Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

5 hours ago, Kalo said:

Seeing it today on my birthday! 

Happy birthday!

Hmm, I have to wait too

10. Nov                                                        
Australia    Czech Republic    UK    Hungary    Ireland    Israel    Netherlands    Portugal    Slovakia                        

11. Nov                                                        
Azerbaijan    Bosnia and Herzegovina    Bulgaria    Belarus    Canada    Estonia    Kazakhstan    Lithuania    Norway    Poland    Romania    Russia    Turkey    Ukraine    USA

16. Nov                                                        
India                                                        

24. Nov                                                        
Brazil    Germany    Croatia    Republic of Macedonia    Slovenia                                        

1. Dec                                                        
Denmark    Malaysia                                                    

2. Dec.    Sweden                                                    
Finland                                                        

7. Dec                                                        
Belgium    France    Philippines                                                

8. Dec.                                                        
Georgia    Greece                                                    

12. Jan.                                                        
Hong Kong    Italy    Singapore                                                

02. Feb                                                        
Argentina                                                        

Mai 17                                                        
Japan   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kraken said:

Wonderful film. Just amazing. In my lifetime top 5 easily. I'm still digesting the ending.

yeah when it finally got going, it was really good, up to that, it was kind of just there.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but nothing spectacular, but that did change as it went on :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Happy birthday!

Hmm, I have to wait too

10. Nov                                                        
Australia    Czech Republic    UK    Hungary    Ireland    Israel    Netherlands    Portugal    Slovakia                        

11. Nov                                                        
Azerbaijan    Bosnia and Herzegovina    Bulgaria    Belarus    Canada    Estonia    Kazakhstan    Lithuania    Norway    Poland    Romania    Russia    Turkey    Ukraine    USA

16. Nov                                                        
India                                                        

24. Nov                                                        
Brazil    Germany    Croatia    Republic of Macedonia    Slovenia                                        

1. Dec                                                        
Denmark    Malaysia                                                    

2. Dec.    Sweden                                                    
Finland                                                        

7. Dec                                                        
Belgium    France    Philippines                                                

8. Dec.                                                        
Georgia    Greece                                                    

12. Jan.                                                        
Hong Kong    Italy    Singapore                                                

02. Feb                                                        
Argentina                                                        

Mai 17                                                        
Japan   

No China release?

4 minutes ago, zackzack said:

No China release?

IMDb not always has all release dates. Or does not always update new release dates within a reasonable timeframe. At the China forum is a thread especially for release dates. Maybe ask there?

DEADLINE (new update) ARRIVAL SOARS 

However, the biggest surprise is coming from Paramount’s alien drama Arrival starring Amy Adams which is now looking at an estimated $22.3MFSS after a $8.9M Friday. This spells good news for Adams who is choosing Arrival over Nocturnal Animals as her awards season contender this year according to sources. A few weeks ago, rival distribution executives were rubbing their chins over the prospects for this indie title directed by Denis Villeneuve and acquired by Paramount at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival for $20M (that includes China and domestic). Forecasts had it at $15M, with some projections below that.  For a film that also comes with an estimated $40M P&A spend per rivals, this is a good start for Arrival, and the studio is hoping that its 94% certified fresh Rotten Tomatoes score carries this to greater multiples this holiday season. CinemaScore is a B, but given the older female appeal of this movie, we could see a better than expected 2.9 multiple which typically comes with that grade.

Arrival is not Gravity, and it isn’t The Martian as far as spectacle, rather it’s more emotionally driven at a slower pace, and with a twist. That said, Paramount marketed this movie like it was an everyman tentpole, pushing out TV spots during the summer Olympics as well as games 1,5,6, and 7 of the World Series, the Presidential Debates, the Walking Dead season premiere and NFL games. Arrival had an extensive airport outdoor presence in New York and Los Angeles playing on the title “Arrival”. A slew of festivals — London, TIFF, Fantastic Fest, Chicago Int’l, Philadelphia, Savannah, Spectrefest, and Beyond Fest–fueled critical and awards voter word of mouth. A 24-hour YouTube Masthead featured a :60 spot and drew 235M impressions. This Common Ground video piece, which launched with media support via Facebook and YouTube (1.7M), was in an effort to go after females:

http://deadline.com/2016/11/arrival-doctor-strange-almost-christmas-weekend-box-office-1201852814/

Edited by MinaTakla

Wow. Still overwhelmed after seeing this tonight. I want to see it again asap. Best film of the year by a long shot, and I'm not convinced La La Land will be able to top it for me. Just sat there during the credits basking in the afterglow, and we weren't the only ones either apparently as an unusual amount of people sat quietly through most of the credits I'd guess for similar reasons. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wow. Still overwhelmed after seeing this tonight. I want to see it again asap. Best film of the year by a long shot, and I'm not convinced La La Land will be able to top it for me. Just sat there during the credits basking in the afterglow, and we weren't the only ones either apparently as an unusual amount of people sat quietly through most of the credits I'd guess for similar reasons. 

I already made plans to go back Monday, Wednesday and next Sunday with different people lol

• Like 1

The climax resolution with

Spoiler

Louise having a vision of the future where General Shang tells her what she said to him in the present so she can say it to him in the present and tell him to tell her to tell her in the future so she can see it in the future and her present self can then remember to tell it to him in the present and now I've gone cross-eyed

Didn't work for me. Felt way too cute by half and the story thinking it was so clever. Also seemed to undermine the theme the movie had generally been going for.

Otherwise I thought it was very good. What I did love was the reveal that

Spoiler

everything involving Louise and the daughter was happening in the future. I thought that part was handled brilliantly.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Here's the exact wording of the Louise+General Shang scene:

General Shang comments how Louise reached out and called him on his private number.

Louise: "I dont know your private number"

General Shang leans over and shows Louise her phone with his private number displayed.

Shang: "Now you know. I do not claim to know how your mind works, but I believe it was important for you to see that."

Louise: "I called you, didnt I?"

Shang: "Yes, you did".

Shang: "I will never forget what you said".

Louise looks at him seemingly confused/unaware what hes referring to. Shang leans in to whisper in her ear.

Shang: "You told me my wifes dying words".

The conclusion i've come to is that things only DONT make sense here if we think about time in the traditional way, which of course we naturally do, because we're human. What happens is exactly what you said, your head explodes because things simply dont make sense. Chicken and egg.

When we think about time we anchor ourselves using concepts like 'past present future' to help understand things.

Louise doesnt experience time in the same way anymore after learning Heptapod. So the concepts of 'start middle end' or 'past present future' essentially lose their meanings as we understand them. Time is no longer a linear concept heading in one direction as we ordinarily treat it, but nonlinear and accessible at any point.

The above sentence means that Louise is able to use an event that occurs in what us humans call 'the future' to affect what us humans call 'the present day'. But to her - shes just accessing different parts of a nonlinear timeline and using one to affect the other.

This is the closest i've come so far to trying to understand / rationalise that scene....

Edited by Tyrian
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Did anyone else figure out the "flashbacks" were actually the future in the scene with Hannah where Louise tells her "ask you father, he's the scientist"? That totally gave it away to me that those scenes hadn't happened yet, although I didn't get that it was the way speaking the language made her mind work. Linguistics have always been fascinating to me and that theory is a very intriguing one. Just loved the link between communication and how we perceive everything, even time. Very clever route to take with that theory. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:
  Hide contents

Did anyone else figure out the "flashbacks" were actually the future in the scene with Hannah where Louise tells her "ask you father, he's the scientist"? That totally gave it away to me that those scenes hadn't happened yet, although I didn't get that it was the way speaking the language made her mind work. Linguistics have always been fascinating to me and that theory is a very intriguing one. Just loved the link between communication and how we perceive everything, even time. Very clever route to take with that theory. 

I think that was when I started to realize what was going on, as well as the "who."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

The climax resolution with

Hide contents

Louise having a vision of the future where General Shang tells her what she said to him in the present so she can say it to him in the present and tell him to tell her to tell her in the future so she can see it in the future and her present self can then remember to tell it to him in the present and now I've gone cross-eyed

Didn't work for me. Felt way too cute by half and the story thinking it was so clever. Also seemed to undermine the theme the movie had generally been going for.

Otherwise I thought it was very good. What I did love was the reveal that

Reveal hidden contents

We need a little Mistah Bowwa in there. That was my disappointment

• Like 2