grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

Edge of Tomorrow

Guardians of the Galaxy/Gone Girl (need to see GG again to get full gusto)

Captain America 3

DOFP

22 Jump Street.

Note: Finally saw Chef on Redbox. Kinda hard movie to rate, but it was pretty good. Not great, but very enjoyable for a movie about a food truck. Also have seen Sex Tape twice in one week (dont ask). Best word to describe it is average. Its one of those comedies thats just "there." Nothing special, but nothing to really exile it about.

From the Best of 2014 thread:

Top 10 of 2014 (So Far!!)

• Big Hero 6 - Disney's unstoppable. Offering up the blockbuster excitement of Marvel, but grounded in the humor and heart that has come to define Disney, Big Hero 6 has something for everyone, not to mention some of the most beautiful visuals and animation I've seen.
  • Birdman - Crazily made and deliriously amazing, Birdman offers up a snide perspective on Hollywood at all its levels, from the films to their makers to the people who watch them, but it's such a crazy and bonkers ride that it's nothing like you've ever seen before.
  • Boyhood - What can I say that couldn't possibly have been said before? It's a beautiful, funny, heartbreaking, hopeful exploration of life, focusing on universal themes that apply to human nature in general yet has a special touch for those who grew up with Mason (including myself) in a time of rapid change in America.
  • Edge of Tomorrow - As far as summer blockbusters go, this is the cream of the crop. Combining some creative concepts, well staged action sequences, brilliant performances from Cruise and Blunt, and unexpected bouts of humor, Edge of Tomorrow is one of those films that just sneaks up on you and blows you away.
  • Gone Girl - While it doesn't quite drive in the themes as the book did, Fincher's adaption is taut, creepy, and gets far under your skin as it deconstructs the ideals of contemporary Americana. Rosamund Pike gives an amazing performance, almost playing like the feminist version of Tyler Durden. 
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson's quirk is a driving force and is always charming, but a perspective on the idea of memories and the pain and comfort they hold gives this film a surprising edge.
  • The LEGO Movie - A familiar tale is given new life in this hilarious, wise, and heartfelt animated tale, a pure celebration of creativity, teamwork, and all around idealism.
  • The Skeleton Twins - This criminally underrated dramedy feature amazing performances from Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig, challenging them as comedians while remaining as perfectly fitting characters.
  • Snowpiercer - Brilliantly crafted and all around entertaining, Snowpiercer offers up some amazing filmmaking with great world building and a dose of social commentary that surprisingly allows for thoughtful debate on the role of humanity in the world and the idea of political structures and change.
  • Under The Skin - Another film rich on ideas, this time on the jarring difference between reality and artificiality, combines some freaky imagery, haunting filmmaking, and an amazing performance from Scarlett Johansson to create something truly wonderful.
  • Like 2

Are we ranking? Yay!

Boyhood

Gone Girl

Locke

Grand Budapest

Under the Skin

(Off the top of my head)

Haven't seen much but

Locke

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Snowpiercer(a second viewing moved this up)

The Grand Budapest Hotel

X-Men: Days of Future Passed

You know why, just want to know if you are completely bored by today s blockbusters or if you tolerate still a little.

No, I enjoyed some, even most, that I saw. I just wouldn't rank them in my top of the year. Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men, Godzilla were all pretty good. GOTG, Cap 2, and Noah were decent enough. INTERSTELLAR is a combination of fantastic scenes with a few thudders and one awful section -- overall pretty good, though.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

Haven't seen much but

Locke

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Snowpiercer(a second viewing moved this up)

The Grand Budapest Hotel

X-Men: Days of Future Passed

Random Order

GOTG A-

CA A-

Lego B

TF4 B - 

Maleficent B

DOFP A-

Dawn of the Apes A-

ASM2 B-

Godzilla C+

22 Jump Street B

TMNT B+

Dragon 2 C

Divergent B+

Neighbours B+

Ride Along B-

300- 2 B-

Noah - B

EOT - B+

Non Stop B+ 

Lets Be Cop B-

Hercules B 

Think Like A Man Too B-

Son Of God B

Robocop B-

Expendables 3 B-

Jack Ryan B-

Into The Storm B 

Need for Speed C+

Chef B+ 

Pompeii C+

Transcendence D+ 

The Immigrant B- 

DBZ Battle of The Gods: A-

Raid 2 B 

Snowpiercer A- 

While at home almost any movie is a min C+/B- as a base. 

a

Edited by Lordmandeep

The best movie I have seen this year, bar none, was Edge of Tomorrow. Curse everyone for not going and watching it in theaters, and then complaining that smart and original sci-fi has no takers anymore.

xXYc5r0.gif

• Like 3

<<<<isn't really a fan of Groundhog Day

BLASPHEMY!!! :P

But seriously, I love Groundhog Day. And the only reason why I didn't get to see EOT was that by the time I found out it was actually good, my local theaters were already dropping it.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

I think what really sucks about this weekend is this was pretty much the season for me. I mean, yeah, I'll see Hunger Games and The Hobbit but at this point it's feeling more like an obligation than actually being hyped for them, and I can't be sure just when and where all the Oscar bait is going to be released.

• Like 1