LexJoker

Weekend Numbers Jan 23-25 pg 46(AS 64 mill, Mom's cookies 15)

I've been reading messages in this discussion thread as well as several other AS threads on this site. I've read numerous comments about "red state nut jobs", "idiot republicans", and so on. And how people are baffled that a movie that THEY don't approve of or like could be such a hit. A "How dare a movie that doesn't fall in line with my beliefs or agendas be such a monster hit!!??" kind of attitude.

Well to me it's simple. The movie is about a man who gave up everything to protect a country he loves. To leave everything behind and go off to "hell" and serve his country and do what in his mind is in the best interest of his country and countrymen and women. While you and I sit in the safe luxury of our homes playing with our iPhones, iPads and Xboxes, this guy is one wrong step away from dying. And he kept going back.... And back.... And back.... And the scene at the garage when the soldier thanked him showed the point. He was over their watching our soldiers backs, and protecting those he could. The man saved lives, period. And to do so, he had to kill the enemy.

I used to go to the movies once a week. Now I go a few times a year. Some of that is due to having a wife and 4 kids, and the busyness of life. But a lot is due to the lack of anything appealing to me anymore. If you want $9 and 3 hours of my valuable time, it better be something that I want to see. I think a lot of people feel the same way I do. And for me, this was that rare movie. The country is split down the middle on core values. This movie, like Passion, obviously tapped into one of those segments perfectly. Some people don't want to go see vulgar comedies, action movies that have been done over and over, unnecessary sequels, or movies that dwell on how "bad" our country, past presidents and military are.

And those complaining about factual inaccuracies.... What a joke. Name a movie that doesn't take liberties. Did you complain when W was released? How about JFK? Or Fahrenheit 9/11? Did you bitch and moan then about how factual they were?

This movie is a juggernaut and won't be going away anytime soon.

Edited by Ethan Edwards
  • Like 13

I'm sorry, but a movie that's performing like this isn't just being seen by republicans. And who gives a shit about its quality? Is Avatar even close to being a good movie to "deserve" the top spot? Hell no, so just stop. Admire it for what it's doing.

Edited by acsc1312
  • Like 10

Man Mortdecai really bombed. Did worse that Blackhat. :mellow:

I guess Depp is a worse BO draw than Chris Hemsworth. :P

In more bad news, Mortdecai also fell flat overseas, where Depp has remained a bigger draw. The movie grossed just $5.2 million from 33 territories. Germany led with $1.2 million.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-american-sniper-hits-765695

Edited by kiki
  • Like 2

I used to post at the old site once in awhile, but never got around to signing up here. But I decided to sign up just for one quick post.

I've been reading messages in this discussion thread as well as several other AS threads on this site. I've read numerous comments about "red state nut jobs", "idiot republicans", and so on. And how people are baffled that a movie that THEY don't approve of or like could be such a hit. A "How dare a movie that doesn't fall in line with my beliefs or agendas be such a monster hit!!??" kind of attitude.

Well to me it's simple. The movie is about a man who gave up everything to protect a country he loves. To leave everything behind and go off to "hell" and serve his country and do what in his mind is in the best interest of his country and countrymen and women. While you and I sit in the safe luxury of our homes playing with our iPhones and iPads, this guy is one wrong step away from dying. And he kept going back.... And back.... And back.... And the scene at the garage when the soldier thanked him showed the point. He was over their watching our soldiers backs, and protecting those he could. The man saved lives, period. And to do so, he had to kill the enemy.

I used to go to the movies once a week. Now I go a few times a year. Some of that is due to having a wife and 4 kids, and the busyness of life. But a lot is due to the lack of anything appealing to me anymore. If you want $9 and 3 hours of my valuable time, it better be something that I want to see. I think a lot of people feel the same way I do. And for me, this was that rare movie. The country is split down the middle on core values. This movie, like Passion, obviously tapped into one of those segments perfectly. Some people don't want to go see vulgar comedies, action movies that have been done over and over, unnecessary sequels, or movies that dwell on how "bad" our country, past presidents and military are.

And those complaining about factual inaccuracies.... What a joke. Name a movie that doesn't take liberties. Did you complain when W was released? How about JFK? Or Fahrenheit 9/11? Did you bitch and moan then about how factual they were?

This movie is a juggernaut and won't be going away anytime soon.

You are wrong.

I play with my xbox.
  • Like 3