grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

I found the movie to be pretty enjoyable. The pop culture references, while not the least bit subtle, weren’t as obnoxious as you would expect them to be, and there were definitely some classic blockbuster vibes from the whole thing. 

This movie is probably about as good as a film based around “I clapped! I clapped when I saw it” possibly could be. 

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

BOT reception is strong for RPO! Am sensing #1 film in BOT-25 and best film award (no Nolan this year either).

That would be wholly unexpected and welcome considering the kind of comments this was getting in here before it opened! But I suspect it won't get that far as I believe some people will still hate it and there will be a backlash against it here in BOT by the time these awards come around.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I will say, Ready Player One being my favorite film to come out in March was a twist I did not see coming

glad it became your favorite of the month.  It maybe my favorite of the year so far, yes I know we are only 3 months in :P

but this was the only movie that had a chance to be my favorite of the month so I am glad it lived up to that.  I would be so upset if this was a bad film which has happened before with movies I was looking forward to seeing

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

So

Reveal hidden contents

That was my interpretation

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

So

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I saw it more that his memories of who he was, was there. The giant library of key moments in his life and all of his favorite things, that child version of him playing a game at the end etc... it's probably not literally "I uploaded my consciousness into this computer thing" but more showcasing the value of ones memories and that's what makes you who you are/were.

• Like 3

RP1 will be the first Hollywood hit in China this year.OD $14M-15M.3-Day OW is around Mid $50M-low$60M.WoM is excellent as Coco($189M).With Qingming Festival next Thursday,RP1 will hit $150M sooner than Dom.Maoyan even predict ¥1.6BN total.That's $250M+ for RP1.:P

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

20 minutes ago, Apollo2xx said:

I have read the book.

Can I read the spoilers? Or is there some surprise?

I read the book as well but I heard quite a bit is changed from the book so I'm trying to stay away from too many spoilers myself.

6 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Disclaimer: I only posted the news.

"Ready Player One Shows Across India Cancelled & People Are Furious"

http://theindianidiot.com/ready-player-one-cancelled/

I'm one of the ones that bought a ticket for RPO and could not watch it. 2 theatres around me do not have any showtimes for Saturday. A 3rd theater has an evening showtime. Let's hope this gets resolved. 

45 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

RP1 will be the first Hollywood hit in China this year.OD $14M-15M.3-Day OW is around Mid $50M-low$60M.WoM is excellent as Coco($189M).With Qingming Festival next Thursday,RP1 will hit $150M sooner than Dom.Maoyan even predict ¥1.6BN total.That's $250M+ for RP1.:P

sounds promising

On 3/17/2018 at 6:40 PM, WrathOfHan said:

That 175M budget is going to kill this movie. It needs to make Tarzan numbers just to break even, which seems pretty generous.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:54 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Something like this could happen IMO

Mar 29: 31M (8.1M weekdays, 39.1M Total) (3 day: 26M)

Apr 6: 15M (4.2M weekdays, 58.3M Total)

Apr 13: 7.3M (2.1M weekdays, 67.7M Total)

Apr 20: 4.2M (1.2M weekdays, 73.1M Total)

Apr 27: 1.8M (500k weekdays, 75.3M Total)

Final Total: 78M (2.52x from 4 day/3x from 3 day)

On 3/6/2018 at 9:57 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, this is gonna flop.

LAST ONES I SWEAR

• Haha 2