grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Never doubted Spielberg

I didn't either. His track record speaks for itself. 

After months of doubt and others shitting on RPO, much of it seemingly resentless, I couldn't be happier the film turned out as well as it did. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I didn't either. His track record speaks for itself. 

After months of doubt and others shitting on RPO, much of it seemingly resentless, I couldn't be happier the film turned out as well as it did. 

A lot of people seemed to writing it off just because of the book but I knew it was never going to be faithful because A. the book's challenges would be dull on film and B. Spielberg is known for changing the source material.

This film proves Spielberg hasn't lost his touch and that The BFG's failure which I don't blame on him was a blip.

I do think marketing wise WB could have done a bit better but I do think they held back a lot due to spoilers and also most of the visuals weren't ready.

• Like 1

This was absolutely tragic.

15 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

RPO gives Hook a run for its money for worst Spielberg movie ever.

I'd rather watch Hook and The Lost World again. I miss Minority Report and WOTW's Spielberg so bad. This is some Body Snatchers trickery (Spielberg's mimicry in all but name) on autopilot like a CG corpse dancing on a clunky YA script. Spielberg's Sucker Punch.

"Reality is real".

:gold:

The cringe was real, frankly that was embarrassing.

This movie always felt like a your (patronizing) grandpa trying hard to be hip with the young & cool kids and that is exactly what it was.

So what s next with Steven :

Indy 5

&

next movie from His History Channel CU ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

A lot of people seemed to writing it off just because of the book but I knew it was never going to be faithful because A. the book's challenges would be dull on film and B. Spielberg is known for changing the source material.

This film proves Spielberg hasn't lost his touch and that The BFG's failure which I don't blame on him was a blip.

I do think marketing wise WB could have done a bit better but I do think they held back a lot due to spoilers and also most of the visuals weren't ready.

The BFG was a very nice film. It's box office failure was due to a variety of reasons, plus even the greats have flops now and again. 

I think WB marketed the film good, maybe they went a bit too "geek heavy", but given the book and film, I can't really blame them. The trailers were really successful in selling the visual wonderment / 80's style adventure angle of the film.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I have to say the lack of weird shit as Avatar's is probably the least realistic thing about the movie. Also the lack as men pretending to be little girls.

No no the most unrealistic thing was the lack of little kids and preteens cursing to all holy hell and insulting other players haha

15 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

No no the most unrealistic thing was the lack of little kids and preteens cursing to all holy hell and insulting other players haha

good point.

Far too much happiness and no flame.

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I have to say the lack of weird shit as Avatar's is probably the least realistic thing about the movie. Also the lack as men pretending to be little girls.

THIIIIIS.

Spoiler

I was like why wasn’t Sho’s avatar Faye Valentine or Usagi!!! 

I also was like: Really? No one showed up with the Titantic and then as it came closer there wasn’t an exodus of Sarah Connors and Roses and Ripleys and Neytiris in flying life boats coming aid the fight?

It was that type of lack of imagination and lack of fandom cliques that made the movie a fundamental miss for it. I thought the only time the work truly became transformative was Gundam v Godzilla. That was everything. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The BFG was a very nice film. It's box office failure was due to a variety of reasons, plus even the greats have flops now and again. 

True, I think Disney really threw it to the wolves given it was one of their last films they were to distribute with DreamWorks. 

It's not always the case but I was confident RPO was going to turn out well was because Spielberg shot The Post during its post production, that wouldn't be the case if it had turned out bad.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

True, I think Disney really threw it to the wolves given it was one of their last films they were to distribute with DreamWorks. 

It's not always the case but I was confident RPO was going to turn out well was because Spielberg shot The Post during its post production, that wouldn't be the case if it had turned out bad.

That was a pretty good sign. Showed that the studio had confidence in the final product. 

I figured it was gonna turn out well when Spielberg got involved in the first place. He has a pretty great track record when it comes to adapting novels. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, vc2002 said:

So what I read from this thread is that this movie proves Spielberg hasn't lost it and it also proves Spielberg completely lost it.

Spielberg has lost it in the real world and retained it in the virtual world.