8 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

Daily breakdown:

Wed - $14.1m (known)

Thu - $58.6m (known)

Fri - $56.8m (known)

Sat - $95m????

Sun - $68.4m???

Total - 279

Seems really high for Sat and Sun.  Even shifting 5m over to both Th and Fri would still have Sat and Sun pretty high.

Bad math, sorry.

Sat 85-90

Sun 59.5-64.5

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Even a simple check of BoxOfficeMojo would show that's not the case. 

Wrong, the actual box office figures that come in on Mondays are usually lower than the studio estimates.

That doesn't mean to say that SW7 won't come in higher.

Edited by mepal1

Just now, picores said:

.....no.

Excuse me, iv'e been following BO of films for years now, and the norm is that the BO figures quoted on a Sunday are generally on the high side.

Its not until Monday when all the actual figures have come in, and the correct exchange rates applied, that the actual figures are usually a bit lower.

Sorry to burst your bubble sunshine, but thats life. ;)

1 hour ago, mepal1 said:

Excuse me, iv'e been following BO of films for years now, and the norm is that the BO figures quoted on a Sunday are generally on the high side.

Its not until Monday when all the actual figures have come in, and the correct exchange rates applied, that the actual figures are usually a bit lower.

Sorry to burst your bubble sunshine, but thats life. ;)

The so-called "norm" is completely irelevant. This is exceptional. Just think logically: the 30% drop from Sat to Sun (for NA) is way too high for this period of the year and also for most big openers (that aren't Twilight or Hunger Games). Also, the overseas OW is way too low given how much it made the previous days. It will definitely come closer to $300M. Any comp trajectory (F7, HP7-P2, JW, POTC4) suggests so. Disney is trolling us.

EDIT:  and if our opinions don't count at all for u, maybe the fact that Deadline says the same thing. Deadline has never done this before as far as I remember.

Edited by quigquag33
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, quigquag33 said:

The so-called "norm" is completely irelevant. This is exceptional. Just think logically: the 30% drop from Sat to Sun (for NA) is way too high for this period of the year and also for most big openers (that aren't Twilight or Hunger Games). Also, the overseas OW is way too low given how much it made the previous days. It will definitely come closer to $300M. Any comp trajectory (F7, HP7-P2, JW, POTC4) suggests so. Disney is trolling us.

EDIT:  and if our opinions don't count at all for u, maybe the fact that Deadline says the same thing. Deadline has never done this before as far as I remember.

Keep your hair on sunshine, i was just expressing the fact, what has gone before with general film box office reporting. :)

SW7 will no doubt have a massive gross, will it join the $2 bill club?,and if it does how far up will it reach? Time will tell.

Highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation Worldwide, based on inflation figures 2014. The $2 billion plus members

1 Gone with the Wind                   $3,440,000,000

2 Avatar                                        $3,020,000,000

3 Star Wars 1977                      $2,825,000,000

4 Titanic                                        $2,516,000,000

5 The Sound of Music                    $2,366,000,000

6 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial            $2,310,000,000

7 The Ten Commandments           $2,187,000,000

8 Doctor Zhivago                          $2,073,000,000

9 Jaws                                          $2,027,000,000

Edited by mepal1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mepal1 said:

Keep your hair on sunshine, i was just expressing the fact, what has gone before with general film box office reporting. :)

SW7 will no doubt have a massive gross, will it join the $2 bill club?,and if it does how far up will it reach? Time will tell.

Highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation Worldwide, based on inflation figures 2014. The $2 billion plus members

1 Gone with the Wind                   $3,440,000,000

2 Avatar                                        $3,020,000,000

3 Star Wars 1977                      $2,825,000,000

4 Titanic                                        $2,516,000,000

5 The Sound of Music                    $2,366,000,000

6 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial            $2,310,000,000

7 The Ten Commandments           $2,187,000,000

8 Doctor Zhivago                          $2,073,000,000

9 Jaws                                          $2,027,000,000

I don't understand what any of this has to do with the fact that Disney may have intentionally underestimated the film's opening weekend, but I'm not intending to continue this discussion any further.

20 minutes ago, quigquag33 said:

I don't understand what any of this has to do with the fact that Disney may have intentionally underestimated the film's opening weekend, but I'm not intending to continue this discussion any further.

I wasn't answering to you in the first place! :rolleyes:

Edited by mepal1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spizzer said:

UK vs. AUS vs. Germany

Which has been most bonkers?

I don't know about Uk and AUS, but definiteley not Germany. I'm not disappointed, but I expected a bit more after the presales numbers. It's still the 6th best opening ever in admissions and the biggest ever in Dollars, by far.

• Like 1