A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

I am pretty sure they are gonna sink in about 1 month. Either that or they already included Home's bombage in 2014's losses.

Katzenberg will likely step down first and try and sell the company. The studio has IP and other things that could be sold plus I doubt there going to let films that are quite far in the process to just not be released like KFP3 and Trolls.

I have no faith they will last.

Both BOO and Mumbai Musical had better premises and potential and were surely salvageable with the amount of talent they have and yet both were canceled for a $155m loss for Captain Underpants and Boss Baby to continue? Clearly their restructuring failed to discern which projects are still shit.

I think they are done. 

• Like 1

So B.O.O is canceled completely? I would have tought it would be possible for them to save it.

They would have needed that Best Animated picture Oscar to have something positive happen to them. Kung Fu Panda 3 coming this year would have also helped.

B.O.O. was the one of their original projects that I actually was looking forward to... in fact, that and Me and My Shadow were their ONLY original films I was looking forward to. :(

At this point, I feel like once HTTYD3 and KFP3 are released, Dreamworks doesn't have much left for it, unless they either uncancel the two above or actually come up with an original idea that's GOOD.

I still cannot comprehend how anybody at Dreamworks seriously thought anything about Home was a good idea at this point. From the trailers, the Dialogue sounds really awkward, the character designs are awful, the jokes are shit, and it just seems like a thoroughly unappealing film. When I saw the new Aardman film on Saturday, some kids laughed, but the groans from the parents were honestly audible. Dreamworks is in SERIOUS trouble with this.

• Like 2

DreamWorks found a buyer for their Glendale campus:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dreamworks-animation-property-sale-suntrust-20150226-story.html

Under the lease agreement, DreamWorks will pay about $13 million a year over 20 years to SunTrust.

So they're planning on being in California for at least the next twenty years.

Overseas, it faces Cinderella and Spongebob, both of which will eat into its legs especially with the excellent reviews Cinderella got.

It only faces Spongebob in the UK and Australia, as far as major markets go. 

DreamWorks found a buyer for their Glendale campus:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dreamworks-animation-property-sale-suntrust-20150226-story.html

So they're planning on being in California for at least the next twenty years.

They may not even be around in twenty years time! 

It only faces Spongebob in the UK and Australia, as far as major markets go. 

Still will have an impact, In the UK, Paddington hurt Penguins despite being in its second week and then it faced Annie and NATM3. 

Edited by Jonwo

-$155.5 million write off for cancelled films Mumbai Musical and B.O.O.

Have they ever written that much off on any two movies that they've actually completed and released?  I guess they'd rather suffer all of the losses now, even if the sum is greater, because they can't take many more of them in the future.  I'm sure that the reductions in staff and their production schedule had something to do with this, but geez, this is nearly as much as they got for their Glendale studio.

Home comes out in a month, so I guess we'll have to see how that does.

DWA having to sell and then lease back their studio in Glendale shows how bad their financial woes are. Katzenberg must on his last chance to save the studio.

The bottom line here is that they desperately need liquidity--hard cash to keep funding operations in an immediate sense.  I get what they say about owning large unencumbered assets such as the studio facility not making financial sense anyway (i.e. money should be invested in projects not real estate), but believe me, selling the studio HURT (as in JK's ego, feelings, whatever).

I am pretty sure they are gonna sink in about 1 month. Either that or they already included Home's bombage in 2014's losses.

No, they've set themselves up to keep operating for some time.  Having written off so much up front, they expect to break even for this year, apart from Home, which means that if Home makes a profit then they'll make a profit and if it takes a loss then they'll take a loss, but they'll still have enough to keep operating regardless.  The cost?  Ownership of their posh, custom studio and the rent they'll have to pay for it, which adds up quickly over time (if they'll stick around for a while), but they need cash now, so....

Regarding Home, while it won't be an immediate make-or-break event for DWA, it could of course have either a positive or negative impact on DWA's stock price, image, and attractiveness to potential buyers, and they can ill afford yet more negativity.  To think that the probable main reason that "sure bet" Penguins of Madagascar was moved up to last November was to avoid another flop, then it flopped anyway, and now DWA is stuck with the movie they were actually afraid would flop as their only theatrical release for this year.  At this point they're in survival mode until their expected hits are released, but then those will likely be canceled out by their other projects.  They need to brainstorm some better ideas and fast!

I have no faith they will last.

If they don't change for the better fairly soon and/or get bought out, then I agree.

Both BOO and Mumbai Musical had better premises and potential and were surely salvageable with the amount of talent they have and yet both were canceled for a $155m loss for Captain Underpants and Boss Baby to continue? Clearly their restructuring failed to discern which projects are still shit.

True, they kept some of the worst projects in addition to the best, showing that their decision-making is still extremely questionable.  Is this JK or his new co-presidents of animation?  Then again, for all we know the canceled projects might have been going nowhere good despite having better basic ideas.  Dare I give them the benefit of the doubt?  At this stage...NAH!

Man, this is like watching a train wreck in slow motion that got even slower but still seems just as inevitable as ever.

• Like 1