grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

2 hours ago, Apollo2xx said:

I have read the book.

Can I read the spoilers? Or is there some surprise?

Nothing too dramatic. I guess I'll err on the side of caution and put this in spoilers.

Spoiler

Some moderate fiddling with the plot, as you'd expect. But the main plot-points from the book and the interpretations of the characters were, imo, pretty good.

2 minutes ago, YLF said:

I seem to be the only one that didnt really like it lol. My friend liked it and the people in this forum seemed to as well.

I liked it overall. I didn't think it was great, but it was good. I thought it was slightly slow-moving for an action-thriller, but I mostly liked the characterizations.

I enjoyed the film a lot and proves Spielberg can still direct a big blockbuster, I do think that it should be a one and done film, I'm not sure where they can go with a sequel assuming the film is successful enough to warrant one but I know Ernest Cline is writing a book sequel.

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

LAST ONES I SWEAR

Man I knew it wasn't going to flop. Especially once the reviews came back from SXSW. I predicted that this would do decent while A Wrinkle In Time would be like Tomorrowland and Tomb Raider would fade quick. 

A Quiet Place is going to be huge next weekend though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I enjoyed the film a lot and proves Spielberg can still direct a big blockbuster, I do think that it should be a one and done film, I'm not sure where they can go with a sequel assuming the film is successful enough to warrant one but I know Ernest Cline is writing a book sequel.

It wasn't a cut above the rest as you would expect from Spielberg though, his power in comparison to the rest of directors isn't as big as it once was.

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It wasn't a cut above the rest as you would expect from Spielberg though, his power in comparison to the rest of directors isn't as big as it once was.

Fact is most of the (younger) filmmakers dabbling in these same sorta stories/movies (i.e. blockbusters) mostly grew up on the stuff of the original Blockbuster Titans that emerged in the 1970s/80s from Spielberg to Lucas to your boy and so forth. It's like Hitchcock in the 1970s still trying to do his own thing while these younger guys who ate his stuff up are dabbling in his sandbox now and arguably with some more vigor (Brian DePalma comes to mind in that era.) It's hard to work against copycats, its harder when you've impacted cinema enough on a multi-generational scale.  

6 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

There was too much needless toxicity against this from the beginning idk why 

I'll be honest I feared the Beard would trip here but he didn't. I'll admit I was mistaken. 

• Like 1

This was a great ride!

19 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

So

Reveal hidden contents

This is what I thought as well but...

Spoiler

A person who watched it with me is adamant it meant he was actually alive and that's why Ernest Cline is writing a sequel; to reveal that he's actually alive and so on. I guess we'll find out in a couple of years.

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Well, check what I posted in spoiler tags above. Do you think it could be about that?

• Like 1

Just now, Arlborn said:

This was a great ride!

This is what I thought as well but...

Hide contents

A person who watched it with me is adamant it meant he was actually alive and that's why Ernest Cline is writing a sequel; to reveal that he's actually alive and so on. I guess we'll find out in a couple of years.

Well, check what I posted in spoiler tags above. Do you think it could be about that?

Halliday being still alive would be interesting but how could you explain why he faked his death?

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Hide contents

Halliday being still alive would be interesting but how could you explain why he faked his death?

Spoiler

I have no clue. I asked the same to him and he said he was sure Cline will come up with a reasonable explanation.

I guess the only thing this theory has going for it is what the hell else would the sequel be about if not that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:
  Hide contents

I have no clue. I asked the same to him and he said he was sure Cline will come up with a reasonable explanation.

I guess the only thing this theory has going for it is what the hell else would the sequel be about if not that?

Maybe the dark OASIS or perhaps someone is corrupting the OASIS on the inside and the only way to stop them is to find a weapon or an item which Halliday hid in the OASIS. I'm just spitballing ideas as I've no clue either

• Like 1

The more I think about this movie the more I just know a big part of this forum is just gonna hate it. Let's see if I'm right.

I also appreciate Mark Rylance's performance in this more and more.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, YLF said:

I seem to be the only one that didnt really like it lol. My friend liked it and the people in this forum seemed to as well.

Nope. You are not alone. I had Major Problems with Everything. I just know it’s pointless to argue that it’s terrible here, because this place is legit the movie’s key demo. And It’s not really Fun to rain on people’s parade. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The more I think about this movie the more I just know a big part of this forum is just gonna hate it.

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I just know it’s pointless to argue that it’s terrible here, because this place is legit the movie’s key demo.

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3