kayumanggi

THE GIFT | 08.07.15 | STX Entertainment | final domestic gross: $43,787,265

Rebecca Hall is pretty good in this. Edgerton is a pretty nifty writer, more so than as a director. I enjoyed this and this is coming from someone who thought the trailer looked super generic and cheaply made (it kinda does have some odd cinematography, not sure what camera they used but I guess it made it feel smaller scale, which it is). Either way, nice subverting of expectations and some really really effective jump scares that got a genuine chuckle out of me after. I hesitate to give a letter grade because somebody will give me shit about Interstellar.

Rebecca Hall is pretty good in this. Edgerton is a pretty nifty writer, more so than as a director. I enjoyed this and this is coming from someone who thought the trailer looked super generic and cheaply made (it kinda does have some odd cinematography, not sure what camera they used but I guess it made it feel smaller scale, which it is). Either way, nice subverting of expectations and some really really effective jump scares that got a genuine chuckle out of me after. I hesitate to give a letter grade because somebody will give me shit about Interstellar.

What'd you rate Interstellar?

Come on, tell, I won't mock you.

Color me surprise, Im now thinking of going to see this instead of Fant4stic this weekend

I plan on seeing both. If F4 is to me as bad as they say it might help to see something that's decent. This movie already has the cast, reviews, and story intriguing me.

This is weird. The trailer comes off as a stalker thriller but some places describe it as a SCIFI film.

Uh, I wonder what film they saw because it's certainly not the latter and mostly the former

So....was I the only one who basically had the whole plot figured out from the trailer?

Edgerton comes to seek revenge and destroy Bateman's life for something terrible he did to him in the past

Seriously, that's exactly what the trailer told me it would be about. I mean that wouldn't be the end of the world if this wasn't played as a slow build suspenseful thriller. It just never had any payoff for me because I essentially had the gist of it from the start. I do think Bateman did a great job playing an asshole, as I'm not usually a big fan of him and he always seems the same to me. Hall was good too. Edgerton gave one of his less memorable performances though I thought. He kind of had one face the whole movie. His directing failed to make an impression either. The writing was pretty good, but nothing that notable. I give it a C+. Fine movie, but nothing I will ever watch again or likely remember much in a few months. No idea why the critics went so crazy for it. Again if you're gonna do the slow burn suspense thing, I need a much more rewarding payoff that's not obvious from the previews.

Edited by MovieMan89