grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

It's kind of hard to get annoyed when we have two Williams scores in the next half a year and one of them is a Star Wars score. Dude's 85 and just spent months scoring the biggest movie of the year; can't blame him for wanting to do a quiet (and, presumably, sparsely scored) drama instead.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Damn Spielberg making two movies concurrently! But actually Alan Silverstri is a solid replacement for this film so I'm pleased with the choice 

It's hardly the first time he's done it. Jurassic Park & Schindler's List were both done immediately after the other, same with Minority Report & Catch Me If You Can.

Edited by Fancyarcher

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's hardly the first time he's done it. Jurassic Park & Schindler's List were both immediately, same with Minority Report & Catch Me If You Can.

They were also nearly 15 and 25 years ago.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's hardly the first time he's done it. Jurassic Park & Schindler's List were both done immediately after the other, same with Minority Report & Catch Me If You Can.

I suppose if post production is that long, it's doable to do another film in the interim. Zemeckis shot What Lies Beneath in the hiatus they had for Cast Away and Andy Serkis directed Breathe and acted in several films while Jungle Book is still in post production as well

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cookie said:

They were also nearly 15 and 25 years ago.

More recently he managed to release War Horse & The Adventures of Tintin (even though that one was in production a bit longer, being animated and all & he had help from Jackson) both around Christmas.

Spielberg's always being efficient at getting films done on time, enough that there are several years where 2 films he's directed have one released, the first during the summer, and the second is usually during Christmas.

Edited by Fancyarcher

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suppose if post production is that long, it's doable to do another film in the interim. Zemeckis shot What Lies Beneath in the hiatus they had for Cast Away and Andy Serkis directed Breathe and acted in several films while Jungle Book is still in post production as well

Likely. Post-production is a very long process these days, so I'm sure Spielberg's who's been involved with a sudden string of films, will find enough time to make two movies a year again, at least. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

More recently he managed to release War Horse & The Adventures of Tintin (even though that one was in production a bit longer, being animated and all & he had help from Jackson) both around Christmas. Spielberg's always being efficient at getting films done on time, enough that there are several years where 2 films he's directed have one released, the first during the summer, and the second is usually during Christmas.

Things like The Papers, Catch Me if You Can and War Horse for example aren't as post production heavy compared to something like Ready Player One so they can shot relatively quickly and be edited and released within a few months. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Things like The Papers, Catch Me if You Can and War Horse for example aren't as post production heavy compared to something like Ready Player One so they can shot relatively quickly and be edited and released within a few months. 

True, which is probably why Spielberg will leave Ready Player One, and head straight to the set of The Papers. It's not that hard of a film to make when compared to the earlier (RPO).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

True, which is probably why Spielberg will leave Ready Player One, and head straight to the set of The Papers. It's not that hard of a film to make when compared to the earlier (RPO).

Theyre shooting The Papers at the moment which I imagine is almost done as Spielberg is taking a break to promote RPO in two weeks. Most of the physical aspect of RPO was filmed last year so I assume Spielberg and WB are happy with how it's progressing to let him film another film

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Theyre shooting The Papers at the moment which I imagine is almost done as Spielberg is taking a break to promote RPO in two weeks. Most of the physical aspect of RPO was filmed last year so I assume Spielberg and WB are happy with how it's progressing to let him film another film

I can see that. The Papers is looking to be a Christmas / thanksgiving release anyway.

Edited by Fancyarcher

There's so much talk here about Steven Spielberg doing two movies at the same time or back-to-back. You guys should really check out my thread about the history of amazing box-office stories. I go year by year starting in 1972 and discuss all of the great box-office stories from each year mostly dealing with the top 10. 1993 is not complete yet but I did start off with a tribute to Spielberg because of Jurassic Park and Schindler's List. For those of you who have no idea that the thread exists you might really enjoy it as it's very informative and deals with a lot of the history of the box office. I'm learning a lot researching year by year. If you are interested in it just look at my signature and it's the very last heading.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

People forget he made The Lost World and Amistad in the same year too and Saving Private Ryan 7 months later.

in 14 months the Berg released 3 movies. 

He did take a break after Saving Private Ryan as his next wasn't until 2001 with AI

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

He did take a break after Saving Private Ryan as his next wasn't until 2001 with AI

3 year gap is a normal director break and He had 2 movies again in 2002. So from 1997 to 2002 he released 6 films, pulling a Woody Allen but with massive budgets