LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

I just got back from Sniper, and after seeing it, the success isn't as baffling. It is a sure crowd pleaser; the theatre was dead silent as everyone for up to leave, it was crazy.

As for how I liked the film, I really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say I loved it. I want to see t again, just to watch a few scenes again, that might change my score for the better but for now I'd say it is a

B/B+ film. It was a bit slow at times, but it paid off at the end.

It's definitely a crowd-pleaser. There was plenty of laughs at my jam-packed 142 person screening. And lots of tears shed at the end of the film. Everyone left in dead silence as you describe. 

It's definitely a crowd-pleaser. There was plenty of laughs at my jam-packed 142 person screening. And lots of tears shed at the end of the film. Everyone left in dead silence as you describe.

I went to a 12:45 matinee, when the theatre is usually dead. Not this time, American Sniper had at least 70 people, and there were tons of kids running around in the "lobby" to see paddington. The line to get the tickets was surprising long also, I missed the previews.
  • Like 1

The only question I have is how is its gross so much higher that Lone Survivor? The "American" in the title? I thought Lone Survivor was just as good a film (maybe a tad better) than AS. The 2d trailer for AS was spectacular, better than anything Lone Survivor put out, but its hard to imagine that trailer counting for over 60M on OW. Clint Eastwoods name? That didn't help Jersey Boys...

• Like 1

The only question I have is how is its gross so much higher that Lone Survivor? The "American" in the title? I thought Lone Survivor was just as good a film (maybe a tad better) than AS. The 2d trailer for AS was spectacular, better than anything Lone Survivor put out, but its hard to imagine that trailer counting for over 60M on OW. Clint Eastwoods name? That didn't help Jersey Boys...

Oscar Buzz + Cooper + Much more effective trailers

• Like 2

Eh, Lone Survivor was intense but I don't think it compares to this.  And this one doesn't really have an overt 'murica fuck yeah' in it which makes it more accessible.  AS is also a lot more accessible to women with its romance side.

• Like 2

Oscar Buzz + Cooper + Much more effective trailers

Also, with all the North Korea issues, there has been a huge surge in patriotism all over social media and other places. I think that's playing a huge role in this success.

• Like 3

Oscar noms, social media hype, strong limited run, a film that appeals to a variety of people, very strong trailers.

• Like 2

If it hits the low range of RTH's estimates like last time then that's a 5% increase and with those sort of legs it shouldn't be as hurt on Sunday by the nfl games.

Fri: 30.5m

Sat: 32m

Sun: 24m

Mon: 20.4m

3 Day: 86.5m

4 Day: 106.9m

If it hits RTH's higher estimates then something like

Fri: 30.5m

Sat: 34m

Sun: 25.5m

Mon: 21.7m

3 Day: 90m