Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

5 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Prometheus trailer is arguably better than this alien trailer. Better sharp cuts, much more intense without spoiling much. Better use of music. The way I see it, Fox has a turkey and is trying real hard to cover it up and has us believe it is not so.  

I have already hinted this before. There is a reason why fox did the preview thing for all their upcoming spring/summer tentpoles to hype up the journalists and make even weak things look great. 

People still couldn't figure out what I meant by HUGE difference between this and Prometheus. Look hard at the trailer man...it gives away...and lines up with what I have heard. They are keeping things under wraps on this one and are positioning this movie (ex: moving up the release) in a way that it is making people believe that everything is hunky dory. After all, they want to maintain great relations with Ridley and Fassbender. 

Another hint: Ridley's last couple of big films have one thing in common...

Edited by marveldcfox

2 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I have already hinted this before. There is a reason why fox did the preview thing for all their upcoming spring/summer tentpoles to hype up the journalists and make it look like all is great in the land of fox. 

People still couldn't figure out what I meant by HUGE difference between this and Prometheus. Look hard at the trailer man...it gives away...and lines up with what I have heard. They are keeping things under wraps on this one and are positioning this movie (moving up the release) in a way that it is making people believe that everything is hunky dory. Afterall, they want to maintain great relations with Ridley and Fassbender. 

Why cant you just spit it out 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Why cant you just spit it out 

3D and IMAX canned just like they did for Fant4stic. They are keeping things under wrap unlike that movie where it was easy to scapegoat the director because of couple of his on-set foolish moments and a gem of a tweet close to the release of the film.

They want to continue to maintain relations with Ridley and Fass so they will make everyone believe everything is going smoothly on this, but nah...like I said it is a B slasher/horror/gore/action film..nothing more. And I will enjoy the hell out of it but anyone expecting anything more are going to be seriously disappointed. The fact FOX has canned 3d and imax release for a big budget Ridley movie speaks volumes....even Exodus got 3d release!!!!!

Edited by marveldcfox

27 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I have already hinted this before. There is a reason why fox did the preview thing for all their upcoming spring/summer tentpoles to hype up the journalists and make even weak things look great. 

People still couldn't figure out what I meant by HUGE difference between this and Prometheus. Look hard at the trailer man...it gives away...and lines up with what I have heard. They are keeping things under wraps on this one and are positioning this movie (ex: moving up the release) in a way that it is making people believe that everything is hunky dory. After all, they want to maintain great relations with Ridley and Fassbender. 

All distributed by 20th Century Fox? All have the same cinematographer? All directed by Ridley Scott?

edit: Just saw your other post. I think it's too early to say. You could always be right, but not having IMAX/3D is hardly a death sentence for films these days.

Edited by AABATTERY

12 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

All distributed by 20th Century Fox? All have the same cinematographer? All directed by Ridley Scott?

edit: Just saw your other post. I think it's too early to say. You could always be right, but not having IMAX/3D is hardly a death sentence for films these days.

The trailer at the end says only "In premium formats". If it was releasing in any other format, it would have mentioned "Digital 3D" and/or "Imax" just like in the Logan and War of the planet of the apes trailers. I am very sure this was supposed to release in those formats as well. When even the godawful Exodus gets 3d treatment but sequel to Prometheus (which was 3d and imax) doesn't then you know something is not right. The fact they moved the film up has nothing to do with confidence. They are cutting corners and want to get it out soon before the word gets out that it isn't anything more than what the trailer shows. I would be happy with that but people have unrealistic expectations from a Ridley directed alien movie.

Not having 3d and imax ain't a death sentence, but it will definitely affect its boxoffice worldwide if the reviews are not good. Prometheus did 400+WW. This would be lucky if it does same numbers without 3d and imax. 

Edited by marveldcfox

Massive Alien fan here, but unfortunately the trailer looks quite underwhelming. The music is terrible, it shows too much, and there's just too much Prometheus in there. I won't give up hope, but this doesn't look nearly as good as the new Blade Runner. 

14 hours ago, The Futurist said:

It s absolutely fascinating to see how pop culture is suffering an incurable case of stuttering.

Also, A Good Year, Body Of lies, Robin Hood, Prometheus, The Counselor, Exodus : Gods & Kings really showcased what an accomplished & nuanced storyteller Ridley Scott really is.

:ohmygod:

The thing about the aliens movies is that the story can go only go in so many different directions. Basically what you have is a bunch of Xenomorphs chasing a bunch of human beings. So when these movies are great it's because you have a terrific script and terrific Direction. You need very interesting characters and you need a director who can get a lot of tension out of each scene. That's all it comes down to. I hope this is really good but as of right now I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

The thing about the aliens movies is that the story can go only go in so many different directions. Basically what you have is a bunch of Xenomorphs chasing a bunch of human beings. So when these movies are great it's because you have a terrific script and terrific Direction. You need very interesting characters and you need a director who can get a lot of tension out of each scene. That's all it comes down to. I hope this is really good but as of right now I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

At least, Prometheus tried to be philosophical and asked some serious questions though it didn't succeed. Alien 5 looks like a straight-up slasher film or a remake of Alien 1979.

And I'm totally fine with it being a remake. It just has to have some good characters and a good script and some good tension. The last really good Aliens film was 30 years ago in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

At least, Prometheus tried to be philosophical and asked some serious questions though it didn't succeed. Alien 5 looks like a straight-up slasher film or a remake of Alien 1979.

I find it funny when a WB guy talks about quality when of late majority of their tentpoles have ranged from garbage-mediocre.

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

I find it funny when a WB guy talks about quality when of late majority of their tentpoles have ranged from garbage-mediocre.

That's the very beauty of irony and it shows how absurd it is to have a billion-dollar studio spend millions of dollar on film projects of which no one even cares to check the freaking scripts.  

I still don't get what's this movie about. Is it a direct sequel to Prometheus? Or another Alien movie? Because everything in the trailer screamed as Prometheus 2.0.

I would prefer way more a sequel to Prometheus than another Alien, even with it's flaws, Prometheus was a ambitious movie, with a beautiful visual and complex ideas that just needed a better development, a sequel could fix its problem, and expand the mythology of the series way more than a rehash of the first Alien.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

10 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I still don't get what's this movie about. Is it a direct sequel to Prometheus? Or another Alien movie? Because everything in the trailer screamed as Prometheus 2.0.

I would prefer way more a sequel to Prometheus than another Alien, even with it's flaws, Prometheus was a ambitious movie, with a beautiful visual and complex ideas that just needed a better development, a sequel could fix its problem, and expand the mythology of the series way more than a rehash of the first Alien.

Its both. It takes place 10 years after Prometheus. 

Basically, I think Fox saw the general reaction to Prometheus, which was mixed at best, and sort of pushed Scott to get it back to being more about the aliens; which is something that is much more recognizable to audiences. 

Plus, all that stuff about Alien 5 being written and directed by Blumkamp probably made Scott realize he needed to get these movies back to being, again, about the aliens and there origins and less about the engineers. 

That's just how I took it when all that was going down. 

• Like 1

UGH. That trailer really does look like a remake of Alien, except now it's an 80's slasher film complete with shower sex scene kills! This couldn't be more depressing. Prometheus was a fantastic blueprint of where Ridley needed to keep going with this franchise, he just needed to smooth out the rough edges in the script and character development this time. But no, now we take three giant steps backwards instead. Hope the trailer is at least a little misleading for what they're going for here, but it matches up with what's been said about it so I doubt it.