Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Villeneuve overtook Nolan already with Sicario.  Nolan hasn't made anything as good as that film.

Nah he's got a couple that are as good.

I won't die if he gets nominated. There have been far worse directors that have got a Best Director nomination before Nolan. I legit love Villenueve. He should have already gotten his nomination last year. Stop trying to stir up shit where there is none.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

It is interesting that he is doing the big studio franchise pic, albeit one that is decidedly untraditional, after Sicario and Arrival (especially if Arrival is a commercial success) because Villenueve is shaping up to be an A-lister that can really pick and choose whatever project he wants.

15 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

It is interesting that he is doing the big studio franchise pic, albeit one that is decidedly untraditional, after Sicario and Arrival (especially if Arrival is a commercial success) because Villenueve is shaping up to be an A-lister that can really pick and choose whatever project he wants.

Prisoners and Sicario did well but weren't exactly blockbusters. If this and Blade Runner (especially the latter) are hits then he will definitely have the luxury of getting backing for every project he wants to tackle next.

Having seen ARRIVAL, I'd say hold your horses on above 100M. This is an incredible film but not for average popcorn Joe. It is cerebral, moving and a mind bender. It's not as crowdpleasing as the martian nor as straightforward as Gravity. If it was a Nolan film, I'd say yes over 100M is locked. But Villeneuve isn't a brand name yet.

Strongly rooting for it, but trying to manage expectations for box office. 

34 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Nah he's got a couple that are as good.

I won't die if he gets nominated. There have been far worse directors that have got a Best Director nomination before Nolan. I legit love Villenueve. He should have already gotten his nomination last year. Stop trying to stir up shit where there is none.

The Dark Knight and Memento are fairly close, but neither were able to haunt me in the fashion that Sicario was able to.  

8 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Having seen ARRIVAL, I'd say hold your horses on above 100M. This is an incredible film but not for average popcorn Joe. It is cerebral, moving and a mind bender. It's not as crowdpleasing as the martian nor as straightforward as Gravity. If it was a Nolan film, I'd say yes over 100M is locked. But Villeneuve isn't a brand name yet.

Strongly rooting for it, but trying to manage expectations for box office. 

This is what I'm worried about. But I don't really expect it to do much more than $100m. The marketing/concept/reviews are buzzy enough that it can overcome some GA backlash, IMO.

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The Dark Knight and Memento are fairly close, but neither were able to haunt me in the fashion that Sicario was able to.  

Those were the two I had in mind. Opinions and all. Nonetheless, Villenueve is a tremendous talent. 

Don't sleep on Incendies.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I think Villeneuve has more in common with early Ridley Scott than Blomkamp, focusing more on slow burn atmosphere than visceral thrills, and similarly mostly working in the crime noir genre with this being his first foray into speculative fiction

He's like a blend of Ridley Scott and Christopher Nolan.

• Like 1