baumer

Your ten worst films of 2011

It's inevitable. If you have ten you love then you have to have ten you hate. Here's my 15 most hated. Analysis later. 1) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close2) The Artist3) New Years Ever4) Jack and Jill5) Cars 26) Captain America7) Hobo With a Shotgun8) Kung fu Panda 29) Young Adult10) Green Hornet11) Jumping the Broom12) Larry Crowne13) Very Harold and Kumar Christmas14) Your Highness15) Real Steel

1. A Dangerous Method - Cardinal sin of movies is being COMPLETELY BORING. Except whenever keira Knightley has an ACTING freakout. I don't think I've ever cringed so often at a performance or a film.2. Albert Nobbs - Also pretty damn boring. Why should I care about a character who's only real trait is "I'm dressing up as a man so i can get enough money to own a shop" aside from that.... nothing. Also WTF is up with that monologue thing she does do herself often. That's just bad writing.3. Rio - Annoying and derivative.4. Bad Teacher - Wasted potential. I don't think a single joke worked for me. JT is WOEFULLY miscast.5. Gnomeo and Juliet - Why does James McAvoy always sound so annoying in animated movies? In fact pretty much everything about this annoyed me to some extent.6. The Green Hornet - Doesn't work as an action film. Doesn't work as a comedy film.7. Cowboys and Aliens - Harrison Ford and James Bond as cowboys, fighting aliens. In the words of William Hurt in A History of Violence - "HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT UP?" boooooooring, with plenty of dull and or annoying side characters.8. Johnny English Reborn - YAWN. Big Rowan Atkinson fan, but he phoned it in here. Stupid, stupid, stupid.9. Rubber - Example of having a really good concept and ideas... but it completely falls flat on it's face with the delivery10. Arthur/Hop - Stop picking shitty projects Russell Brand. I was rooting for you when you started your career in the US. After splitting up with Perry and being in such awful films you'll be forgotten in a year at this rate.

Edited by CoolioD1

1 New Years Eve: Couldn't even finish the damn thing2 Shark Night: Fucking awful3 Paranormal Activity 3: I thought it sucked. Yet I know i'll be back again in October4 Mr Popper's Penguins: No soul at all, purely made with numbers in mind5 Brighton Rock: Depressing and bland6 Pirates of the Caribbean OST: I wouldn't call it worst, but definitely disappointing7 Arthur Christmas: Same as Pirates8 Bridesmaids: I just didn't enjoy itI can't think of any other movies I didn't enjoy.

Since I've done a decent job of avoiding bad movies, (most of the time) I'll only do 5.

5. Limitless - The concept sounded really cool on paper. The execution was a flat out mess. Most of the movie seemed like one giant clustercuss.

4. No Strings Attached - There was hardly any chuckles, let alone laughs. I was bored the whole way through.

3. Hop - Lame and cliched, but it avoids a worse grade for at least trying to make an Easter movie.

2. Sucker Punch - Hot girls + awesome guns + stylish action + no attachment to any charachters + a beyond-bleh script = Sucker Punch. And I'm probably part of the target audience.

1. The Green Hornet - This couldn't even be mindless fun. Everything is just so bland and uninteresting. There was hardly anything redeeming about this.

This. Like half of the movies from 2011 haven't even been released to DVD/Blu yet.

I've seen 12 films from 2011; the only ones I didn't care for were The Eagle and Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil.

I just watched the Eagle the other night. Not very good.

A word- I don't see movies that I think I won't somewhat like, unless it's under dire circumstances (see: #1). So a lot of the 'worst of the year' films (Green Lantern, Jack and Jill, New Year's Eve, Sucker Punch, etc) I just didn't bother seeing. Which should tell you about the following movies that I did want to like them. But they weren't good, so, yeah. Anyway, here's the scummiest of the scum I've scummed this year.

Honorary mentions:

The Beaver (damn, I really wanted to like this)

Rio (Cloying CGI crap, and I thought this was supposed to be good. I can only imagine how bad Smurfs, Popper's Penguins and all those others were.)

Super (damn, I really wanted to like this)

Thor (I'm confident about Thor's place in The Avengers, but sorry, this movie didn't work)

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (TF2 was my #1 worst movie of 2009. For this to be an honorable mention this year isn't that bad.)

10. Hall Pass- Owen Wilson had his best role yet in Midnight in Paris this year, and Jason Sudekis starred in the moderately funny Horrible Bosses. So I don't feel bad about writing off this misfire of a comedy.

9. The Green Hornet- Similar situation, as Rogen had an otherwise good year. But geez, what a dull movie. Gondry really disappointed here.

8. Just Go With It- Sandler's done worse, but this mostly unfunny, horribly cliched comedy isn't worth anything.

7. Real Steel- A surprising hate for me. Jackman tries, and by the end he turns on the charm, but my gosh, the screenplay is awful. I wanted to punch that kid in the face.

6. No Strings Attached- Friends with Benefits was better because JT and Kunis are funnier, period. But both carry a false sense of complacency. They think they're avoiding and poking fun at all romcom cliches while unabashedly falling into them. Also, acting isn't Ashton Kutcher's thing. Stick to Two and a Half Men and Nikon commercials.

5. Limitless- Drugs are cool, kids. All you have to do is inject them into your system until you die.

4. Bad Teacher- What happened here? The cast is legitimately good but the script feels like a 13 year old wrote it.

3. Your Highness- And I LIKE Danny McBride.

2. The Hangover: Part II- Well this doesn't work. You can't give us the same movie as The Hangover, that's just mean.

1. Apollo 18: They were craters. With legs. When I wasn't angry at how awful it was, I was bored out of my mind.

I didn't see many truly terrible films this year so I'll just do a top 51. Dolphin Tale - Dull, insulting pap2. Cars 2 - Badly written, almost completely uninteresting3. Hanna - The movie that made me feel ok with using the word "pretentious"4. Super 8 - Starts out great and the train crash is undeniably awesome, but utterly collapses in the second half5. The Mechanic - Didn't hate this movie, really, but it was pretty much mindless trash

Edited by tribefan695

Dolphin tale ? Isn't that for 7-12 year old girls ? Why would you rate something that isn't marketed toward you ?10 worst of 20111. Hangover 22. Thor3. Bridesmaids4. Horrible Bosses5. Paranormal Activity 36. Crazy, Stupid, Love.7. Moneyball8. 50/509. Drive10. Contagion

DriveBattle LAI thought Harry Potter 7.2 was pretty terrible as well. I probably had my expectations high, but all of my favorite parts in the book fell flat and were terribly executed in the movie.

Edited by Warhorse

DH2 - let's face it the kids can't act and it's just boring as hell. No doubt some nerd will disagree.Season of the Witch - I actually watched it twice because I couldn't believe how bad it was.Green Lantern - if a superhero can do whatever his mind thinks, then the film makers clearly had no imagination when they decide to turn a helicopter into a race car, what a load of crap.Pirates 4 - cant even remember the film so that about sums it up.

In no particular orderGreen LanternHall PassThe Green HornetBad TeacherThe EagleYour HighnessJack and JillBD1Red Riding HoodI am Number FourI didn't see some of the obvious bad movies like New Year's Eve, etc so I didn't include them

I try to avoid seeing universally poorly received movies, but I definitely saw some shitty movies last year. The worst were, in no particular order:The Green LanternCowboys & AliensSucker PunchYour Highness

Dolphin tale ? Isn't that for 7-12 year old girls ? Why would you rate something that isn't marketed toward you ?10 worst of 20111. Hangover 22. Thor3. Bridesmaids4. Horrible Bosses5. Paranormal Activity 36. Crazy, Stupid, Love.7. Moneyball8. 50/509. Drive10. Contagion

Edit: ah, you were joking. Well played sir. Edited by FTF