Quigley

Friday numbers: THG3 - 6.8, HB2 - 2.8, PoM - 2.6 (weekend actuals on p12)

Not much major movies during the holidays except the Hobbit but thats it. And January I don't know anything good there til probably Feb. and March with Jupiter and Insurgent.

Jupiter won't make any money. I think Into the Woods might be underestimated though.

With weak competition this week, MJ1 benefited. I think the arrival of the Hobbit finale next week will result in a harder fall, though. 

The Hobbit doesn't open until the 17th. Exodus might hurt it though, it could go either way.

I also think people are underestimating a lot of holiday movies coming out. Especially Annie and Unbroken (even with it's bad reviews). Both are getting a lot of advertising. We will see....

• Like 1

Not having to compete with a Frozen type monster is helping MJ 

#HungerGames #Mockingjay threepeats. $6.6M FRI heading to about $22M wknd, 61% drop. CatchingFire fell 65% on same wknd.

I feel it's the lack of marketing that's helping its legs more than anything. Not enough people knew it was coming out when it was, leading to the huge OW crash it had and now the better than normal legs despite many agreeing it's the worst in the franchise. I think there's still a decent chunk of that 40m worth of people it lost on OW that are just now seeing it. The movie was expected to create its own awareness by LG, which is ridiculous even for a mega franchise.

• Like 1

I think that BH6 will have a good Saturday bump with the good Friday bump.  Its Friday increase was larger than Frozen and Ralph's of the same week.  Come on BH6 get $8.5M its within reach.

It's Friday increase is slightly lower than WiR, and Frozen's corresponding Friday was the Christmas weekend when increases don't work the same way. BH6 has been ultra consistent with regard to WiR, it started 10-12% higher and has basically followed WiR exactly the same since day 1 (neglecting Veteran's day not being the same day), both fell the same amounts each weekend, both fell below 1M on the same day of their run, and both have been showing very similar increase and decreases.

• Like 1

It's Friday increase is slightly lower than WiR, and Frozen's corresponding Friday was the Christmas weekend when increases don't work the same way. BH6 has been ultra consistent with regard to WiR, it started 10-12% higher and has basically followed WiR exactly the same since day 1 (neglecting Veteran's day not being the same day), both fell the same amounts each weekend, both fell below 1M on the same day of their run, and both have been showing very similar increase and decreases.

Damn it I accidentally used the 7th instead on Nov 31 for the Friday with Ralph so I though it had a better increase than Ralph and Frozen for that weekend and was hoping it would therefore have a good Saturday :( I need to check my dates better before posting

Damn it I accidentally used the 7th instead on Nov 31 for the Friday with Ralph so I though it had a better increase than Ralph and Frozen for that weekend and was hoping it would therefore have a good Saturday :( I need to check my dates better before posting

Frozen had a bigger OW and better legs than Tangled.

Your first mistake was trying to compare BH6 and Frozen boxoffice in the first place. BH6 has been having typical animated movie legs. :ph34r:

Edited by Mojoguy

Into the Wood would be a nice hit these holiday season. I think over $120 is very likely

I'm wondering if would have been smarter to put the Frozen short with Into the Woods. The Frozen short will even have a song! Seemed like the perfect fit.

Into the Woods needs it more since the ceiling for the movie is 150M, while the ceiling for Cinderella is 250m DOM.

But I guess I should be happy the Frozen short is getting attached to a movie more people will see. :thinking:

• Like 1

This weekend was never anticipated to be "exciting" but at least it's not "boring" (cough cough Sept 5-7) the next few weekends will pick up.

35(ish)M debut from Exodus?

A potential 100M 5-day weekend for Hobbit.

20M+ for both Annie and NATM3, with the latter maybe hitting 30.

And 3 wildcards that could all do 25M+ OW with Into the Woods, Unbroken, and the Interview.

Not to mention the sweet drops some of these movies will have!

The lack of absolutely anything opening this weekend might have caused the drops to be softer than they would have

Which is why I think HB2 and Interstellar will have a sharp drop next weekend, since both Exodus and Top Five are geared towards their target audiences. (Not really, but close enough)

Edited by sfran43