baumer

Weekend Actuals Jan 16-19/2015 American Sniper 107.3

I didn't realize you were in Houston. Cool :)

It's a nice theater. Not quite the Palladium obviously but that's too far away. For me, it's a 20 minute drive, but it's worth the extra five minutes over going to AMC Willowbrook.

I usually go to Edward Marque. They've a legitimate IMAX.

Quite a few. Rallax, MrPink and I live in Katy while redfirebird2008 has family that lives in Houston.

I think Rallax moved a year or two ago but he has family here.

I'm in the Spring area so that's why Silverado is one of my spots

Pssshhh...my dad has become a snob. Woodlands >>>> Houston. He hates having to come pick me up at Hobby Airport in southeast Houston. :lol:

To be honest I hate driving there too lol. Woodlands is alright but the theaters are eh...

To be honest I hate driving there too lol. Woodlands is alright but the theaters are eh...

Hobby sucks, but I don't have much of a choice. Tried to fly United into Bush last year for July 4th and they completely screwed me. Postponed the flight until the next day for no reason. Southwest is the only one that has reliable service between Houston and Midland.

Pssshhh...my dad has become a snob. Woodlands >>>> Houston. He hates having to come pick me up at Hobby Airport in southeast Houston. :lol:

lol, I agree. Traffic in Houston sucks. I had to pickup a friend from Bush and it took me 2 fucking hrs to get there. I definitely prefer Katy. It's booming but everything is accessible. 

• Like 1

Top thr Engagements

16-19/1

all over the shop

1-ST Palladium 18, San Antonio TX (AS)

2-CS Warren 14, Moore OK (AS)

3-St Palladium 22, Richmond TX (AS)

4-AMC Lincoln Square, New York City NY (AS)

5-CM Alburquerque Rio 20, Albuquerque NM (AS)

6-CM Thoroughbred 20, Franklin TN (AS)

7-AMC Garden State 16, Paramus NJ (AS)

8-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY (AS)

9-AMC Burbank 30, Burbank CA (AS)

10-AMC Northpark 15, Dallas TX (AS)

11-AMC Barrywood 24, Kansas City MO (AS)

12-TFG Paragon village 12, Fredericksburg VA (AS)

-

13-AMC tyson Courner 16, Mclean VA (AS)

14-Regal Pinnacle Stadium 17, Knoxville TN (AS)

15-Regal Mira Messa 17, San Diego CA (AS)

16-Regal Red Rock 15, Las Vegas NV (AS)

17-AMC Mission Valley 20, San Diego CA (AS)

18-Regal Fresno 21, Fresno CA (AS)

19-Regal Houston Marq 22, Houston TX (AS)

20-ST Silverado 19, Tomball TX (AS)

top Canada

1-CPLX Scoiabank Toronto, Toronto ON (AS, CPLX Scotiabank Vancouver 9, Vancouver BC (AS), 3-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook, Calgaray AB (AS)

So Texas, Oklahoma, New York, New Mexico, Tennessee, New Jersey, California, Missouri, Virginia and Nevada are represented. 9 different states. Has that ever happened before?

Gravity was PG-13.

Yeah, that's why I put /adult drama as well.  I don't necessarily think we need them all to be rated R, but I do think we should have more tentpoles (or movies marketed and treated as such) that's target audience is older oriented, because it's obvious that audience is there and ready to eat those movies up when they respond well.  Gravity was PG-13, but it was hitting mostly the same audience that movies like Gone Girl, American Hustle, Wolf of Wall Street, and American Sniper were.

People have been asking me...how do explain American Sniper's box office?

I give a few reasons, and they go...but does that explain 107m!?!

I then hang my head in shame. I just...don't know.

Amazing performance, love these out of nowhere what the fuck happened successes. It's these things that make posting on box office exciting, even though I have nothing useful to comment about it. Cause...I dunno.

• Like 2

People have been asking me...how do explain American Sniper's box office?

I give a few reasons, and they go...but does that explain 107m!?!

I then hang my head in shame. I just...don't know.

Amazing performance, love these out of nowhere what the fuck happened successes. It's these things that make posting on box office exciting, even though I have nothing useful to comment about it. Cause...I dunno.

It managed to appeal to ALL Americans and that is an incredibly rare feat last seen with The Blindside

It managed to appeal to ALL Americans and that is an incredibly rare feat last seen with The Blindside

I've been comparing it to Passion of the Christ...but yeah, you're right. But like my friend said...does that still explain 107m? OW? I dunno. Passion did those numbers, but in the week run up to its release it was much more obvious it was going there. This movie...even after Thursday numbers came in...people (including me) weren't seeing this.

Tomball is just outside Houston. 

Texas was one of the territories I handled for the company I work for. I'm familiar with a whole lot of places there. It's crazy that I never heard of it before.

That theater is always packed. I'm talking "park on the grass" kind of packed. Parents live about 30 minutes from there in the Spring/Woodlands area. Northwest suburbs of Houston have a shitload of people and it just keeps growing. Amazing thing to me is the number of grocery stores and the fact that they all stay crowded.

Now I know the Woodlands. It's weird how that area is structured.

• Like 2

The Raiders number is wrong. BOM's 1982 (and specifically January 1982) calendar grosses for a sone 1981 films roll in a large portion of the 1981 calendar grosses from the weekends they don't have numbers for.

Raiders only has numbers from 1981 going up to weekend 2 (gross to date: $21,861,910). The data resumes on Jan 8-10, 1982 (gross to date: $179,642,063). Subtract the actual weekend take of $1,908,232, and you get $177,733,831. Subtract the June 12-21 '81 gross and you get $155,871,921.

For reasons unknown, that $155.87m is rolled into the calendar gross for January 1982, when it actually belongs in 1981.

Thru dec27 81 film was suppose to be at 168m (192 days), FYI at 111 day mar Oct 81 it at the time became Par biggest ever

at the end of its 2nd full week it was at 27.2m

• Like 4