Total cume: $29M to $30M / Wk 2

6). St. Vincent (TWC), 2,282 theaters (+2,214) / $2.5M Fri. / $3.27M Sat. (30%) / 3-day cume: $7.9M / Total cume: $9M / Wk 3

NOTEWORTHY: Birdman (FSL), 50 theaters (+46) / $429K Fri. /$583K Sat. (+36%) / 3-day cume: $1.4M / Per screen: $29K / Total cume: $2.1M / Wk 2

• Like 2

Uh, really? Because the main demographic for this (teens, and no one else) would definitely make it frontloaded. A 10% drop would not be at all surprising.

I rest my case.  Ouija didn't drop on Saturday.  Take out Thursday's number and it stayed flat.  

Well, Home Alone is the greatest comedy ever made. It's in my top 10 movies all time. I rewatched it so many times and it's still as good as the first time :lol:

• Like 1

I know we're talking about domestic runs, but I got that kind of excitement when I was following Frozen's run in Japan. It was #1 for 16 weeks in a row and had 33x multiplier! Making about the same amount of money for weeks, with increases here and there. The OW was already big, but its 8th weekend was the biggest one. Its 12th weekend only dropped like 1% from it's OW. I feel really lucky to be able to witness that.

Would be great if something like this happens in the US box office too. If it ever happens, I think it will be a movie that we didn't expect at all. Something that we will never see it coming.

• Like 3

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  31m ago
FURY took in an estimated $13.0M this weekend. Domestic total stands at $46.05M. #Fury

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  57m ago
CITIZENFOUR opened with an estimated $125,172 this weekend from 5 locations. #Citizenfour

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  59m ago
LAGGIES opened with an estimated $78,470 this weekend from 5 locations. #Laggies

• Like 1

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  20m ago
BIRDMAN took in an estimated $1.44M this weekend from 50 locations. Domestic total stands at $2.07M. #Birdman

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  21m ago
THE BOOK OF LIFE took in an estimated $9.8M this weekend. Domestic total stands at $29.91M. #TheBookOfLife

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  22m ago
GONE GIRL took in an estimated $11.1M this weekend. Domestic total stands at $124.09M. #GoneGirl

• Like 1