grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

This thread has been dead for a while so I thought I'd put something new in it. Here's an interview with Tye Sheridan where he talks a bit about this movie/;

http://collider.com/tye-sheridan-ready-player-one-detour-interview/#steven-spielberg

He says 60% of the movie will take place in the OASIS(virtual reality). Here's the quote and it's basically a synopsis of the movie by him, so if you don't even wanna know the smallest details about it, don't read it. It's not spoilers though, this will all be established within the first 15 minutes or so of the movie most likely:

SHERIDAN: So 60% of the film takes place in this virtual video game and 40% takes place in the real world, but the idea of the film — it’s established that this video game this virtual reality game is much more glamorous than the real world; people have jobs inside of this game which is called the OASIS, people spend their lives inside this video game. My character is kind of this loser in the real world, but in this video game the creator of the game dies and leaves behind an easter egg hidden inside of the game that holds his trillions of dollars and control of the game and he says whoever finds it in the game is the person who should take over the OASIS. So five years go by, no ones’ found the easter egg and — there are three keys in order to get to the easter egg — he’s the first one to find the first key. So his avatar becomes famous in the video game, where in the real world he’s still kind of this loser, so he’s juggling both.

Very hyped for this, this is a book that just begs a for a movie adaptation.

Edited by Arlborn

I wonder how OASIS is going to look - what point of the Sliding Scale of Uncanny Valley is it going to be in. Some of it will be CGI, definitely, but I know there's one scene they can use a real building for and embellish it with effects.

• Like 1

https://blog.vive.com/us/2017/03/27/vive-and-ready-player-one/

Vive will produce multiple pieces of VR content tied to the world of Ready Player One. This content will be available to users through Viveport, which will distribute the content globally across all VR in-home platforms, from high-end PC based VR systems to mobile solutions. In addition, Vive plans to bring Ready Player One-inspired content to its Viveport Arcade platform for location-based entertainment as well as showcase the VR experiences and games at many of the biggest global consumer events through the year.

Fitting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Damn, VR marketing for this makes so much sense. WB being smart with its marketing as usual.

43 minutes ago, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

I wonder if we can get a trailer as early as Comic Con. WB usually tries to get a lot of footage for their movies out then. 

I really hope so, I'd love an early sneak-peek.

On 27/03/2017 at 6:20 PM, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

I wonder if we can get a trailer as early as Comic Con. WB usually tries to get a lot of footage for their movies out then. 

On 27/03/2017 at 7:05 PM, Arlborn said:

I really hope so, I'd love an early sneak-peek.

I imagine the first trailer will debut at Comic Con, the film's coming out next March and WB have released teasers for films much earlier than that and it would the perfect place to have the cast and the author talk about the film, Spielberg I doubt will turn up as he'll be filming The Post. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2015 at 3:20 PM, antovolk said:

Why am I not seeing groans of “ugh yet another dystopian YA adaptation”

:lol:

Because Spielberg.

Super interested in this. Can't wait to see some footage

Edited by robertman2
  • Like 1

Looks like Ready Player One will have a first look in the form of either a teaser or a trailer. Interesting they've managed to get Spielberg to do the panel considering he's currently shooting The Papers. Ernest Cline will be there along with TJ Miller, Tye Sheridan and Olivia Cooke

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Twelve said:

I'm really excited for this. The book was pretty meh but the premise is perfect for a film.

21 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Oh well, I loved the book so you can imagine how excited I am.

I think the premise lends itself well to a visual medium, I'm curious to see the first footage. WB may have a huge hit on their hands if the trailer/teaser plays really well with the Comic Con audience

• Like 1

John Williams not scoring this shit. Alan Silvestri. bummer. apparently Williams could only do either the papers or this and picked the other. out of the two i'd have been way more interested in hearing his take on this.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john-williams-alan-silvestri-steven-spielberg-ready-player-one-the-papers-1202490105/

• Like 2

Wow! Silvestri is a worthy replacement actually, and makes sense. He's not doing much these days anyway, so I'm sure Zemeckis someone him or something. Plus since it's an 1980's throwback, so I'm sure the score will follow suit, and be very orchestral and full of themes. I'm actually looking forward to the score.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

John Williams not scoring this shit. Alan Silvestri. bummer. apparently Williams could only do either the papers or this and picked the other. out of the two i'd have been way more interested in hearing his take on this.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/john-williams-alan-silvestri-steven-spielberg-ready-player-one-the-papers-1202490105/

I'd figured he'd be more likely to do this instead of Papers because of him scoring Episode 8 likely around the same timeframe

Edited by 4815162342

32 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I'd figured he'd be more likely to do this instead of Papers because of him scoring Episode 8 likely around the same timeframe

Williams is probably more likely interested in scoring The Papers instead anyway, due to the subject matter, I'd imagine.