grim22

The Greatest Showman | PT Barnum Biopic starring Hugh Jackman. Fox releasing. Christmas 2017

I do think that this is gonna come a distant third as far as the Christmas releases are concerned behind Jumanji and Pitch Perfect 3. A run similar to The Adventures of TinTin/We Bought a Zoo/War Horse back in Christmas 2011 is probably the best case scenario.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

This could be a bomb for the ages. Jackman cannot pick decent non-Wolverine projects to save his life.

I think Jackman's been in some good non Wolverine related films over the years. His scripts as of late haven't been great though. I think this looks fine for what it is, but it definitely has a struggle to face at the box office given the budget. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think Jackman's been in some good non Wolverine related films over the years. His scripts as of late haven't been great though. I think this looks fine for what it is, but it definitely has a struggle to face at the box office given the budget. 

He needs to do more films like Prisoners or Les Miserables. 

WTF it turns out that Rebecca Ferguson herself does not sing in the film but that a voice contestant lorren Altred provides her singing voice. Then you should have cast someone in the role who can sing ughhhhh i was So Excited to hear Rebecca Ferguson sing

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

He needs to do more films like Prisoners or Les Miserables. 

Probably should get a new agent or something. Greatest Showman makes more sense but he seems to get involved with production nightmares like Pan, and would be franchises. He should probably do a smaller indie or something. 

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Probably should get a new agent or something. Greatest Showman makes more sense but he seems to get involved with production nightmares like Pan, and would be franchises. He should probably do a smaller indie or something. 

I'd like to see him do another play or musical on stage. He's a huge draw when it comes to theatre.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'd like to see him do another play or musical on stage. He's a huge draw when it comes to theatre.

I'm sure he'll do another musical on the stage in the future. Jackman comes from the theater after all, and I'm sure he prefers it above film. Film just pays more. 

• Like 1

Saw the trailer for this at DH2 showing a week ago or so.

It looks okay. Not my type of movie but I’ll see it for Hugh if it got decent enough reviews.

Got a chuckle out of that “From La La Land lyricists” or whatever the likes though. 

2 hours ago, Julian1410 said:

WTF it turns out that Rebecca Ferguson herself does not sing in the film but that a voice contestant lorren Altred provides her singing voice. Then you should have cast someone in the role who can sing ughhhhh i was So Excited to hear Rebecca Ferguson sing

Hollywood has been doing this like forever. Natalie Wood in West Side Story and Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady both has their singing dubbed.

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Fox is more than happy to have more theaters for Ferdinand instead of showing this.  I think that is a pretty good indication of what they think of the movie.  

Using the tagline "From The Lyricist of La La Land" should tell us all we need to know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I am still wondering why they went with an original musical about Barnum, instead of just buying the rights to the very successful 1980's Broadway musical about Barnum.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Fox is more than happy to have more theaters for Ferdinand instead of showing this.  I think that is a pretty good indication of what they think of the movie.  

Ferdinand's TC is 3,600, so I'm guessing this will barely be in 3k? :jeb!: 

Edit: Yeah this is only getting 3k theaters per BOP

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

My guess is they thought it was dated but it's sooo much better.

The Broadway Barnum is only a couple of years older then Les Mis but I can have no doubt you have that kind of mentality in Hollywood.

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly gotta give fox credit. they're really committed to pretending this is a real movie. 

Yeah, the way Fox is handling this seems to indicate they know they will be providing the Turkey this Christmas.....

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Ferdinand's TC is 3,600, so I'm guessing this will barely be in 3k? :jeb!: 

Edit: Yeah this is only getting 3k theaters per BOP

Not surprising or out of the ordinary for a musical. It's more than:

Les Miiz:   2,814

Into The Woods:  2,440

Mamma Mia!:  2,976

Phantom, Sweeny Todd & Nine all started limited and never got much above 1,500.  Dreamgirls & Chicago never hit 3,000 and the widest La La Land ever went was 3,236 in it's 9th week.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Hatebox said:

This could be a bomb for the ages. Jackman cannot pick decent non-Wolverine projects to save his life.

It really does look like that rare kind of Xmas wide release that goes sub 30m, ala Nine. Something like 7/25 wouldn't shock me. What's the budget? 

Edited by MovieMan89