#ED

American Sniper (2014)

American Sniper  

89 members have voted

1. 1. American Sniper

I can't believe how seriously fucking amazing Bradley Cooper is in this film. I just can't. I've grown to like him a lot as actor but once I saw this I walked out thinking I just saw one of the best performances ever. Like, give this man all the oscars. Solid direction from Eastwood but Cooper really put the movie on his back and carried it.

The movie as a whole was pretty good, I give it a solid B.

• Like 2

The movie isn't realy special, story is a bit 'meh'. Overall it was enjoyable and yes now I get why everyone is talking about Cooper, he is freaking good in this movie.

Solid C+ 60/100

And robot baby's are f. creepy

Edited by pepsa

Both my grandfathers fought in WWII one was in the Navy on a sub,  the other with the Army.  Sadly the one in the Navy died before I was born.  And my grandfather in the Army died when I was about 11.  Both fought in the Pacific Theater.  The only thing I remember my grandpa telling me about the war was a guy who became his best friend and a village they visited in New Guinea.  But according to my parents neither of the father's spoke about the war.

• Like 2

Cooper is terrific in it, and all the hubbub over the movie being "pro-war" or comparable to that Nazi film in Inglourious Basterds is utter bullshit. The movie portrays war as the horrifying, dehumanizing experience it is, and does a great job depicting the ways it changes Kyle, and the battle sequences are all nicely staged especially considering the chaotic environment they take place in.

Unfortunately they did try to cram way too much of his life in too short a span and his courtship and family life are severely short-changed. While they're there in the film they don't really feel developed enough to resonate beyond the surface conflict with the war they are to Chris. I felt the final scene was badly mishandled, as well. Would've been a lot more effective if it didn't portray the guy who was about to murder Kyle with such an unsubtly foreboding air.

I give it a B+, definitely worth seeing, but far from perfect.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

btw, isn't it funny that interrogation in this movie actually gives the soldiers the truth, rather than a random jumble of scared words that vaguely sound like what the soldiers want to hear? it's a right-wing fantasy that justifies torture.

i heard ZERO DARK THIRTY was equally fictional in that sense.

btw, isn't it funny that interrogation in this movie actually gives the soldiers the truth, rather than a random jumble of scared words that vaguely sound like what the soldiers want to hear? it's a right-wing fantasy that justifies torture.

i heard ZERO DARK THIRTY was equally fictional in that sense.

this film may not be everyone cup of tea, but what you are saying is absolute crap.

• Like 5

I think Fury get awards for showing the horrors of war better than any other war movie this year but its a shame the film as a whole kinda sucked. The ending was just such a Hollywood cliché, so far fetched that it took me completely out of the movie.

• Like 2