grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

not so great, rather watch the underrated Tomorrowland again

Maybe Steven can be redeemed in Indy 5 :ph34r:

The man made Bridge of Spies less than three years ago. He is in no need of redemption.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

"the rest of directors"  I am pretty sure you are referring to That One Director only. 

I would be lying if I said he wasn't on the mind because he always is but that wasn't the intention of that post.

However I meant that E.T, Jaws, Indiana were the pinnacle of big blockbusters when they were released. Ready Player One clearly isn't.

They seem to be in a minority, but there is a coterie of book purists shitting on the movie over at Rotten Tomatoes. :lol:

Not gonna quote them over here, but I'm amazed at just how many "worse movie I've ever seen" movies have been released in the last four months. :rofl:

• Like 1

RPO gives Hook a run for its money for worst Spielberg movie ever.

I'd rather watch Hook and The Lost World again. I miss Minority Report and WOTW's Spielberg so bad. This is some Body Snatchers trickery (Spielberg's mimicry in all but name) on autopilot like a CG corpse dancing on a clunky YA script. Spielberg's Sucker Punch.

"Reality is real".

:gold:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

So I started to get really pumped for this movie in the last few weeks...because hey, I'm somewhat a nerd, I was a child of the 80s/90s and love pretty much all the movies/music/games that I thought would be referenced. It was pretty dope. The best was the adventure...the wonder, the journey that the characters go on.  Like others have said, the pop references are awesome for sure but the major players are the ones that are shown mostly in the trailers - besides a couple, ha...most of the others play a smaller role - but are still cool as hell.  But really you're caught up in a well told adventure through most of it and I'm def going to have to see it again because I know I missed quite a few references.  Overall, I liked it a lot, but didn't love it.  Something held it back from just that magical feeling you rarely get walking out.     

Saw it last night w/a couple of pals, was supposed to be tonight but we pushed it to Friday a little out of nowhere.

As a big fucking hater of the book......... I actually enjoyed it. DAMMIT SPIELBERG, WHY YOU SO GOOD THAT YOU MAKE SHITTY NOVELS WORK ON SCREEN? :kitschjob:

I mean, I have a shit ton of issues w/it (no spoilers but the Parzival/Art3mis thing is still kinda creepy at 1st; a billion plotholes; a little dull in parts; cheesy dialogue), but as a fun piece of escapism, it's fine. The big setpieces are AMAZING, and every single choice from a technical perspective is really well made. Spielberg is a Goddamn king at the art of crafting and composing shots, and this is one of his greatest technical achievements ever. I admit that I lost my shit in that one setpiece that everyone's talking about, it was pretty awesome; and on that note, the references are actually well handled, as they're not too in your face (since this is a movie, you don't have to read giant paragraphs describing those references) and they're either a thing that's quickly dropped, or they serve a purpose in the story itself. The cast is great too, w/Olivia Cooke and Ben Mendelsohn as the standouts imo. And the main characters are infinitely more likeable in the movie too, as they really do come off as awkwardly nerdy but also well meaning and well hearted.

Only a God like Spielberg could make a movie based on RPO (and co-penned by its author) work. But he pulled it off.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Hey that was a pretty fun movie. Some of the character development was a little rushed and sometimes there's so much going on the screen it becomes too much but overall I think most people will like this film and importantly the references aren't a crutch the film needs to rely on to enjoy it. The one exception I will say is there's one set piece where if you haven't seen a certain film (which I hadn't) the impact of it was lost a little on me. 

But yeah visually while it can be too much many times I was sitting there going "wow they are really going for it" in terms of volume and for the most part Spielberg and ILM pull it off.

7/10 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

I grew up in the 80s and recognized pretty much everything in the movie...did not like this movie at all.  Saw the early premiere last week at AMC and saw it again in Dolby yesterday since a friend wanted to, I have the sinemia card, and it really seems like I SHOULD have liked it.  We both really didn't like it at all...didn't work for me.  

I'll say this: I would not judge anyone that feels unsympathetic towards this movie, as it does retain a lot of the issues w/the book: 

Spoiler

Some stereotypes; a creepily rushed romance to the point of illusion from the main character; unexplained aspects like "does the in-game currency help real life at all or is it really just a game that people are taking way too seriously?"; the refusal to address how the OASIS could actually be contributing to the downfall of the real world despite evidence of such; a bajillion plot holes; character arcs pretty much bare bones, mostly just for the main character, or straight up non-existing.

BUT being a visual media helps the concept so much, as the references are worked around in a much more enjoyable way. The overall changes made were for the positive, and some moments felt like the rollercoaster ride that the concept really had potential to be. And as a video game fan since childhood, this movie did speak to that inner side of me, for damn sure. I wish I had enjoyed it more, but considering that Ernest Cline and Zak Penn were scripting it, we should've never expected a Shining-level change from book to movie, and Spielberg did about as good of a job as he could've.

Also, the three big setpieces of the movie:

Spoiler

the race, the Overlook Hotel and the ending battle (IRON GIANT VS MECHAGODZILLA MOTHAFUCKASSSS)

were absolutely awe-inspiring. One other moment I'd call a standout, though I wasn't as much of a fan.

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

My cinema  just cancelled all their IMAX screenings. Is there some kind of dispute?

Maybe? there seems to be an issue in India too where all the screenings for rpo at every theater were cancelled this weekend. Something seems up.

41 minutes ago, YLF said:

Maybe? there seems to be an issue in India too where all the screenings for rpo at every theater were cancelled this weekend. Something seems up.

India is apparently because  WB India don't want to screen the film so close to the cricket tournament whilst WB really want them too.

• Sad 1

Theater was packed for this. Movie was not great, but watchable. It had the typical Hollywood smarmimess and predictable emotional beats. It was a standard by-the-numbers blockbuster. My friends thought it was ok and "a masterpiece next to Tomb Raider or Pacific Rim 2".

One exposition heavy scene was shit and everyone hated it. I thought Spielberg was better than that.

18 minutes ago, Kraken said:

Theater was packed for this. Movie was not great, but watchable. It had the typical Hollywood smarmimess and predictable emotional beats. It was a standard by-the-numbers blockbuster. My friends thought it was ok and "a masterpiece next to Tomb Raider or Pacific Rim 2".

One exposition heavy scene was shit and everyone hated it. I thought Spielberg was better than that.

I'm taking a guess it was either

Spoiler

the dance sequence w/Wade and Ar3mis, or the ending w/Wade and Halliday.

I didn't mind the Halliday scene much, but, other than the visual appeal and the cute little moments w/them dancing Stayin' Alive and playing w/Wade's suit, the exposition in the dance sequence was pretty jarring.

If anything, I think this movie lays the foundation for either a much better sequel that explores the possibilities of the world in a far cooler way, or for a movie w/a similar gimmick that just does it better. Like, someone posted here that this is the closest thing we'll ever get to a MUGEN movie.... dammit, after this movie, I wanna see a real MUGEN movie. I imagine it'd just be a Karate Kid remake w/estabilished characters, but it would be cool.

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'm taking a guess it was either

Hide contents

the dance sequence w/Wade and Ar3mis, or the ending w/Wade and Halliday.

It was 

Spoiler

The dialogue between Sho, Wade and H when they "kidnapped" Sorrento. Felt tacked on and unnecessary. A typical "our audience is stupid" move.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kraken said:

It was 

Hide contents

The dialogue between Sho, Wade and H when they "kidnapped" Sorrento. Felt tacked on and unnecessary. A typical "our audience is stupid" move.

Spoiler

I watched it last night and I barely remember that :rofl: I remember them "kidnapping" Sorrento, but I only have a brief memory of said dialogue.

• Haha 1