Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Age of Ultron will have a better second weekend.

People will want to get that bad taste that MayPac left out of their mouths and very little competition.

Edited by Boxx93

Right just like how The Dark Knight dropped from Batman Begins?

Disney has already made historic profit margin from this franchise. I'd love to see how much money Age of Ultron has made before it was even released and how much it will make outside the theater now that it's out, though. But, hey, keep on thinking that the real profit is in theater grosses.

Batman Begins grossed 200mil, TDK was always expected to blow that away.

People's expectations were too high.

Avengers 1 almost pushed theaters to full capacity.

Not any movie is going to match that extreme performance.

Avengers 1 was a pop culture phenomena. Sequels for pop culture phenomenons don't increase.

Nah, Depp's career took a nosedive because of all the shitty movies has been in over the recent years.

RDJ's Iron Man appearances have all been in quality movies. I'm sure when he retires as the character, he will be fine. Hollywood loves him even more than the audiences right now. :bop:

Hasn't RDJ made like tens of millions from being Iron Man?

This is stil an incredible opening despite some of us being a bit disappointed due to expectation. But regarding IM3, that movie benefited the most from being the first film to follow the breakout success of The Avengers. So while the whole "this only did $13m or so more than IM3" is a fair point to mention, IM3 was riding on the enormous buzz and goodwill of The Avengers. Despite AOU being the direct sequel, lots of the bumps were already given to the likes of IM3, Thor and Cap.

• Like 1

Nah, Depp's career took a nosedive because of all the shitty movies has been in over the recent years.

RDJ's Iron Man appearances have all been in quality movies. I'm sure when he retires as the character, he will be fine. Hollywood loves him even more than the audiences right now. :bop:

I'm not quite sure. RDJ is probably currently at where Depp was after At World's End. 

• Like 1

It seems Disney earned a lot of money with Ultron with food companies tie ins with all the doritos, sodas etc

Is there a Marvel theme Park in the pipeline from Disney or just Marvel rides added into Disney worlds ?

Disney is contractually prohibited from adding Marvel rides to Walt Disney World in Florida. Universal has the theme park rights there. However, there are Disney rides planned for Disneyland in California and their theme parks in other countries.

There are no plans for a Marvel Theme Park.

Edited by Walt Disney

It's a great opening to me. The first movie had a novelty that was never going to be duplicated, and having individual sequels for the 3 most popular characters probably diluted demand this time around as well. A $450-500M total is far from something to sneeze at (although that there will be some trying to spin such a massive total in a negative way is absurd but whatever).

• Like 2

People's expectations were too high.

Avengers 1 almost pushed theaters to full capacity.

Not any movie is going to match that extreme performance.

Avengers 1 was a pop culture phenomena. Sequels for pop culture phenomenons don't increase.

Again people are talking about opening weekend, not the final gross.

Most sequels to big popular films open higher.

His point is that total net profit increased from BB to TDK which is about as "no shit" as it gets. The margins probably did increase as well but the first part is really a NO DUH.

Oh come on Baumer, how many people saw this coming a month ago?.

The number itself is huge but its still disappointing in context.

Me.

It's not near record. The Sunday number proves the fight was not the influence on Saturday

For a weekend like this will have to wait til actuals to say this.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

All of that excess outside of the film have expectations as well ESP off the success from the original and its merch etc. Profit margin will be compressed a little more than expected, can't be denied.

A lot of that money was made before OW based off the success of the Avengers. That doesn't get changed now. If anything, it MIGHT hurt the bottom line of the next Avengers movie.

Internationally, The Avengers: Age of Ultron opened higher. So merchandising sales across the globe should cover any merchandising sales drops here in the USA.

Not my point stuart360. ;)

Regarding RDJ.

I think he's following a similar trajectory as Johnny Depp. Soon people will be bored of him.

If he doesn't do films like Dark Shadows, Transcendence, The Lone Ranger, and The Tourist, and avoid doing another film like The Judge then he should be ok.

I am curious as to what he'll do once he's not Stark anymore and/or not doing Marvel.  He's pretty much assimilated the character to a point that even when he's out buying groceries or something, he's Tony Stark.  It might be a rude awakening for him.