kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS | 1131.6 M overseas | 2068.2 M worldwide

Smashed the New Zealand opening day record.

The new Star Wars movie, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has smashed New Zealand opening day box office records, taking in $1,567m in day one ticket sales.

Star Wars' New Zealand distributor, Sony Pictures, revealed the figures on Friday, saying they had smashed the previous record, set by The Avengers, which opened on April 25 2012, and collected $1,020m on its first day in cinemas.

The Force Awakens was quick on to Kiwi screens, premiering in Los Angeles on December 14 (December 15 New Zealand time), holding its Kiwi premiere on Wednesday December 16, and then opening that night in screens across the country with midnight viewings for the most dedicated fans. It opened at 104 locations, on 203 screens - and there were 66 midnight screenings available.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/75256323/star-wars-the-force-awakens-sets-new-kiwi-box-office-record

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James said:

Phahahahaha. Good one.

You have to remember it is under performing in some markets but not in massive major huge market.

Many markets like Germany and UK will act like China in fueling its overseas gross and I would say Japan will be a big boost to the film as well. 

Not locked but a good start imo. 

4 hours ago, Rogerio said:

I really expected huge previews, but about the OW, I don´t know..

when you think about Avengers, for example.. It was a movie that EVERYONE wanted to see..

Star Wars is more like "love or hate"... there are LOTS of fans ( it´s probably the biggest fan base of all series), but there are also many people that don´t like it

I don't know how it is in other countries, but here in Indonesia the hype is getting crazy among general public. Now people who have never seen Star Wars before, are excited to see it. Last week and this week, a lot of my friends who knew almost nothing about Star Wars asked to borrow my copies of all six movies, so they understand the story when they see the new one this weekend. Ads and promotions are EVERYWHERE. Radio stations even declared today (the release day of SW7) as Star Wars Day. They're gonna talk about Star Wars throughout the day. Shows are selling out so fast that I have to postpone my plan to see it because all of the good seats for the weekend are gone. I expect a huge OW.

I think the hype is to strong with this movie

I know many people that never have seen a Star Wars movie but they want to see the Force Awakens so they are reading like a little summary for the original trilogy and thats it 

Its bringing every moviegoer 

Australian OD (RTH) is 9.4m AUD. in USD it will be 2nd to only potter who enjoyed a much better exchange rate.

It's on 937 screens out of a total 2080 screens in Australia. It even bettered potters average (OD previous holder)

It is now expected to eclipse 20m on OW easily (new record also taken from potter). 25m+ is on the table here.

On legs it's going to be interesting as typically we at least a 3x multiplier from OW. often higher. This puts Star Wars earning at least 70m without taking the Christmas holidays into consideration. (That #2 all time already if we get there. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Smashed the New Zealand opening day record.

The new Star Wars movie, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has smashed New Zealand opening day box office records, taking in $1,567m in day one ticket sales.

Star Wars' New Zealand distributor, Sony Pictures, revealed the figures on Friday, saying they had smashed the previous record, set by The Avengers, which opened on April 25 2012, and collected $1,020m on its first day in cinemas.

The Force Awakens was quick on to Kiwi screens, premiering in Los Angeles on December 14 (December 15 New Zealand time), holding its Kiwi premiere on Wednesday December 16, and then opening that night in screens across the country with midnight viewings for the most dedicated fans. It opened at 104 locations, on 203 screens - and there were 66 midnight screenings available.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/75256323/star-wars-the-force-awakens-sets-new-kiwi-box-office-record

NEW ZEALAND you rock :D

Don't know why you're so adamant on this not beating DH2 OS James. This has just topped DH2's OD in the UK. Its homeland. It's obliterating records in Germany and Australia, and will probably make huge bucks in Latin America, Japan and China. These places will offset other non-record breaking countries, which are still doing strong business anyway. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Don't know why you're so adamant on this not beating DH2 OS James. This has just topped DH2's OD in the UK. Its homeland. It's obliterating records in Germany and Australia, and will probably make huge bucks in Latin America, Japan and China. These places will offset other non-record breaking countries, which are still doing strong business anyway. 

DH2  is going down anyway, it's all written on the walls.

20 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I think that a key detail are the holidays. If this film was released in the summer, then not breaking records would be worrying. Now I'm not worried because its subsequent drops will be smaller than those of summer blockbusters.

24 minutes ago, quigquag33 said:

I think that a key detail are the holidays. If this film was released in the summer, then not breaking records would be worrying. Now I'm not worried because its subsequent drops will be smaller than those of summer blockbusters.

It's even more impressive that it's breaking records in winter holidays, normaly movies don't open that high but have amazing legs, now it's crushing records and could have great legs what will push it ahead of movies like JW and FF7.  On the other hand, DH2 didn't have holidays and didn't have great legs, cause it was realy frontloaded and fan driven. So I also think this is locked to beat DH2