Fancyarcher

Allied | 11.23.2016 | Brad Pitt, Marion Cotillard. Robert Zemeckis directing

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's probably going to get over 2000 screens, so unless it turns out to be not so good or well-received, I think it's gonna do fine. It's budget also likely isn't very big.

I am interested in how it does more than a lot of other movies this month because of all the circumstances going on with it. 

It skews very, very old, Zemeckis is coming off a bomb, Brad Pitt is going through an ugly divorce and not going to be promoting it at all.  There are a bunch of other older skewing movies and even though I love WW2 movies, it looks generic and not all that appealing.  I think people were intrigued 12 years ago to see a young and hot Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt hook up on screen in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but now Brad is plastic looking and 52 years old.  People seem to think at this point he is just an asshole who cheats on whoever his wife is and don't see the movie appealing to females.  

My gut says it is going to bomb, but who knows.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think this will be fine ($60M total). Those movies are getting completely dumped. This at least has "the movie that might have broken up Brangelina" buzz that has driven up more interest than it would've received otherwise.

Nope. Really not feeling it. Would be lucky to get to $50m.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I am interested in how it does more than a lot of other movies this month because of all the circumstances going on with it. 

It skews very, very old, Zemeckis is coming off a bomb, Brad Pitt is going through an ugly divorce and not going to be promoting it at all.  There are a bunch of other older skewing movies and even though I love WW2 movies, it looks generic and not all that appealing.  I think people were intrigued 12 years ago to see a young and hot Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt hook up on screen in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but now Brad is plastic looking and 52 years old.  People seem to think at this point he is just an asshole who cheats on whoever his wife is and don't see the movie appealing to females.  

Zemeckis coming off a bomb really doesn't matter though. The Walk went and came, besides most of the general public doesn't care about that kind of stuff.

Reviews will probably be good (flop aside, The Walk's reviews were actually fairly good), and Pitt not promoting the film is actually nothing new. Pitt didn't really promote any of his last few films, or even attend the premiere of them. I think the film's success will entirely depend on critical reception and whether or not it'll be hurt by previous or new releases that are also vying for the adult market.

I'm just hopeful that the film's a hit. After all the controversy surrounding the film, it'd be nice if it actually turned out to be really good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Zemeckis coming off a bomb really doesn't matter though. The Walk went and came, besides most of the general public doesn't care about that kind of stuff.

Reviews will probably be good (flop aside, The Walk's reviews were actually fairly good), and Pitt not promoting the film is actually nothing new. Pitt didn't really promote any of his last few films, or even attend the premiere of them. I think the film's success will entirely depend on critical reception and whether or not it'll be hurt by previous or new releases that are also vying for the adult market.

I'm just hopeful that the film's a hit. After all the controversy surrounding the film, it'd be nice if it actually turned out to be really good.

I don't know why you're assuming the reviews will be good...

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Do they really?  Even during the Brad/Jennifer/Angelina era he's the one that came out with the least damage and I don't feel any groundswell of sympathy for Jolie during this divorce either, rather the contrary.  Pitt has always been very well liked, more than Jolie.

He doesn't look any more plastic recently than Affleck and The Accountant is doing fine (not to mention there's Affleck's long record of infidelity and messiness though that film probably skews more male)

What matters more is the film itself.  Is the genre and time period interesting and did Zemeckis make a good movie?  With Billy Long faltering there's more room for it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Do they really?  Even during the Brad/Jennifer/Angelina era he's the one that came out with the least damage and I don't feel any groundswell of sympathy for Jolie during this divorce either, rather the contrary.  Pitt has always been very well liked, more than Jolie.

He doesn't look any more plastic recently than Affleck and The Accountant is doing fine (not to mention there's Affleck's long record of infidelity and messiness though that film probably skews more male)

What matters more is the film itself.  Is the genre and time period interesting and did Zemeckis make a good movie?  With Billy Long faltering there's more room for it.

I do think more probably support Angelina right now but I don't think Pitt's reputation has tanked or anything. There seems to be no concrete proof of abuse and the cheating isn't going to hurt him (even though again there appears to be no specific proof or specific mistresses).

My brother and I are pretty excited to see this. Hopefully it's good, and Zemeckis has done pretty well in his return to live action film

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I don't know why you're assuming the reviews will be good...

I've heard that the script is pretty good, and both of Zemeckis's films since coming back to live action have 78% and 84% on rotten tomatoes respectively.

The only reason I have doubts about the film getting really good reviews, is that I don't know how long Paramount's "embargo" is, or when will get some reactions to the film.

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

I've heard that the script is pretty good, and both of Zemeckis's films since coming back to live action have 78% and 84% on rotten tomatoes respectively.

The only reason I have doubts about the film getting really good reviews, is that I don't know how long Paramount's "embargo" is, or when will get some reactions to the film.

Steven Knight is awesome. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Steven Knight is awesome. 

Big fan of Locke @Nutella of Arabia , and I love his script for Eastern Promises. Yeah he's great, plus he said saw a rough cut of Allied and he was apparently more then impressed. I'm hopeful!

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Big fan of Locke @Nutella of Arabia , and I love his script for Eastern Promises. Yeah he's great, plus he said saw a rough cut of Allied and he was apparently more then impressed. I'm hopeful!

I got an invite to the Hollywood premiere on Wednesday but unfortunately there's no way I can make it. :mellow: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

I got an invite to the Hollywood premiere on Wednesday but unfortunately there's no way I can make it. :mellow: 

That's a bit of a shame. Hopefully more reactions will start appearing next week though.

• Like 1

I want to be clear when I am talking about the Brad Pitt stuff is that I don't know if anyone has much interest in watching this particular film where he spends the whole movie with Marion Cotillard and the ad campaign is built on them making out in a car that is released at a point where he is going through a messy divorce and she is pregnant.  

People actually wanted to see that 12 years ago with Angelina Jolie it seemed like.  That was also a big summer action movie.  

Again, only my gut feeling and some of the vibe I get.  

Gregory Ellwood ‏@TheGregoryE 3m3 minutes ago Los Angeles, CA
Marion Cotillard is fantastic in Allied. Some great sequences by Zemeckis. Great costumes, prod design and cinematography. #Oscars

Gregory Ellwood ‏@TheGregoryE 3m3 minutes ago Los Angeles, CA
Allied prob isn't a Best Picture player but very good. Might be nice hit for Paramount. #Oscars