kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS | 1131.6 M overseas | 2068.2 M worldwide

3 hours ago, spizzer said:

UK vs. AUS vs. Germany

Which has been most bonkers?

Australia broke the previous weekend record by 50%, so I think we win.

In USD it wasn't so much higher but in AUD we had broken the OW with day to play. Not only smashed the OD and Thursday records but also took down Saturday and Sunday records. Only Friday missed (2nd) thanks to a holiday opening day (Boxing Day for BAFTA).

Put it another way Star Wars made more in 4 days than the previous record did in 5 days (HP8 opened on a Wednesday burning off demand. - hp8 was the holder of the OD and OW records before this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Moses said:

My predictions

150 Millions uk

80 Millions germany

70 millions france

70 millions aus

70 millions japan

250 millions china

500 millions other countries

750 million domestic

Total WW 1.8_1.9 billion

Welcome.

Your predictions for UK,Japan,Germany and DOM are low and high for China.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mepal1 said:

Excuse me, iv'e been following BO of films for years now, and the norm is that the BO figures quoted on a Sunday are generally on the high side.

Its not until Monday when all the actual figures have come in, and the correct exchange rates applied, that the actual figures are usually a bit lower.

Sorry to burst your bubble sunshine, but thats life. ;)

I am following BO since the '90, so do others here as well. Several users here are directly or indirectly out of the industry with varyinf insight behind the scene, btw. including BO details.

It happens, yes, to a varying degree depending on the studio too btw.

But not generally speaking like you seem to imply. Hence the tip of the others to check e.g. at BOM.

Or take a look at Boxoffice.com, the studio estimates are there to get too way backwards, if you know how to find them.

OW Sundays it happens more often than later on, that is also a generalizing excluding detail, as later on Sundays are more often per movie than OW Sundays....

Disney in especial tends to downplay in the nearer past, probably bcs of AoU

This chart is from January 2013, with increased digitalizing of sales the percentages wnet and go down too btw.

Estimate-Inflation-By-Studio.png

I think the general calculation models should adapt fastly on especially to split up the pre-sales accoring to time of day instead to add them all to the matinees, especially as the pre-sales seem to increase.

= the main reason this weekend had some extremer changes of the estimates

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mepal1 said:

Excuse me, iv'e been following BO of films for years now, and the norm is that the BO figures quoted on a Sunday are generally on the high side.

Its not until Monday when all the actual figures have come in, and the correct exchange rates applied, that the actual figures are usually a bit lower.

Sorry to burst your bubble sunshine, but thats life. ;)

You're funny.

'The Force was strong on SUN. Slim 11% dip from SAT to $61M for stunning record opening wknd of $250M!'

^^^^

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I am following BO since the '90, so do others here as well. Several users here are directly or indirectly out of the industry with varyinf insight behind the scene, btw. including BO details.

It happens, yes, to a varying degree depending on the studio too btw.

But not generally speaking like you seem to imply. Hence the tip of the others to check e.g. at BOM.

Or take a look at Boxoffice.com, the studio estimates are there to get too way backwards, if you know how to find them.

OW Sundays it happens more often than later on, that is also a generalizing excluding detail, as later on Sundays are more often per movie than OW Sundays....

Disney in especial tends to downplay in the nearer past, probably bcs of AoU

This chart is from January 2013, with increased digitalizing of sales the percentages wnet and go down too btw.

Estimate-Inflation-By-Studio.png

I think the general calculation models should adapt fastly on especially to split up the pre-sales accoring to time of day instead to add them all to the matinees, especially as the pre-sales seem to increase.

= the main reason this weekend had some extremer changes of the estimates

Thanks, very informative graph.

btw, i know about BOM, and that they post estimated and actual figures. :)

Anyway, back to SW, the film is doing amazing business, and what makes it interesting for members here is that, really its not that easy to gauge exactly what the final BO tally will be in North America, and particularly Worldwide, as there are so many variables. I do agree that it is more than likely that SW will surpass Avatar for the highest BO gross (unadjusted) at the N.American market.

Official US numbers available, record annihilated... I think it's safe to assume the OW WW record belongs to The Force!

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, mepal1 said:

btw, i know about BOM, and that they post estimated and actual figures. :)

Anyway, back to SW, the film is doing amazing business, and what makes it interesting for members here is that, really its not that easy to gauge exactly what the final BO tally will be in North America, and particularly Worldwide, as there are so many variables. I do agree that it is more than likely that SW will surpass Avatar for the highest BO gross (unadjusted) at the N.American market.

BOM = I meant how to find them after they released the actuals or later on. The trick for that seemingly not all people know

SW7 in Asia:
HK:81% of JW
Taiwan:38% of JW
SK:65% of JW
China:??

These four markets have most similar tastes, let's hope SW7's global success helps it gain more awareness in China and Disney 's marketing delivers.

SW7 OW in China will only be Two days, JW made $48.7M(using current exchange rate)