grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

5 minutes ago, Goffe said:

:WHATanabe:

Indy 4, Tintin and The BFG

Tintin was a 2 weeks MO CAP shoot, Animated side project, not a Spielberg Blockbuster. BFG is a Berg Family film like ET or something, INDY 4 will be 9 years old when this comes out and it was bad, hence why we all want an awesome fun Spielberg Blockbuster (because Indy 4 didn't deliver) His last great big budget action film was super dark and serious and also in 2002, or even 2005 if you like WoW. Since then he's made like 4 dramas

Edited by Jay Hollywood

Honestly, the project was such a riff on Spielberg (and Spielbergian-era stuff) that it does feel a bit on point for him to direct it. Of course it'll probably be a fine, fun movie, but it does feel like the sort of project that one of the younger generation directors could've jumped on. Spielberg can direct this sort of thing in his sleep.

• Like 2

i sorta get pretty annoyed at how easily dismissed modern spielberg is by movie bros up and down the internet. as far as i'm concerned dude can still hit home runs with just the best intuitive ease. but man, i really hated this book...

• Like 1

any other filmmaker had done some of the work he's been throwing out the last few years people woulda gone nuts for it. i dunno what people want from spielberg these days. I think there's gonna be a serious re-evaluation of these films in 20 or so years.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Honestly, the project was such a riff on Spielberg (and Spielbergian-era stuff) that it does feel a bit on point for him to direct it. Of course it'll probably be a fine, fun movie, but it does feel like the sort of project that one of the younger generation directors could've jumped on. Spielberg can direct this sort of thing in his sleep.

I reckon Robert Zemeckis would also been a good choice for RPO apart from Spielberg. I wonder who else WB approached before they landed Spielberg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I reckon Robert Zemeckis would also been a good choice for RPO apart from Spielberg. I wonder who else WB approached before they landed Spielberg

wasn't it supposedly gonna be Nolan for a hot minute?

Coolio and I are on the same page. Spielberg has fallen from his peak, but he's churninh out fantasic films that most filmmakers would kill for. Bridge of Spies and Lincoln were both top 5 films in their respective years, IMO. And those are his last 2 films, both released within the past 5 years.

10 hours ago, Telemachos said:

It's not going to be serious. Which is fine.

Yeah, overall it'll be more light than AI and MR for obvious reasons, but I was going off his own remarks of the books themes. Probably not much more than a fun blockbuster with a dash of social commentary for serious nature. The adventure itself is decidely very fun and energetic.

I must say I am intrigued with the direction Berg takes on this. The project reeks of the kind of thing that'd be handed to some indie fanboy director or whoever made the latest me earl dying girl shindig. He's really a jack of all trades, and whatever he does with the project, it's going to be something cool.

As a side note, I regret not giving Bridge of Spies a higher spot on my list. Hanks didn't get nearly enough love for the movie either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I think Bridge of Spies might have been my favorite Speilberg since Catch Me if You Can

It's my second best Spielberg film of the 2010's. I actually prefer Lincoln over it, slightly more. Great film nonetheless.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1