James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

• Community Manager

Not in the slightest... you only say that because you really like his music. And there's nothing wrong with that. But liking something, even loving it, does not automatically qualify that something as genius.

In terms of getting chosen to do plenty of movies, there are many, many reasons why composers are picked.... and not all of them relate to music. Studio comfortability, director compatibility, name recognition, these are all considerations.

Ummm, Tele. He said End of Discussion. As in, it's been settled and there's no logic you can use to change it.

• Like 2

Whaddya guys say we split this discussion into its own thread? It's interesting enough to continue without ruining poor James' countdown.

I forgot this was a countdown thread.  :lol:

Yes, make a thread :)

• Like 1

You remember that silly stoner/skater kid in high school with really long hair that wore the same really tight jeans everyday that only ever talked about music and, well... anything music related? Like he'd go on and on in detail about how the use of the guitar or some shit about musical notes in particular songs by his favorite bands were absolutely amazing and you're just like sitting there dumbfounded not giving a shit at all and you are only listening to his BS and don't want to piss him off because you're waiting for him to pull out that 10 sack you asked him for a day earlier?   Thats like what arguing over which famous music composer for film is better or the best sorta reminds me of.  0 fucks given.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Hey mods, I like my countdown thread just the way it is. I don't want pages from it deleated or moved to other threads, especially considering a thread like this and especially one containing MY list is bound to get derailed :lol:  

• Like 2

Hey mods, I like my countdown thread just the way it is. I don't want pages from it deleated or moved to other threads, especially considering a thread like this and especially one containing MY list is bound to get derailed :lol:  

I defer to your preference. :) Everything will stay.

• Like 2

You remember that silly stoner/skater kid in high school with really long hair that wore the same really tight jeans everyday that only ever talked about music and, well... anything music related? Like he'd go on and on in detail about how the use of the guitar or some shit about musical notes in particular songs by his favorite bands were absolutely amazing and you're just like sitting there dumbfounded not giving a shit at all and you are only listening to his BS and don't want to piss him off because you're waiting for him to pull out that 10 sack you asked him for a day earlier? Thats like what arguing over which famous music composer for film is better or the best sorta reminds me of. 0 fucks given.

Hahahahhahahahahaha

all this music talk is really making me excited for a best soundtrack themes countdown, is that happening soon?

also what about these gems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3j3S465oo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Z1PXxI1qI

Edited by Visor shades Kalo

all this music talk is really making me excited for a best soundtrack themes countdown, is that happening soon?

also what about these gems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Z1PXxI1qI

That last one will encourage James since it's Hans Zimmer

22. Taken 2 (2012)

Taken-2-2012.jpg

With a great, oriental, Istanbul setting and plenty of action, the Liam Neeson kick-ass, action thriller is a blast to watch and re-watch. Despite all criticism it gets, 'Taken 2' is better than 90% of the action films that come out. The only thing you need to enjoy is some nachos and a cold beer.

Grade: 86/100

21. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

MV5BMjIxMjgxNTk0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjIy

I've watched this movie 4 times, of which 3 were in cinema, just because I wanted to see other people's reactions to some of the scenes. That's how good it was. DiCaprio is one of the best, most versatile actors working today and when paired with Scorsese, an eye candy like Margot Robbie and a very interesting main character, the result can only be cinema gold. I actually loved Belfort's character. He was an egomaniac, narcissistic no-principles-asshole and also a nice source of inspiration when it comes to the ambition you must have to succeed.

Grade: 87/100 

• Like 5

20. Man of Steel (2013)

1smi.jpg

Aside from 'Days of Future Past', 'Man of Steel' is the only superhero movie on the entire list and also my second favourite SH film ever, behind only 'X-Men: The Last Stand'.

Previosuly, I was never a fan of Superman. Beside the fact his old incarnations looked incredibly stupid and goofy, there's also this perfect moral persona that I REALLY HATE! But Zack Snyder managed to fix that, offering a SF-ish approach to Superman, a new appearance and a much more complex character (the neck snapping scene is probably the best from any SH flick).

Also, the action spectacle was off the charts, approaching the God territory of Bay or Emmerich.

Zimmer made sure the score gets stuck in your head so another plus.

But the most important thing: the movie has that dark, gritty approach that I love so much. The threat feels real. Zod is finally the villain we needed to see in a movie of this genre.

Grade: 88/100

19. Transcendence (2014)

transcendence-927308l.jpg

There's no secret I LOVE original SF and when it's done with such care to details and has front and center one of the best actors working today (Johnny Depp), nothing can go wrong. 

'Transcendece' is not a pure SF movie. It's a dark drama about morality and what being human truly means, completed with a bleak look at the future of technology and our world in general. The soundtrack is not bombastic and it compliments perfectly certain scenes, while delivering a strong emotional punch.

The concept is not a new one, but the way it is adressed makes it memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEvlQ5FIVY

Grade: 88/100

• Like 2