#ED

American Sniper (2014)

American Sniper  

89 members have voted

1. 1. American Sniper

It is honorable. My nation state as you put it is my family my friends my culture my life. My country is what allowed me to become who I am giving me opportunities and a life. killing if necessary to defend all that you know and love is honorable. Evil does exist in this world and people exist whose only wish is to destroy my way of life and culture and killing these people is a necessary task. When bin laden died what did you do.

This is shockingly stupid. I'm legit floored.

"People exist whose only wish is to destroy my way of life and culture and killing these people is a necessary task."

Spoken like a true robot. And the irony hits with the force of a thousand meteorites.

• Like 10

Ehhh..... I feel like sometimes I was born into the wrong century, but there is still a concept called 'Serving your nation' and joining 'For Queen and Country' and 'For King and Empire.' I think it's perfectly acceptable explanation for the people in the army and in the civil service. Otherwise, why would you ever want to dedicate your life to hardship (physically and metaphorically) for paltry pay? 

If you were talking about an executioner, I would agree with you and say that they probably joined because they get off on killing people, but I think that for you to reduce the want to join the armed forces to 'getting off on killing' is frankly not only rude, but inaccurate and kinda demeaning to the people who do choose that job. I'm not a great proponent of militarism or war by any means and I think that war, whenever undertaken, should only be as an absolute last resort in the protection and/or promotion of the direct self-interest of a country. But at the end of the day, these are still men and women who risk their lives out there at least nominally in the name of their Country and for a just cause and the least we can do is not write them off and call them psychopaths. It's the decent, moral human thing to do. 

Hey I retracted it didn't I? I shouldn't have brought the whole military into this but I stand by my word that you've got to be a little fucked up want to be a navy seal. Im not even writing them off as psychopaths. We need people like them at the end of the day, they do a good job at serving their country and enjoy it at the same time. Its very far from inaccurate, you all seem to be painting pretty little pictures in your head of what the navy seals are actually like. Get Someee

This is offensive 

Hardly, Navy seals are a very tiny percentage of the military and I don't see how you can find what I said offensive at all. Its just the truth

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

It is honorable. My nation state as you put it is my family my friends my culture my life. My country is what allowed me to become who I am giving me opportunities and a life. killing if necessary to defend all that you know and love is honorable. Evil does exist in this world and people exist whose only wish is to destroy my way of life and culture and killing these people is a necessary task. When bin laden died what did you do.

Wait a minute how was the Iraq war an act of "defending" the u.s ? Evil exists but that evil is the one that financed some of the worst coupes in history in South America (and in my country) with people like Pinochet being good friends with Reagan and thatcher . You think bin laden is evil (which he is ) but one could argue that most, if not all u.s governments are the epitome of evil and are responsible for killing millions of people in the last few decades , same thing applies to Israel . At least at one time there was the excuse of the "communist threat" but u.s became even more aggressive after communism died . So please spare me the "sense of duty" bullshit that people like Kyle had and the rest of us lack .
  • Like 6

Wait a minute how was the Iraq war an act of "defending" the u.s ? Evil exists but that evil is the one that financed some of the worst coupes in history in South America (and in my country) with people like Pinochet being good friends with Reagan and thatcher . You think bin laden is evil (which he is ) but one could argue that most, if not all u.s governments are the epitome of evil and are responsible for killing millions of people in the last few decades , same thing applies to Israel . At least at one time there was the excuse of the "communist threat" but u.s became even more aggressive after communism died . So please spare me the "sense of duty" bullshit that people like Kyle had and the rest of us lack .

Well to be fair, we do lack that so he's every right to say it lol.

So about that plastic baby, is Warner gonna pull a Lucas for the home video release and CGI this cheap abomination ?

Captain Obvious : This movie wouldn t be this succesful if the script has taken into account the so many disturbing things you can find in Kyle s autobiography. Some of his quotes are creepy as frak, whatever the causes that made him say those awful things.

• Like 2

So this movie clearly has it's flaws; only getting one or two scenes between tour bothered me. I found the war scenes intense but some of them not as intense as I would've liked.

Cooper killed it but I wasn't blown away by anyone else in this film. When Cooper shines in this movie he really shines. The first and last bit without the war stuff in between were the most effective moments.

This movie isn't perfect but two days after seeing it I find myself thinking about it quite a bit, it's really imbedded itself in my head. When I think back to it I still feel that cold stone feeling I felt walking out of the movie theater.

A

Miller doesn't have a character. She might as well be a floating head in the mind of Kyle. Which is my main issue with the film, really. Cooper is wonderful but he can't even elevate this script too far.

Yep, you clearly hate movies.