Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

$1.45M midnight (Deadline)

Paramount’s Amy Adams alien drama Arrival chalked up a notable $1.45M last night at 1,944 locations. By the way that number inches out the $1.4M made by Gravity on its Thursday night 10PM shows; Arrival‘s began at 7PM.  However, Arrival‘s stubs last night are lower than The Martian‘s $2.5M Thursday..."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Essentially wholeheartedly fall in line with your thoughts.

Oh, I think it will over perform somewhat OW and then drop harshly. This is not a movie for the GA. Honestly, it's even less a movie for the GA than Sicario and Prisoners in my view.

It's a bizarre concoction that's more in line with the provocative, bittersweet Midnight Special  and Contact than stuff like Interstellar and even Close Encounters for that matter.

Anecdotal but the audience I was with had more than a handful of walk outs and audiences complaints as I left. I noticed a very similar reaction to Midnight Special. People thought they were getting something much different than what was marketed and, such being, were disappointed.

Again, I pretty much adored this one. Imperfect but more harrowing for me than Midnight Special. Actually, impacted me much like The Witch earlier this year. Simple but beautifully communicated.

I don't think the reaction will be quite as bad as that. I think a lot of people will walk out confused, and then when they figure out the ending (either by thinking about it, talking to other people or looking it up) they'll realize they liked the movie a lot more than they initially thought. 

• Like 2