Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Well, I was disappointed first, even if $188m is a good number...But now I heard of this fight of the century I can understand why it was not bigger, millions of people wanted to stay at home instead of watching this, thinking they could watch it later.

The bright side : the fight is over, Mayweather got his victory and now they'll go watching the movie -> great hold next weekend.

? They could have watched it today? Or some time this week? Your logic is flawed.

That's not my point though. I mean we're all agreed that this isn't going anywhere near topping the first. And that's what all the meltdowns are about. That it's not even going to get close.

No, the meltdowns are about the fact that this might end up $40-50m lower than people were expecting for the weekend.

What if RTH was wrong on the other end and we had a $230M+ OW? Would you even be posting here?

Probably not LOL

Is that reality though or some fantasy in your head like many on here? Oh that's right it's a hypothetical that didn't come close to being true. Boooooooom

Keep crying more please, making my morning very enjoyable. RTH IS A GOD, hail!!!

So you weren't here another 98% of time when he was right?

99.99% of people here would take RTH over you anyway. At least he's given us some accurate numbers.

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 1

Is that reality though or some fantasy in your head like many on here? Oh that's right it's a hypothetical that didn't come close to being true. Boooooooom

I am pretty sure you called the 49ers to well last year and looked how well that turned out. EPIC failure. 

• Like 2

I'm curious as to how the general trades/media will cover this though.  Here's USA Today and a comment from Rentrak--

And although it didn't quite reach the heights of the first superteam installment, Ultron faced outside competition from the Kentucky Derby, the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight and NBA playoffs.

Audiences "had a lot of choices, and for Age of Ultron to perform this way is just astonishing," says Rentrak analyst Paul Dergarabedian. "Those things all certainly can have an impact," but with little direct competition next week (the only movie opening wide is the Reese Witherspoon-Sofia Vergara buddy comedy Hot Pursuit), "it's got a nice open week to really stretch its legs and hit its stride even more."

And this one's from Bloomberg--

The haul was enough to register as the second-biggest movie debut of all time, behind its predecessor, “Marvel’s the Avengers,” which delivered a $207 million opening weekend in May 2012, and ahead of 2013’s “Iron Man 3.” Still, “Age of Ultron” missed Disney’s own estimate of as much as $210 million, and others that surpassed $220 million. Besides boxing, the film was competing against the Kentucky Derby and the National Basketball Association playoffs.

The weekend started off strong for “Age of Ultron.” Disney reported $84.5 million in sales on Friday, an amount that put the film on pace to make $200 million to $210 million for the weekend. The record set by “Marvel’s the Avengers” was “in sight,” Disney said.

The movie dropped off to $57.2 million on Saturday, according to Rentrak, below Disney’s expectations when it estimated the film could break the $200 million weekend mark.

“It’s important to not call this a failure because it didn’t break the record,” said Phil Contrino, chief analyst with BoxOffice.com. “This is still a very successful movie.”

And Hollywood Reporter--

As the weekend wore on, it became apparent that Saturday night's Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao fight was hurting Ultron in a big way. Some box office observers believe the movie could have approached $200 milion were it not for competition from the PPV event.

Costing $89.9-$99.9 to watch, the fight is expected to have generated hundreds of millions in revenue. Additionally, thousands watched the fight on pirate sites. "The fight dinged all films across the board. The numbers on Ultron are still phenomenal but definitely less than they would have been," said one rival studio executive.

From the sounds of these, It looks like Disney (or pretty much everyone) underestimated the effect that the fight would have.  EDIT: Although, if the numbers from Sunday is greater than the 20% drop that Disney is anticipating, it will obviously look like it really isn't because of all of those other factors that AOU performed the way it did.

BoxOffice.com adjusted their projection to $500M (down from 567M).

Edited by pensivepenguin
  • Like 1

No, the meltdowns are about the fact that this might end up $40-50m lower than people were expecting for the weekend.

They're not. Because all they can then think of is 'it's going to finish below F7 WW. It's going to finish under TDK!!! Subconsciously it's the overall total it's pointing to which is causing these reactions.

So you weren't here another 98% of time when her was right?

99.99% of people here would take RTH over you anyway. At least he's given us some accurate numbers.

Yawn so? I'm here lurking all the time, I see the way people who disagree with rth or had something negative to say about him get unfairly chewed up by some of you crazies. Again turn around is fair play.