kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

maybe scattered release dates are to avoid competition instead of going head to head with movies that are expected to dominate OS? That way it can stand out.

While you are correct that's the approach they are going for, we live in a social media world now that a film like this - just like any other superhero film - would benefit greatly of a worldwide unified release date. Miles Morales is arguably one of the most important African American characters in comics - not as big as Black Panther, but still - and February would give it not just a good distance of the crowded December market, but also tie it nicely to Black History month, like Black Panther this year. The scattered release date seems like an old approach to market films in a world that last week's films are "old news". I honestly hope to be proven wrong, but I think that Spider-Verse will be a critically acclaimed gem that will be screwed over an awful release schedule. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

While you are correct that's the approach they are going for, we live in a social media world now that a film like this - just like any other superhero film - would benefit greatly of a worldwide unified release date. Miles Morales is arguably one of the most important African American characters in comics - not as big as Black Panther, but still - and February would give it not just a good distance of the crowded December market, but also tie it nicely to Black History month, like Black Panther this year. The scattered release date seems like an old approach to market films in a world that last week's films are "old news". I honestly hope to be proven wrong, but I think that Spider-Verse will be a critically acclaimed gem that will be screwed over an awful release schedule. 

The competition in February is 10x stronger than the competition in December tho... Spidey would literally be going up against the Avatar Killer

MV5BMjQyNjkzMTI1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTE5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, TMP said:

The competition in February is 10x stronger than the competition in December tho... Spidey would literally be going up against the Avatar Killer

MV5BMjQyNjkzMTI1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTE5

Yawn. Black History month with critically acclaimed Spider-Man film featuring Miles Morales? Alita would have to move or die. Spider-Verse should be released in February and enjoy the "first superhero film of the year" status and the first critically acclaimed one at that. Yes Lego Batman was fucked for that, but regardless how much I love Lego Batman, this has way bigger potential. And yet it might ending up making just around the same. 

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

So Sony could make Miles live action only not Holland Parker? or is there some agreement that they can't make Miles movies at the same time with Disney Parker movies? 

• Like 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

So Sony could make Miles live action only not Holland Parker? or is there some agreement that they can't make Miles movies at the same time with Disney Parker movies? 

Sony can't make Spider-Man films featuring Spider-Man in live action during the current agreement. Here's hoping that Sony won't make anything stupid in the future after Far From Home, because that would suck. Also, never saw Venom and never will, don't care how much money it has made. 

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Sony can't make Spider-Man films featuring Spider-Man in live action during the current agreement. Here's hoping that Sony won't make anything stupid in the future after Far From Home, because that would suck. Also, never saw Venom and never will, don't care how much money it has made. 

I see. that explains why this is an animation. 

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Do we know this ? I am that is highly probable to be true, but do we know if they're is any distinction between animated and live action in the current agreement and how do we know that they cannot use Spider-Man ? (Is that speculation or someone figured out).

The only thing that seem really solid is taht they cannot use Tom Holland playing Spider-Man during the current agreement.

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I see. that explains why this is an animation. 

Not really since they are not using spider-man here either, even if it is animated. The animated talk started before the new agreement (we can see them talking about it and checking if they own the rights and all in the leak)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Do we know this ? I am that is highly probable to be true, but do we know if they're is any distinction between animated and live action in the current agreement and how do we know that they cannot use Spider-Man ? (Is that speculation or someone figured out).

The only thing that seem really solid is taht they cannot use Tom Holland playing Spider-Man during the current agreement.

Not really since they are not using spider-man here either, even if it is animated. The animated talk started before the new agreement (we can see them talking about it and checking if they own the rights and all in the leak)

It would be difficult to believe that the MCU and Disney would sign a contract that would allow Sony to make live action SM movies outside of their agreement and it's not as if Sony was in the best position when it made the contract.

Why do people keep suggesting Spider-Verse to move in February. Y'all do know both Lego 2 and HTTYD3 are coming out in the same month, right?

Either way, with it currently tracking for a debut in the $30 million range, it'll end up with a $120M+ total, and probably above $400M WW, which would be really solid for a movie like this. Think maybe Sony chose the right release date.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yawn. Black History month with critically acclaimed Spider-Man film featuring Miles Morales? Alita would have to move or die. Spider-Verse should be released in February and enjoy the "first superhero film of the year" status and the first critically acclaimed one at that. Yes Lego Batman was fucked for that, but regardless how much I love Lego Batman, this has way bigger potential. And yet it might ending up making just around the same. 

It’d get squashed by Lego 2 and Dragon 3.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure. I think this has the potential to become THE BEST Spider-Man film ever, but I really don't like the release date and the fact that the movie's worldwide release date is all over the map with confusing and contradictory reports (Google says this will be released in December 20th, but the actual release date is somewhere in January, which blows and I'll have to wait to watch it when pretty much anywhere online I talk films to will have already watched). I think it'll get rave reviews, but it shouldn't be released so close to Aquaman or Mary Poppins. This would DOMINATE February if they had moved there. I think this might end up making less than Venom, when it's obviously the best Spider-Man film between the two, which would be a shame. Here's hoping to be wrong tho. 

How do you know this is better than Venom? let's face it this can't be better than Venom as it's a poorly made cartoon. doesn't matter how good it's is, it's a cartoon and won't have the same appeal. this film is strictly reserved for nerds and hipsters. Everyone else will just ignore it 

9 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

While you might be right, I'd still insist that would be a better date than what we have now. 

December is perfect for this. The studio probably has a better idea of when to release this than ZattMurdock from box office theory forums 🤣

4 hours ago, Jessie said:

December is perfect for this. The studio probably has a better idea of when to release this than ZattMurdock from box office theory forums 🤣

Eh, not so fast. I guarantee you that most BOT posters knew that Robin Hood was a flop idea and wouldn't greenlight it, but the studio did. In fact, fans are many times better at sniffing out bombs right from the announcement. Heck, SW fans were saying "who the fuck wants a Han Solo movie?" when it was just one of several rumors floating. But the studio went forward and bombed. So no need to underestimate the wisdom of fans and overestimate the wisdom of CEO's. 

• Like 1