iceroll

Snowden | September 16, 2016 | Trailer on Page 6. Special screening at SDCC Thursday

This guy has the worst "I want to punch him- -resting-douche-face."  I can't stand looking at him (and it's not based on how I feel about his actions). 

I saw this on early Saturday evening.  There were maybe 20 people in my local theater, all couples, all middle-age or older.  I had to be one of the youngest in there, and I'm 40.  Judging by the above responses, once again I see this as something that is doing much better worldwide than in America (where opinion is particularly divided on Snowden himself).  I'm still deciding how I feel about the film.  Typical later-career Stone, quiet but prickly.  I'm completely addicted to Alexander, though (I own every single version), so I'm a bit of a weirdo.  But I found this a bit snoozy.  I was more moved by the personal emotions and sacrifices the couple made, than anything else in the film.  I guess that's the point...perhaps.  I don't know...

But it is amusing to see this beating or nearly beating Blair Witch. 

Edited by Macleod

10 hours ago, trifle said:

This just came across my timeline.   I wish the movie were getting more eyes.  Maybe in the aftermarket....

CsuamCuWIAAz_2q.jpg

What did Washington Posts discover recently that turned Snowden's pulizer prize worthy revelation into treason?

That they don't want to cross the CIA?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, trifle said:

This just came across my timeline.   I wish the movie were getting more eyes.  Maybe in the aftermarket....

CsuamCuWIAAz_2q.jpg

The Washington Post editorial board is completely distinct from the Washington Post reporting staff.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Snowden also revealed to foreign countries (including China) that we were spying on them (which is not illegal). If he had stuck to whistle-blowing, he probably would've gotten off easy.

I don't worship the ground the guy walks on, but I think we owe him thanks for bringing government surveillance into the public eye and think he gave up his entire life up to that point to do it. 

Besides.  Do you think for a moment China didn't know we were spying on them?  Do we think for one moment China isn't spying on us?  I doubt our governments are as clueless as the people can be.

Edited by trifle

8 minutes ago, trifle said:

I don't worship the ground the guy walks on, but I think we owe him thanks for bringing government surveillance into the public eye and think he gave up his entire life up to that point to do it. 

Besides.  Do you think for a moment China didn't know we were spying on them?  Do we think for one moment China isn't spying on us?  I doubt our governments are as clueless as the people can be.

I agree with the first part, as what the NSA was doing was illegal and highly unpopular. But he specified how we were spying on them to "ingratiate himself with the Chinese people" when he was hiding out in Hong Kong. This is a hugely popular and legal program which is a big reason why so many in the intelligence community are against pardoning him. It doesn't matter if China knows or didn't know that we were spying on them. That is skirting the line of treason, a penalty that carries death. I don't know if we should go that far, but Snowden deserves to be in jail for what he did beyond his (justified IMO) whistle blowing activities.

1 hour ago, Jayhawk said:

I agree with the first part, as what the NSA was doing was illegal and highly unpopular. But he specified how we were spying on them to "ingratiate himself with the Chinese people" when he was hiding out in Hong Kong. This is a hugely popular and legal program which is a big reason why so many in the intelligence community are against pardoning him. It doesn't matter if China knows or didn't know that we were spying on them. That is skirting the line of treason, a penalty that carries death. I don't know if we should go that far, but Snowden deserves to be in jail for what he did beyond his (justified IMO) whistle blowing activities.

I'm not even going to debate it. I think the reason he HAD to hide out with the Chinese and Russians should be taken into account, however.  What about what our government has been doing to us?

I agree that when you are in a position of trust confidential information is supposed to be kept confidential.  But our government is in a position of power and trust as well, and I think people needed to know about this.  I don't pass judgment on every one of his actions.  I do think we should remember why he was in the position he was in, though.

95% of all things computers : chips, semi conductors, softwares, networks, middleware  come from the USA that sold all their computer solutions to the secret services of most countries in the world.

Basically, the Silicon Valley has the world in the palm of its hand.

That s why China said fuck you Google and came up with their own search engine.

Edited by The Futurist

14 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

It's possible both sides are wrong. NSA/US was in the wrong for spying on us. Snowden was in the wrong for releasing covert intelligence information to foreign countries. Just because one side was wrong doesn't mean the other side should get a pass. 

Snowden released the covert info because we weren't just spying on those like China and Russia, we were spying on Germany, Japan, etc. Our fucking ALLIES. That's too far, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

It's possible both sides are wrong. NSA/US was in the wrong for spying on us. Snowden was in the wrong for releasing covert intelligence information to foreign countries. Just because one side was wrong doesn't mean the other side should get a pass. 

That's interesting because only one side is being charged with a crime.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

That's interesting because only one side is being charged with a crime.

Well, one side is also an organization and organizations can't really charged with crimes, they can only be changed, and after what Snowden did how they operate did change.

Also, that doesn't mean the one being charged with a crime did not commit a crime that they should be charged for.

35 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Well, one side is also an organization and organizations can't really charged with crimes, they can only be changed, and after what Snowden did how they operate did change.

Also, that doesn't mean the one being charged with a crime did not commit a crime that they should be charged for.

But most of the debate is whether Snowden should be held accountable while hardly anyone is talking about holding the government and NSA accountable.

Why is that?

I thought both sides were wrong.

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But most of the debate is whether Snowden should be held accountable while hardly anyone is talking about holding the government and NSA accountable.

Why is that?

I thought both sides were wrong.

It's my opinion both sides are wrong. I can't control the debate, nor do I try to. Both sides should be held accountable, that is my opinion. But I am not in a position to hold either side accountable.

19 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

It's my opinion both sides are wrong. I can't control the debate, nor do I try to. Both sides should be held accountable, that is my opinion. But I am not in a position to hold either side accountable.

I'm just pointing out that based on the current conversation and the focus, only one side is likely to be held accountable and it ain't the NSA or government.