Fancyarcher

American Made | 9/29/2017

I actually really enjoyed this movie. It was a lot of fun. It was very well made and superbly written and thoroughly entertaining. It didn't take itself too seriously which was refreshing and was very witty in the way it delivered it's story. 

The cinematography was very 'documentary' style which surprised me but I really dig it. It was very in your face and fast which fit the story well. It worked well for the comedic moments to.

I'm not usually a big fan of Cruise but I thought he was perfect for this role and was spot on with his comedic deliveries. 

I'm honestly surprised I liked it so much. Definitely go see it!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

By comparison Annabelle opened thursday to 382k and went on to make 2.28 for the weekend. Edited by HesAPooka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Alli said:

HuH Anabelle made 1.8M

Anyway, pretty good opening

AUD2.28m

@HesAPooka You probably should specify AUD in your post.

The Mummy had a AUD745,000 Thursday.  The Mummy really over-performed here so I'm thinking this suggests USD20-25m 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Also I recommend seeing it in IMAX if you can spare the extra money, as I would with any 1.85:1 (16:9) movie as it fills the square IMAX screen, as opposed to most movies which are 2.35:1.

Sadly, 'Murica won't get the movie in IMAX.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The film is decent, it's great to see Cruise do a role that is slightly different from he usually does. It's fascinating that it's based on true events, 

I'm glad to hear it's at least a different role for Cruise. That's what I hoped for when the project was first announced. 

24 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm glad to hear it's at least a different role for Cruise. That's what I hoped for when the project was first announced. 

It's more of a dark comedy similar in vein to War Dogs or The Wolf of Wall Street although Cruise does well to make Barry Seal somewhat likeable. 

I'll be curious what the US critics think of it. 

Edited by Jonwo

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's more of a dark comedy similar in vein to War Dogs or The Wolf of Wall Street although Cruise does well to make Barry Seal somewhat likeable. 

Based off that trailer I got the impression it was. I imagine it gets a bit "serious" near the end too, especially as Seal is exposed / caught.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1