grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

I wonder if this is another "played well in certain areas, not in others". The Friday night 7PM IMAX showing here was sold out. (This is the same theater where the 7PM opening night PLF showing of Pacific Rim sold out.)

I don't care, I was just glad to see a first-run IMAX release in 15/70 again. I want more 2D 15/70.

Edited by TServo2049

In terms of the opening, I think CloneWars is right about Paramount's strategy. They went cheapskate on the amount of TV ads, especially on the most expensive advertising network (ESPN). I remember Inception had a shitload of ads on ESPN. WB went all out for that film.

Paramount probably decided it just wasn't worth the extra effort. But I will also say if your strategy is to have a WOM hit, then you don't release it 2 weeks before a Hunger Games movie. Really dumb release date. Should have been October...been saying this for a year.

• Like 2

In terms of the opening, I think CloneWars is right about Paramount's strategy. They went cheapskate on the amount of TV ads, especially on the most expensive advertising network (ESPN). I remember Inception had a shitload of ads on ESPN. WB went all out for that film.

Paramount probably decided it just wasn't worth the extra effort. But I will also say if your strategy is to have a WOM hit, then you don't release it 2 weeks before a Hunger Games movie. Really dumb release date. Should have been October...been saying this for a year.

I'm starting to think a better release date could have helped a bit. If the third installment in that overly drawn out trilogy wasn't coming out I'd say it should have taken that mid-December date.

Edited by Mangostellar in 70mm

Doubt the GA even sees him. Certainly not by name alone. He's still a "From the director of Batman" director, and not, say, "From James Cameron" or "From Steven Spielberg" director.

I was thinking the opposite when I saw the trailer for Interstellar recently.   It said, "From the director of The Dark Knight and Inception" instead of "From Christopher Nolan".   You can put "From Stephen Speilberg" in an ad and that will work.   I'll be real curious to see how Avatar 2 is marketed.   Will it be "From James Cameron" or "From the director of Titanic"?

Or Guardians of Galaxy ahead of A Clockwork Orange

Toy Story 3 ahead of  M and Grave of the Fireflies 

Inglourious Basterds  ahead of 2001: A Space Odyssey

Batman Begns ahead of Metropolis

Elephant Man and Blade Runner only in the top 140.

Gran Torino, Warrior,  V for Vendetta, and How to Train Your Dragon  making the list and being in the top 150.

For Fuck sakes Sin City is rated higher then There Will Be Blood 

IMDB is the biggest joke list out there.

The interesting thing about art is that you can find any list you want and post it....and people will have a problem with it.   The only list people agree with is the one they make themselves.   That's art.

But it does seem like every Nolan fan votes in IMDB.

• Like 1

Part of the IS promotional strategy also, well.... Kinda alienated me a bit. The trailers were pretty flat for the most part, though the star power was sure as hell strong. And then the long runtime. And then all the emphasis on "MUST SEE THIS IN IMAX FOR THE REAL EXPERIENCE!!!" Well, if it's more difficult to get out to an IMAX theater for some of us, then.... Meh. I'm not going to waste bridge toll fees, ass expensive parking in SF, child care, and then $17 per ticket plus refreshments on your movie.

The promotion for it kind of rubbed me the wrong way, like they came from it at this elitist, cool kids approach that didn't appeal to me at all. And I do like most Nolan films.

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 5

Then it would have faced adult competiton from GG and Fury, and teenage competiton from Ouija and Drac. Even Judge and Equalizer and JW would have provided some comp. I think 11/7 was fine. Lets face it, the movie just didnt make noise. In October I think it wouldve been worse.

And theres no room for Thannskgiving or Xmas. 11/7 was fine. Everyone just overhyped Interstellars prospects. And besides, IS still gets like 6 weeks of IMAX. If it had come out in October, I doubt IMAX wouldve given MJ1 the shaft. Speaking of, that looks like a pretty dumb decision now in hindsight.

• Like 2

Everyone just overhyped Interstellars prospects.

I've said all along it could very easily flop hard, so the "everyone" bit is not a fair thing to say. Telemachos is another one who has said from the beginning that it had an uphill battle to do well at the box office for a variety of reasons and he was laughed off the forum by a number of people here.

As for IMAX, I'm glad they gave Interstellar more than a two week run. Gives me more time to go see the film multiple times on a big screen without having to rush back within the first week or whatever. It was frustrating this summer how every week there was a new movie taking over the biggest screens.

• Like 2

Interstellar should came out in the summer

Oh please...everyones favorite copout. And then when summer movies dissapoint, people go "shoulda came out in the winter." Same excuse was used back in June when (overhyped as well) Dragon dissapointed.

IS had a good date, failed to connect. Yall make too many excuses.

• Like 5

Oh please...everyones favorite copout. And then when summer movies dissapoint, people go "shoulda came out in the winter." Same excuse was used back in June when (overhyped as well) Dragon dissapointed.

IS had a good date, failed to connect. Yall make too many excuses.

also Mccounghey isn't a dicaprio or bale
  • Like 1