baumer

Weds numbers (full numbers on pg 8)

Why would Penguins do $150 Million if Enchanted and Muppets couldn't do that off the same opening day number? This is just more bad news for Dreamworks Animation.

Katzenberg wants to sell it and take seat at the board of directors of whichever studio buys it. But he's no John Lasseter and DWA is nowhere near the value of PIXAR. This whole thing is going to get ugly for the studio real soon. They need a hit and there is nothing on the horizon that looks like a hit.

• Like 6

Penguins would do about 150m if it held the same as Rise of the Guardians off of that OD. Not that we could remotely determine that it will of course.

Not an exact comparison here, but note that Rise of the Guardians had a 4.35 OW multiplier, which I think would be ridiculously high for a spin-off of a well-known franchise that looks to open significantly bigger--unless, that is, it was underexposed (seemed marketed hard enough to me, though) and has ridiculously good WOM. $150M may well be a stretch, depending on how this holiday weekend actually goes for the movie.

Perfectly fine number for Penguins if holds. A total of 125-150m looks in order, an expected range since a year ago.

I don't think this meets the expectations of a studio that probably spent around $135M or so to make the movie (plus multiple millions more for marketing and such). The OS box office will have to come to its rescue, and it's hard to say at this point whether it will. If the movie performs like a Rio movie overall (no guarantee that it will), then DWA are not going to be hurting much more than they are now, but it won't make up for all of the losses they've incurred in recent years--they need a bigger hit like The Croods or HTTYD 2 to do much good at all, and a much bigger hit still to put them back on solid footing (HTTYD 2 seemed to be their last, best hope for years, which was one reason its performance was such a disappointment, despite this movie being quite successful WW by more reasonable standards).

If DWA expected anymore than 150m outta Penguins DOM then they must be completely out of it. That would be great for it, and OS would make it profitable in that case. That said, they are in some deep shit looking at their schedule the next two years. Home is an insta-bomb if there ever was one, KFP3 is smashed into the most crowded Holiday season ever, and Boss Baby makes me want to personally punch anyone in the face responsible for it just from the title/synopsis. Trolls 2 years from now is their first chance at a profitable film after Penguins, imo.

Edited by MovieMan89

We still have to see what happens overseas, but this doesnt look like a huge hit. In fact, I think HOME would have had a similar opening. In the end it probably ends in the 130m-140m range, maybe even less if NATM/Annie really kill its legs.. I think it was a mistake to make the film when people can just watch penguins on the tv show. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

If DWA expected anymore than 150m outta Penguins DOM then they must be completely out of it.

Well, they spent $135M on Turbo, too, and $145M on Mr. Peabody & Sherman. Yes, they expected more out of all of these, especially Penguins of Madagascar. I didn't say that they were sane to. ;)

That would be great for it, and OS would make it profitable in that case.

It didn't help those other movies above, which along with Rise of the Guardians each lost at least as much money as a big hit would have made in profit.

That said, they are in some deep shit looking at their schedule the next two years. Home is an insta-bomb if there ever was one, KFP3 is smashed into the most crowded Holiday season ever, and Boss Baby makes me want to personally punch anyone in the face responsible for it just from the title/synopsis.

I agree, but the fact is that they expect a lot out of all of these movies or else they wouldn't give them blockbuster-level production budgets (trying to reduce them, but they will still be well north of $100M for the forseeable future). They (Jeffrey Katzenberg, really) strive for that magic $600M WW gross to create a franchise each and every time, and hoped out loud--in public--that HTTYD 2 would gross a billion WW. Crazy, aren't they? That's precisely why projects like Boss Baby get the green light. I wonder what ideas were rejected! :o

• Like 3

Home looks like a total trainwreck from top to bottom. No way it does much above $100m. At least there will be new Rihanna music with it.

I still dont understand why they chose her to voice the main character. It's not like her fans are going to see rihanna on-screen,and even then she's not a draw for GA. Weird choice. Better off going with Zendaya or Raven Symone atleast they have built-in kiddie fanbases. 

• Like 1

I still dont understand why they chose her to voice the main character. It's not like her fans are going to see rihanna on-screen,and even then she's not a draw for GA. Weird choice. Better off going with Zendaya or Raven Symone atleast they have built-in kiddie fanbases. 

Her stellar turn in Battleship

• Like 2

After the huge success of Madagascar 3 they should have immediately put the fourth one into development for release in 2015/16, not 2018. But I guess they (like all of us) assumed HTTYD would be their huge blockbuster franchise in the meantime.

Yes 2018 is way too late.

After the huge success of Madagascar 3 they should have immediately put the fourth one into development for release in 2015/16, not 2018. But I guess they (like all of us) assumed HTTYD would be their huge blockbuster franchise in the meantime.

They seem to wait too long to take advantage of their hits, 2018 is too long for M4 as is 2017 for Croods 2. The first Croods came along just in time  to save their butts last time, it should have been fast tracked immediately.

• Like 1