#ED

American Sniper (2014)

American Sniper  

89 members have voted

1. 1. American Sniper

What's the deal with the fake baby thing? I see a lot of people talking about it but i didn't even notice...

Seriously? That was so glaring and pulled me out of the film for a bit. I honestly think they used a plastic doll.

• Like 3

Yeah we should all join the u.s army and be brainwashed . Damn us for living "easy normal lives" . I mean why respect a surgeon that saves lives when we can have "heroes" like this piece of scum ?

Oh and not all armies are like the American one, most are about JUST DEFENDING THEIR COUNTRY , not slaughtering and bombing millions just to occupy a country , thousands of miles away from the u.s . By the way I have served 18 months near the Turkish/Greek borders and I know a thing or two about how the army works .

Seriously the positive opinion and defenses of how Eastwood portrays this scum , in this forum...WOW !!!!

Vietnam gave us "apocalypse now" , the occupation of the Middle East gives us flag waving abominations like this, oh how the world has changed for the worse .

I love how "kill the messenger" was completely ignored while this piece of trash gets the oscar nomination and the big b.o numbers. That's the call of duty generation , I guess .

I like how sterotypes all the people in the Anerican army but defend you country. Stop being so narrow minded and think Greece is better than everybody else.

What's the deal with the fake baby thing? I see a lot of people talking about it but i didn't even notice...

I cant remember the fake baby thing

It was during one of the talks between Cooper and Miller at home in the nursery right after the daughter was born.

If you look at it, you can tell they even CGI'ed hand movements in one part and when they were passing the baby around, it never moved at all.  It was just there in their arms.  Yes, if you look for it, for even a second, it was very obvious, if you were just looking at the performances, you can miss it.

I like how sterotypes all the people in the Anerican army but defend you country. Stop being so narrow minded and think Greece is better than everybody else.

Give me a break , is that what you got from my reply ? Hell I don't even consider Alexander the Great "great" . The American army is almost in every country these days so of course it will be judged differently from other armies .

As for the "you are not in his shoes" argument you can excuse every kind of criminal with this . A serial killer is a madman ,"you are not in his shoes so don't judge " , a guy that walks into a school and kills women and children the same , you can excuse any form of crime with this line of thinking .

As far as wars go,I never consider members of an occupation force "heroes" , they are just mercenaries in my book . If Eastwood had the balls he would have made the real story of this guy into a movie but of course then people will have hated it and no big b.o numbers .

Again after movies like "apocalypse now" and "platoon" this movie looks like a sick joke .

• Like 3

It was during one of the talks between Cooper and Miller at home in the nursery right after the daughter was born.

If you look at it, you can tell they even CGI'ed hand movements in one part and when they were passing the baby around, it never moved at all. It was just there in their arms. Yes, if you look for it, for even a second, it was very obvious, if you were just looking at the performances, you can miss it.

I take in everything on the screen when I watch so it was very jarring for me.

I know its fucked up, and most likely true. Why else would anyone want to join the marines or become a sniper, because they like the weather in afghan?

This is not only wrong but offensive to any one who ever served in the military.  It's like saying all people join the police to terrorize and shoot people instead of to protect and serve or people become surgeons because they have a god complex and like to cut up people for fun

Killing is not why people join the armed forces unless they are sociopaths.  Do not take what Kyle was and conflate it to millions of other people.  He's no more indicative of people in the military than Jake G's character in Nightcrawler is of people in the media. 

Sociopaths can fit in and flourish anywhere -  military, media, professional athlete, surgeons, police, accountants, lawyers, ministers and CEOs. (who reportedly have the largest number of sociopaths of any profession)

• Like 5

Give me a break , is that what you got from my reply ? Hell I don't even consider Alexander the Great "great" . The American army is almost in every country these days so of course it will be judged differently from other armies .

As for the "you are not in his shoes" argument you can excuse every kind of criminal with this . A serial killer is a madman ,"you are not in his shoes so don't judge " , a guy that walks into a school and kills women and children the same , you can excuse any form of crime with this line of thinking .

As far as wars go,I never consider members of an occupation force "heroes" , they are just mercenaries in my book . If Eastwood had the balls he would have made the real story of this guy into a movie but of course then people will have hated it and no big b.o numbers .

Again after movies like "apocalypse now" and "platoon" this movie looks like a sick joke .

I agree what is known about the guy is disturbing and most likely not a great person.  I would have liked to see that take on him. I not saying that there is excuses for how he bragged about killing people but the war could have affected on people.  I agree there are no heroes in wars. No war is ever just. War affect thousands to millions people. 

• Like 3

This is not only wrong but offensive to any one who ever served in the military.  It's like saying all people join the police to terrorize and shoot people instead of to protect and serve or people become surgeons because they have a god complex and like to cut up people for fun

Killing is not why people join the armed forces unless they are sociopaths.  Do not take what Kyle was and conflate it to millions of other people.  He's no more indicative of people in the military than Jake G's character in Nightcrawler is of people in the media. 

Sociopaths can fit in and flourish anywhere -  military, media, professional athlete, surgeons, police, accountants, lawyers, ministers and CEOs. (who reportedly have the largest number of sociopaths of any profession)

People who sign up to be on the navy seals are under intense training to basically be killing machines in the most tactical possible way and you're telling me they don't get a buzz out of killing someone? I may have been a bit broad by bringing the whole military into this but I think it's safe to say the majority of navy seals aren't sweet hearts.

• Like 2

Fair point

Shooting an armed threat is a little different than going into a school and killing a bunch of innocent women and children.

This Is Hollywood, it's there solely for business purposes. Movies are made for entertainment and showing this guy in a 'slightly' sugar-coated way is a great business decision, why are you so surprised by this? And I say slightly because he was no angel in the film, even suggested at one scene in the movie that he didn't have a problem with killing people which is your main argument here.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

It's pretty good.

I think I liked the stuff on the home front more than the actual battles. The only scenes that made me really sweat were the one from the trailer and another similar scene. I feel like it's kind of repetitive as a war film, but the drama on the homefront is more interesting, especially with the discussion of his PTSD.

I feel like the movie does glorify him, but it leaves it to your interpretation whether or not it's really pro-war or not. I don't really see it as such, since it becomes clear all that he had been through really messed him up and had him grasping at his humanity at the end of the film.

I also feel like the epilogue could have been straight omitted however, just replace it with a credits bio card. As it is, it's rather manipulative to say the least.

Either way, it's a solid film and I see why it's stiking a chord with so many.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 4