kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS | 1131.6 M overseas | 2068.2 M worldwide

59 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

2 billion WW seems like it's definitely happening imo, if the legs are as crazy as they should be with the holidays and everything, I can see it reaching 2.2 billion. I knew TFA would be huge but Avatar will never be beaten, ever ever. 

Probably in couple of years Chinese market will big enough, potentially 500M+ gross.

13 hours ago, Cynosure said:

$204M in China for a January 2010 release though, holy crap. Avatar 2 could destroy everything there.

Yeah that actually literally adjusts to 1200m+ in today's China!! Avatar was unbelievable OS, absolutely on an another level. Its OS performance for its time can only be compared to Titanic's and probably the original Star War's.

6 hours ago, Hermia said:

Can't the crazy numbers this gets in USA cover the loss of the other markets and reach Avatar?

You are forgetting that Avatar was not really a small thing in US either. Star Wars may end 100m or 150m max over Avatar domestically but that would still not be enough to reach Avatar. Around 70m of that 100m lead would be lost in SK alone.

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

If Star Wars Ep VII can't beat it, I don't see what will. I have no doubt that Avatar 2, 3 & 4 will be huge but I'm not sure they'll reach Avatar.

Avatar 2 may. Avatar's China gross would adjust to atleast 2B$ by Dec 2017. Avatar 2 should therefore make atleast 1B$ there. That 800m increase in a single market should be enough to cover its losses in other markets, especially since it could easily increase in even a lot of other developing markets too. Plus inflation should atleast somewhat reduce the loss in most other markets too. 

^^^

I dont think this "china" adjust will work. NO WAY Avatar 2 is making 1B in china. It wont have enough screens long enough for it. We have seen past couple of years local cinema have gotten stronger with so many big releases through the year.

We already saw with MI5 how all the "adjusting" gross dont work at all. Avatar 2 is locked to drop from Avatar OS. Especially with 3D being dead in most markets and $ being uber strong.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

^^^

I dont think this "china" adjust will work. NO WAY Avatar 2 is making 1B in china. It wont have enough screens long enough for it. We have seen past couple of years local cinema have gotten stronger with so many big releases through the year.

We already saw with MI5 how all the "adjusting" gross dont work at all. Avatar 2 is locked to drop from Avatar OS. Especially with 3D being dead in most markets and $ being uber strong.

Ok, I have said it before and I'll say it once again. People should stop using MI5, the exception, as the representative of the Market when so many other movies are increasing just as much as they should. In fact if a market increases x% in an year that means each movie, on average, increased x% (unless there has been a big increase in the total number of movies itself). Now that means some movies may have increased slightly lesser than the average while some may have increased slightly more than that. A movie can fall into any category so the best option is to adjust it with average %. Now, its true that this year's increase has been contributed to more by the locals than the foreign stuff but that only noticeably applies to this year and thus the previous increases still hold for all movies and even this year's increase, even if to a somewhat lesser degree, does apply. And anyways all that adjusting is getting Avatar to 2B+. I am decreasing that straight off by half because I am not a lost-common-sense-obsessed-fan (don't even like the movie particularly) and I know the significant factors that lead to the originals gross are not going to get repeated. I am only saying what the data shows or, as Beatrice says in the Act 2 of Much Ado about Nothing that we are doing in class these days, I am only seeing the church by daylight. 1B should, or atleast can, definitely happen. 

Edited by Infernus

57 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Yeah that actually literally adjusts to 1200m+ in today's China!! Avatar was unbelievable OS, absolutely on an another level. Its OS performance for its time can only be compared to Titanic's and probably the original Star War's.

Star Wars was nowhere near as big as Titanic or even Avatar OS.

And i doubt Avatar 2 will get anywhere close to $1b in China. Maybe 500m-600m, at best.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Star Wars was nowhere near as big as Titanic or even Avatar OS.

Yeah. I was thinking it made 700m+ in the late 70's and 80's. Forgot that a major amount of the 700m came from Dom and the 90's re -release :P  . I did say probably though... :D 

Dollar will be weaker in the future...I don't see how strong dollar will stop every blockbuster movie from hitting bigger than usual. And make lower because....why not. :rolleyes:

And i disagree about Avatar 2 dropping OS from the first one. And we really shouldn't put MI5 as comparison. Yes....that film's chinese gross was lower than expected....but....that doesn't mean the same will follow suit for other Hollywood blockbusters. MI5 was an exception....but that's it.

And i think Avatar 2 will do better in China with minimum $400M over there. It could go higher with $500M. But if it doesn't.....i'll blame the local chinese movies for the obligational underperformance.

But let's go back to Star Wars. :D

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

SW7 made as much as JW in its first 3 days OS ($129.5M vs $130M) but less than HP7-P2 ($157.5M). SW7's Friday tallied $56.8M, a small drop from Thursday's $58.6M. It is the third biggest OS Friday, behind HP7-P2's $75M and JW's $60M. Anything could happen from now on. The overseas opening weekend record may well fall but who knows?

In the meantime, according to estimates, the preview-free Friday record was beaten by a smidge in NA ($63.5M vs JW's $63.45M).

I think it is now clear that the worldwide and domestic opening weekend records will fall. However, SW7's overseas OW could fall slightly short of JW and HP7-P2.

UPDATE: The film has also broken the record for speed to $250M worldwide (only 3 days). The closest a film has come to this is HP7-P2 with $248.6M in 3 days.

Edited by quigquag33