LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

50 million + watch those games.

That's not how the NFL works. Everyone still watches even when their team is out of it. Part of that has to do with gambling and part of that is because the NFL is so popular.

Plus it's the postseason. If you're a fan you watch it even if your team isn't in it. That applies to all the big sports.

Last year both games had 50M and 55M viewers respectively. All movies continued to decrease 30%+ despite the Monday holiday. If NFL hasn't been hitting the box office on MLK Sunday then something else has.

I was kidding.

Just hoping for some serious responses so thank you all.

:lol: This was what BOM said about Sniper in their forecast. 

American Sniper (Dec. 25): The last seven movies directed by—but not starring—Clint Eastwood have all earned less than $50 million. American Sniper could buck that trend: star Bradley Cooper is immensely popular right now, and the first teaser trailer seems to have been well-received. Still, this feels like a closer relative of The Hurt Locker ($17 million) than recent modern warfare movies Zero Dark Thirty ($95.7 million) and Lone Survivor($125.1 million); look for it to earn noticeably less than those two hits when it expands nationwide in January.
  • Like 4

I was kidding.

Just hoping for some serious responses so thank you all.

You son of a bitch...

Why can't you just be the stereotypical non American who knows nothing about NFL?

• Like 1

:lol: This was what BOM said about Sniper in their forecast. 

No one should throw stones about box office predictions for AS, or we'd all be bloody beaten pulps. After thinking about it for some time this morning, I can safely say it is THE biggest OW shock in the near 15 years I've followed box office. SM1 and TA don't even compare to me. At least those were huge blockbusters aiming for the sky.

No one should throw stones about box office predictions for AS, or we'd all be bloody beaten pulps. After thinking about it for some time this morning, I can safely say it is THE biggest OW shock in the near 15 years I've followed box office. SM1 and TA don't even compare to me. At least those were huge blockbusters aiming for the sky.

Of course, but like that is borderline ridiculous, calling it close to THL. I was saying about 50 million OW for a while and while it isn't the shocker OW, but at least it was a more reasonable prediction given all of the factors that AS has going for it. 

• Like 1

Well to be fair, NO ONE called an opening of this magnatude, even on Wednesday. BOM's predict was mostly justified.

IDK, predicting it not to come anywhere close to Lone Survivor (especially since they acknowledge the great trailer) still seems like a pretty bad prediction to me. Could anyone see a $90M weekend, of course not, but why would it make $40 million total? Of course I thought Selma would surely make more than the Jackie Robinson movie, so...

IDK, predicting it not to come anywhere close to Lone Survivor (especially since they acknowledge the great trailer) still seems like a pretty bad prediction to me. Could anyone see a $90M weekend, of course not, but why would it make $40 million total? Of course I thought Selma would surely make more than the Jackie Robinson movie, so...

Thats why I said "mostly justified."

I wonder if some movies were inflated by teenagers buying tickets for some other movie to sneak into American Sniper

Probably not. This is an R rated movie parents probably dont have a problem taking their teens too. Violence typically is ok. Now will moms be taking their 13 year old daughters along for 50 Shades next month? Not so sure about that.

• Like 1

Of course, but like that is borderline ridiculous, calling it close to THL. I was saying about 50 million OW for a while and while it isn't the shocker OW, but at least it was a more reasonable prediction given all of the factors that AS has going for it. 

Good for you for predicting that high, but I don't think that was really a "reasonable" prediction going into this weekend. Compare it to all other January openings and all other war drama openings like this, and we see that even 50m would have been crazy huge for it. There was no reason to legitimately expect more than 40m given the entire history of this month at the box office and this type of movie at the box office. I think even high 20's would have been a perfectly acceptable prediction prior to that late night number.

• Like 1

Why did I get a notification a post of mine In this thread was deleted yet I can't see what it was or why? Mods? Seems rather annoying honestly.

There some was signification derailment away from the numbers -- geo-politics, American policy in the middle east, etc. In addition there were a few posts that were pretty insensitive. I removed them and comments that kept the derailment going by replying to the original posts.

• Like 1

I bet Universal are super optimistic on their Snow White-less Snow White sequel with Hemsworth in the lead right now.

Blackhat's floppage is far from Hemsworth's fault. He has draw potential, but not is a movie like that. Then again, Hunstman isn't going to be a movie with much appeal either...