grim22

The Greatest Showman | PT Barnum Biopic starring Hugh Jackman. Fox releasing. Christmas 2017

Hugh Jackman's 'The Greatest Showman' Just Set A New Box Office Record

....has earned a whopping $15.2m over its second Fri-Sun frame. That may not seem like much, but it's a 73% jump over its $8.8m opening Fri-Sun frame.

And that, ladies and gents, is a record "hold" for a movie playing in over 3,000 theaters. Heck, it's the best weekend hold ever for a movie on more than 2,000 screens where the opening weekend wasn't one or two days (IE - when Christmas fell on a Saturday or Sunday). Actually, among all films that opened over 600 theaters or screens, The Greatest Showman has the sixth-biggest second-weekend jump for a film that actually had a full Fri-Sun weekend, and two of the other five are reissues of Walt Disney animated features.

Good read:

The Critical Sin of ‘The Greatest Showman’: It’s Defiantly Uncool

The movie whitewashes Barnum himself, taking someone who was an exploitative profiteer and turning him into a saintly grinning maestro-with-a-dream played with rambunctious gusto by Hugh Jackman. And I haven’t even mentioned all that catchy Broadway dance pop, staged in music-video numbers that look like something out of a family-friendly version of “Moulin Rouge!”

In reaction to these criticisms, I can only say: Yes, yes, yes, and yes. “The Greatest Showman” is, does, and commits each of those mortal cinematic sins. It’s an ultra-square movie. It salutes the Bearded Lady, Tom Thumb, and the rest as if they were members of some persecuted minority group united in a chorus of “What I Did for Love.” And if you’re looking for “reality,” you’d be better off saving your ticket money and spending 20 dutiful minutes perusing the P.T. Barnum page on Wikipedia.

Yet the historical-accuracy point, which has been made by more than a few critics, raises a telling question. Namely: Who in God’s name goes to a kaleidoscopic musical about P.T. Barnum looking for a chronicle of the complex historical figure he really was? As someone who has often argued for greater reality in movies, I might feel differently if the film were some epic dramatic P.T. Barnum biopic. But it’s not. It has roughly the same relation to the P.T. Barnum story — glancing, affectionate, fanciful — as “Singin’ in the Rain” does to the history of the waning days of silent film. “The Greatest Showman” is unabashedly a concoction. But here’s the thing: It’s a passionate and bedazzling one, a gracefully crafted tall tale that glides by without belaboring a moment. It’s as if Baz Luhrmann went back in time and made a musical for MGM in the late ’40s.

• Like 5

^I agree with what was said there. The whole time I kept thinking, damn I should hate this for how it's romanticizing this guy when I don't even have to do any research to know he was no saint, but dammit if this doesn't do what it sets out to very well. It very much indeed is a "passionate and bedazzling" Hollywood concoction, and taking it as such it's pretty much an all out triumph. 

Crazy about the hold. I think this will hit 100+. The music is actually extremely memorable, which was probably the most shocking part of all of it for me. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

^I agree with what was said there. The whole time I kept thinking, damn I should hate this for how it's romanticizing this guy when I don't even have to do any research to know he was no saint, but dammit if this doesn't do what it sets out to very well. It very much indeed is a "passionate and bedazzling" Hollywood concoction, and taking it as such it's pretty much an all out triumph. 

Crazy about the hold. I think this will hit 100+. The music is actually extremely memorable, which was probably the most shocking part of all of it for me. 

That was the least shocking part given that the songs were written by the La La Land people. 

My sister went and saw this with her 6yr old son and both loved it very much. My nephew wants to go again.

When talking to my sister she went with some girlfriends and their 7-10 yr old kids as well. I asked her about Coco and she said that in this group none of them wanted to see that. However, The Circus is now quickly becoming a thing of the past so it's somewhat romanticized and the kids don't know different they just liked it.

Sounds like from this convo I expect it to be getting solidly good Word of Mouth. Not sure how widespread that is but the holding steady numbers lends me to think my sister and her mom friends are not likely outliers. 

I want this to succeed. The Hugh Jackman fan in me has been rooting for it even if it'll be Netflix before I see it. 

• Like 1

So, $75.9 million through Sunday, with the smallest drop in the top 30 this weekend. How long do we think until it hits 100M? Two more weekends?

Worldwide total is at $150M and going strong:

The Greatest Showman

Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Zendaya and company continue to entertain audiences with an additional $24M in 74 markets for the Fox film. The offshore cume has risen to $74.5M. Great openings were seen in Russia ($3.7M, 2.6X bigger than La La Land) and Germany ($2.2M, best non-franchise musical bow ever). Holds were strong as well with the UK down just 5% to cume $13.5M, Mexico off by just 9% for a $7.2M cume and Spain up by 30% to tally $3.9M so far.

Meanwhile, the soundtrack will be #1 on the Billboard charts this week:

Here are some fun facts about The Greatest Showman soundtrack hitting No. 1 on the Billboard 200:

The First Album to Hit No. 1 in a Year Without Debuting at No. 1: Generally speaking, No. 1 albums on the Billboard 200 reach No. 1 by debuting at the top -- not by rising to the pole position, as The Greatest Showman did. The Greatest Showman album bowed at No. 71, then moved 63-5-1. The last No. 1 album to climb to the top was Pentatonix’s A Pentatonix Christmas, on the list dated Jan. 7, 2017, when hit No. 1 in its ninth chart week.

First Theatrically Released Musical Film Soundtrack to Hit No. 1 Since 2015: The Greatest Showman is the first theatrically released musical film to see its soundtrack top the chart since Pitch Perfect 2 debuted at No. 1 on the list dated May 30, 2015. (The album spent one week in the penthouse.) Between Pitch Perfect 2 and The Greatest Showman at No. 1, there was one other musical soundtrack that topped the list: Disney Channel’s TV movie Descendants in 2015.

Hard to believe it was just two weeks ago when the talk was how the studio would be lucky to break even on the film.

Edited by KC7
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, KC7 said:

So, $75.9 million through Sunday, with the smallest drop in the top 30 this weekend. How long do we think until it hits 100M? Two more weekends?

Worldwide total is at $150M and going strong:

The Greatest Showman

Meanwhile, the soundtrack will be #1 on the Billboard charts this week:

Hard to believe it was just two weeks ago when the talk was how the studio would be lucky to break even on the film.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves... if it makes 100M, matches that internationally, that's still 200M worldwide on an 84M budget. Not exactly great and still warrants the break even question.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:33 AM, Tree Billboards said:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves... if it makes 100M, matches that internationally, that's still 200M worldwide on an 84M budget. Not exactly great and still warrants the break even question.

I'm no expert, but I think 250m is possible. So it should break even or turn a modest profit I think. 

16 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I liked The Greatest Showman although I think under a more experienced director, it would have been even better. It's good that an original musical is doing decently and I hope it leads to more movie musicals in general

This.

For that segment of moviedom that cries for Originals they should be happy that this film has overcome the SJW outrage about it.

I saw Hugh Jackman on a talk show(Kelly & Ryan ?) and he said it's the first fully original theatrical musical in 30 something years. 

I'm surprised at how this broke out. Pleasantly, even if I didn't care for it much, I do like some of the songs and understand some of the criticisms (That a movie about being your different self was basically about a conventionally attractive white guy who's only 'crime' was that he was poor instead of the 'freaks'.)

I get not wanting to martyrdom Barnum but it's not like there aren't plenty of ugly minded bastards who are alive that we can bring down. Did anyone really think this was legitimately his story?

Yet the historical-accuracy point, which has been made by more than a few critics, raises a telling question. Namely: Who in God’s name goes to a kaleidoscopic musical about P.T. Barnum looking for a chronicle of the complex historical figure he really was?

If it was well-made I'd happily watch a warts-and-all biopic of Barnum. Though maybe not at the cinema.

9 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I get not wanting to martyrdom Barnum but it's not like there aren't plenty of ugly minded bastards who are alive that we can bring down. Did anyone really think this was legitimately his story?

This. My sister loved the film. Went and looked Barnum up on Wikipedia. Called me and asked, "What do you know about this film and/or Barnum". I told her Barnum was not a saint, something of a rascal and a rogue and that the film was not highlighting that. I hadn't seen the film but the trailers indicate to me it's more about saying despite your background and detractors if you work hard you can succeed. Despite Barnum's actual personality he worked hard and succeeded.

After that she told me she read the Wiki and just didn't know the "circus guy" was that way but enjoyed the film a lot and would see it again. She then recommended I see it and was telling her circle to see it. I feel this is part of it's break out. Positive WOM by people not looking for an actual Biopic film. 

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

This.

For that segment of moviedom that cries for Originals they should be happy that this film has overcome the SJW outrage about it.

I saw Hugh Jackman on a talk show(Kelly & Ryan ?) and he said it's the first fully original theatrical musical in 30 something years. 

Was La La Land not...?

On 1/8/2018 at 7:33 AM, Tree Billboards said:

This is going well above 200m WW. 130 is the floor for DOM at this point, could be more like 150. Should get close or even hit 300 WW. Definitely will be profitable, especially since Fox basically left it out to die with that (lack of a) marketing campaign, so I can't believe they spent much there.