grim22

Tuesday Numbers (Rth): Sniper 9.8M, Wedding Ringer 1.6M, Paddington and Taken 3 1M

Gibson's Passion all over again.

Adjusted not really but yeah, I was gonna post just that, AS is basically Passion of the Christ redux.

Still Passion adjusts to an incredible 487m and the Sniper is not there yet.

• Like 1

Massive Tuesday. We're looking at close to 200M by end of Sunday. 300M is a done deal with a very good shot at passing MJ1/GOTG and getting domestic number 1 for the year. 

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2

Adjusted not really but yeah, I was gonna post just that, AS is basically Passion of the Christ redux.

Still Passion adjusts to an incredible 487m and the Sniper is not there yet.

Well AS is definitely reaching a much broader audience than most R-Rated films, but Passion will probably forever reign supreme there. You had youth groups going, churches carrying literally vans full of people every Sunday, and all sorts of stuff. I'm sure a few folks have taken their kids to see AS but comparing it to Passion is kind of unfair.

If we compare it to anything adjusted, I'd compare it to two of the most recognizable R-rated blockbusters- T2 and Matrix Reloaded. Both adjust to the $370-390 million range and it looks like AS is headed that way.

This is no doubt gonna end up as the most incredible box office run in who knows how long.

• Like 3

The interviews cancellation probably pissed off a lot of extremely patriotic Americans even if they had no intention of watching it anyway, good reviews, great trailers, Bradley cooper, based on a true story of a guy that's literally very recently been murdered.

Lone Survivor had just as good, if not better reviews (better RT score) than AS, a good trailer, was also a true story, popular actors. But yeah I suppose The Interview cancellation, Bradley Cooper being in it and the murder of of the film's main character recently have had a massive impact on this film's gross. I personally thought event like the tragic Charlie Hebdo attack on the week before release could have been a big contributor (with news about terrorists all over the news channels at the time), but I won't go into that on a box office forum. Don't think Oscar nominations would have made much difference, they make a difference, but not American Sniper kind of difference.

I bet there wasn't a single soul on planet Earth who had predicted $300m for AS a week before release. Quite astonishing.

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 1

Stellar $9.9M TUE for
#AmericanSniper
heading to about $136M total by start of this next wknd. Shd soar to $180M+ by SUN.
— Gitesh Pandya (@giteshpandya)
January 21, 2015

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And Gitesh is conservative once again. It should be close to 200M by Sunday. 

Also, Rth was spot on once again. All hail the legend.  :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2