grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

So, just finished reading this book and well, it's the biggest nerd wish fulfillment I've ever seen! I loved it but I'm part its target audience. I'm not sure anybody who doesn't know much about any part of the so-called nerd culture would like this book much. If you consider yourself a nerd in any shape or form you should completely give this book a try though.

But yeah, I'm very curious to see how they'll make this one have mass appeal to the GA. I suppose the best way is to try going more towards the nostalgia part of it than the truly nerdy part of it and that's probably what they will end up doing. Lots of potential here, let's hope they're able to translate it into a good movie.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

So, just finished reading this book and well, it's the biggest nerd wish fulfillment I've ever seen! I loved it but I'm part its target audience. I'm not sure anybody who doesn't know much about any part of the so-called nerd culture would like this book much. If you consider yourself a nerd in any shape or form you should completely give this book a try though.

But yeah, I'm very curious to see how they'll make this one have mass appeal to the GA. I suppose the best way is to try going more towards the nostalgia part of it than the truly nerdy part of it and that's probably what they will end up doing. Lots of potential here, let's hope they're able to translate it into a good movie.

I think it will do good. Lot of the nerd culture in the book is popular today like Star Wars. mobile decides and the internet are no longer consider geeky. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goffe said:

so, I see where this is going... :depp: 

You mean the same place as the novel went? The concept art is pretty much the exact way his trailer is described. Weird for you to be disappointed by the same thing as the novel.

Book was OK. Honestly a little disappointed by it, but it is very cinematic. Ending kinda sucked IMO. Gonna be tough to explain all the backstory in movie form. It was also far more geeky than I thought it would be. Most of the references flew right over my head, had no idea what 3/4s of these things were. Many things can be heavily improved upon though, hopefully they won't feel beholden to the source material.

Holy shit! Just finished the book and omg. This was amazing. Probably one of the best books I've ever read and I've read a hell lot. Also, this has MASSIVE potential. Actually, if marketed and done perfectly (and I don;t see why not since it's WB and Spielberg we're talking about) it might be the one of the biggest stories of 2018 (I'm talking 1b big). If WB is smart it will appeal to all the worlds presented there (SW, LOTR - that Rivendell location!, D&D etc). I wonder how the rights for such a thing work. I am, is WB allowed to show the X-Wing and shit?

But by reading the book I'm wondering what the budget of the movie is, because wooooowie it must be immense. I seriously don't see how this costs less than 200m. There is no way in hell.   

• Like 2

On 10/12/2016 at 3:23 PM, James said:

Holy shit! Just finished the book and omg. This was amazing. Probably one of the best books I've ever read and I've read a hell lot. Also, this has MASSIVE potential. Actually, if marketed and done perfectly (and I don;t see why not since it's WB and Spielberg we're talking about) it might be the one of the biggest stories of 2018 (I'm talking 1b big). If WB is smart it will appeal to all the worlds presented there (SW, LOTR - that Rivendell location!, D&D etc). I wonder how the rights for such a thing work. I am, is WB allowed to show the X-Wing and shit?

But by reading the book I'm wondering what the budget of the movie is, because wooooowie it must be immense. I seriously don't see how this costs less than 200m. There is no way in hell.   

It's indeed a lovely book. Not quite one of the best books I've ever read but it's close to cracking that list.

This movie honestly is a crazy preposition. I don't think there's much chance of them actually getting it right as there's just way too much stuff to juggle, but if they do? Damn, that will be a fun ride. At least they've got the right director for this.

The budget is probably the usual 150-200m for blockbusters these days.

Just now, Arlborn said:

It's indeed a lovely book. Not quite one of the best books I've ever read but it's close to cracking that list.

This movie honestly is a crazy preposition. I don't think there's much chance of them actually getting it right as there's just way too much stuff to juggle, but if they do? Damn, that will be a fun ride. At least they've got the right director for this.

The budget is probably the usual 150-200m for blockbusters these days.

The thing is, the entire movie will be mostly VFX. The final battle scenes will making anything is Star Wars look like a joke. I seriously doubt it is less than 200m. I think it will be around 250m. 

5 minutes ago, James said:

The thing is, the entire movie will be mostly VFX. The final battle scenes will making anything is Star Wars look like a joke. I seriously doubt it is less than 200m. I think it will be around 250m. 

I know you are excited for it and I understand it but it's way too risky to invest 250m in it, be reasonable. I'm sure Spielberg can work wonders in the 150-200m range.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I know you are excited for it and I understand it but it's way too risky to invest 250m in it, be reasonable. I'm sure Spielberg can work wonders in the 150-200m range.

Lol, I'm not saying I want WB to invest that much. I want them to make money. But I simply don't see how it is as cheap as Tarzan for example.

On 8/3/2016 at 6:06 PM, Arlborn said: