Join our Telegram group by clicking the following link:

https://t.me/joinchat/BDsV7QrWB2ogzJ811S043A

You can get Telegram by downloading the app and creating an account using your phone number. You can then change your username to your forum name.

kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS | 1131.6 M overseas | 2068.2 M worldwide

Why It would make more than the Hobbit Movies since LOTR is a lot more popular OS? :thinking:

Nostalgia, inflation, expanding markets, CHINA, 3D.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 2

You have to admit the Hobbit was a big flop, so yeah starwars could reach it, but I don't think by much.

Nostalgia, inflation, expanding markets, CHINA, 3D.

The kids and teenagers in most OS markets except some in Europe don't give a toss about the original cast/nostalgia. Thats 80% of the market.

$900m! I have a feeling, along with around $600m in the US, it could get around $1.4/$1.5b worldwide. Could dominate until early February 2016. I recon it will do similar/little bit less than "Star Wars Phantom Menace" numbers adjusted to inflation.  Think the 10 year gap, a refresh, a new generation of younger characters + original cast members will and are getting people excited. Plus China should add a lot more to the overseas figure.

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 1

The kids and teenagers in most OS markets except some in Europe don't give a toss about the original cast/nostalgia. Thats 80% of the market.

yeah nostalgia never works the way people expect it to, look at Toy Story 3, it did well but underperformed massively compared to the sky high expectations people had for it.

However Overseas audiences like awesome 3d visuals and this will have a lot of that, and being a Star Wars brand wont hurt it either

600 - 650M OS

400 - 450M DOM

1B - 1.1B WW

Atleast you're not setting yourself up for a disappointment I guess.

Struggling to see Force Awakens earning as little as $400m domestically, even adjusted to inflation (and after the terrible Phantom Menace) Episode 2 grossed $443m and Episode 3 $500m. Phantom Menace earned $750m in North America if you take into account inflation. I recon $500m for Star Wars will be quite straightforward, buzz is off the scale even a year before release.

Overseas I'm finding it pretty hard to gauge with Star Wars. Wonder if new generation of younger "cooler" characters/plus totally new story arch will bring new audiences in the historically less popular Star Wars markets.

Will Star Wars still be very big in Japan??? I mean Lord of the Rings was big there, but Hobbit was a flop.

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 1

Is star wars big in Latin America?

Pretty big in Argentina (Episode 1 sold 1.28m tickets back in 1999) and specially in Chile (Episode 1 and 3 are in the 21st and 22nd places at the All Time Admissions Chart there), but not so big elsewhere in Latin America

yeah nostalgia never works the way people expect it to, look at Toy Story 3, it did well but underperformed massively compared to the sky high expectations people had for it.

However Overseas audiences like awesome 3d visuals and this will have a lot of that, and being a Star Wars brand wont hurt it either

TS III made over a billion and it underperformed MASSIVELY compared to people's expectations? lol What did people expect, 5 B?

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 2