grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

I'm listening to an interview with Spielberg and he claims that this was all done with motion capture. 

LOL.

Certainly couldn't tell that in the movie, it's all the quality of a videogame cutscene animation.

45 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

I'm listening to an interview with Spielberg and he claims that this was all done with motion capture. 

LOL.

Certainly couldn't tell that in the movie, it's all the quality of a videogame cutscene animation.

That's because it's supposed to look like a videogame. Just because it's virtual reality, that doesn't change the fact that the OASIS is a videogame.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Ready Player One had way more pre-release hate than Jumanji because it's hate is tangled up in "woke" social media circles. 

The 'woke' vs 'nerd' slap fight on Twitter (and elsewhere) is one that I will be very glad to see the back of once it finally recedes into the mists of time. :kitschjob:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The 'woke' vs 'nerd' slap fight on Twitter (and elsewhere) is one that I will be very glad to see the back of once it finally recedes into the mists of time. :kitschjob:

I think "woke" Twitter's anger stems strongly from the stereotypes and the girl being just the object of Watts' rather creepy attention (in the book, it's 10x creepier than in the movie) and nothing else despite being sold as a badass, and I'm kinda there w/them :ph34r:.

Though those are just the bottom of the barrel in regard to reasons why the novel sucked. The movie did it a lot better, one of the few times that's happened.

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If someone was truly woke would they call themselves woke? It makes them sound conformist and absolutely not woke

for instance i wouldnt say i'm woke

Edited by IronJimbo

3 minutes ago, HockeyPads said:

So it looks like this will make 500 mill worldwide on the low end.

So much for being a flop.

I'm looking forward to fake woke Twitter crying about it while trying to convince themselves that another mediocre Disney family film flopping is the end of the world. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think "woke" Twitter's anger stems strongly from the stereotypes and the girl being just the object of Watts' rather creepy attention (in the book, it's 10x creepier than in the movie) and nothing else despite being sold as a badass, and I'm kinda there w/them :ph34r:.

Though those are just the bottom of the barrel in regard to reasons why the novel sucked. The movie did it a lot better, one of the few times that's happened.

I wasn't talking about reaction to the book, per se.

Just a general observation from someone who likes to think of themselves as reasonably socially conscious (though not nearly as much as I could be) AND someone who is pretty geeky/nerdy that I am getting... tired of some of the reflexive knee-jerk takes on Twitter. 

Mind, I personally blame a lot of the toxicity on the fallout from the infamous Gamer Gate stupidity and the rise of the alt-reich in general. 

Plus, you know... (*looks over toward DC*)

So I understand why a lot of it is happening.  But just because I understand why it is happening doesn't mean I don't wish it would be over sooner than later. ;)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I wasn't talking about reaction to the book, per se.

Just a general observation from someone who likes to think of themselves as reasonably socially conscious (though not nearly as much as I could be) AND someone who is pretty geeky/nerdy that I am getting... tired of some of the reflexive knee-jerk takes on Twitter. 

Mind, I personally blame a lot of the toxicity on the fallout from the infamous Gamer Gate stupidity and the rise of the alt-reich in general. 

Plus, you know... (*looks over toward DC*)

So I understand why a lot of it is happening.  But just because I understand why it is happening doesn't mean I don't wish it would be over sooner than later. ;)

Yeah, I feel you and I get you; I was just pointing reasons particular reasons why RPO would be a target for said demo.

RANT ALERT: GamerGate is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen, and the vast majority of people who supported it was either an Alt-Reich like you mentioned, or just one of those ridiculous slobs that refuse to believe that women can also do things that are mostly known to be done by men since that shit "emasculates" manly things. "Women gotta fly to dat kitchen, cook dem meals and suck our dicks while doing it, and that's the only time of the day where they open their filthy mouths, GODDAMMIT." That's the kind of shit they'd say. As a male and straight video game fan myself, that idea that a push for more diversity both in and out of the game community is an attack on gamers themselves fucking insults me. Do I agree w/Anita Sarkeesian in that literally every single ounce of female treatment in games is a sexist disregard towards women? No, I don't. Do I think that at least 95% of GamerGate supporters are fucking douchebags? Yes.

.....sorry. When I see the name "GamerGate", it's like a bull seeing red for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do we really have to get into a political argument about this movie? It was bad enough when people on the Alt-Right tried to claim that Black Panther is an Alt-Right film (because those people apparently never saw the ending of the film), but do we really need to have this film being viewed as some kind of GamerGate-esque monstrosity? 

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Do we really have to get into a political argument about this movie? It was bad enough when people on the Alt-Right tried to claim that Black Panther is an Alt-Right film (because those people apparently never saw the ending of the film), but do we really need to have this film being viewed as some kind of GamerGate-esque monstrosity? 

Fake woke twitter believes that nonsense. 

I enjoyed the hell out of it. I can understand the complaints with the lack of character development and some references flying over the heads of most audiences, but I had so much fun with it. Got a kick out of that one scene everybody's talking about. Def see this on the biggest screen possible. Even the 3D wasn't bad for it (I usually hate 3D conversions). Also Nerd Mark Rylance ruled. Nice to see the Berg do one of his blockbusters again. 8/10