antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

Just now, slambros said:

The great reviews come as no surprise to me. I'm sure Paramount gained a hefty amount of money from the Netflix deal, and that the domestic release will become a cherry on top through strong legs driven by excellent word of mouth.

Who's to say this will have strong legs?

54 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

SPOILERS!

Investigating what? I dont' want to know what this movie is about! Stop talking, numbers!!

Chill out.

Nothing is a spoiler if it's been officially released prior to release. It's not my job to divine the extent of your knowledge of a film going in.

Also, helpful tips: If you're trying to avoid knowing about a film, it's a good idea to not enter the film's thread until you see it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, slambros said:

Historical patterns in regards to celebrated science fiction films (Ex Machina; Blade Runner 2049).

Arrival did a really nice 5.0x and started not far from 2,000 theater either (and in the US was also a Paramount release).

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/annihilation-netflix-uk-release-date-a8221716.html

The streaming service has now confirmed when UK subscribers can expect the Alex Garland’s second movie: 12 March

They always talked about at least 16/17 days after US release I think.

Makes sense, or else Piracy will affect US box office too much I think. Still, piracy will affect box office performance now that people know a high definition version can be downloaded within a few weeks.

Just now, NCsoft said:

Makes sense, or else Piracy will affect US box office too much I think. Still, piracy will affect box office performance now that people know a high definition version can be downloaded within a few weeks.

I imagine that why a lot of people in the industry did push a see it on the biggest sound system possible narrative, to have some should see it in theater going on.

42 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Nothing is a spoiler if it's been officially released prior to release.

Marketing team make spoiler all the time.

Spoiler: information about the plot of a motion picture or TV program that can spoil a viewer's sense of surprise or suspense

Officially release or not has nothing to do about something being a spoiler or not, many artist got really angry with marketing head over the year's.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Wouldn’t it be 4K?

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

Wouldn’t it be 4K?

Maybe, was shot in 4K and had a 4K UDH bluray release planned before netflix annoucement:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2798920/technical

http://cdon.se/film/annihilation_(4k_ultra_hd_%2b_blu-ray)-41780219

P.S. 4K is definitely High Definition (everything above 480i is called high definition by the industry)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Chill out.

Nothing is a spoiler if it's been officially released prior to release. It's not my job to divine the extent of your knowledge of a film going in.

Also, helpful tips: If you're trying to avoid knowing about a film, it's a good idea to not enter the film's thread until you see it.

it was sarcastic. I guess sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet. I am not that fussed by being told something :lol:

3 minutes ago, slambros said:

Still, many films would be lucky to have those legs. There has to be a reason why the film didn't completely nosedive.

Blade Runner box office legs were quite low for a 4M dollar preview grosses, with a quite frontloaded first weekend, 23 time your previews is not that much higher than say the first 50 shades of grey, that was fanbase heavy and really average OW / legs wise.

In 2017, looking at 56 release that opened between 10m and 45m, the average legs were of 3.18, the total leg were of 3.39, Blade Runner 2.81 was below average, Transformer 5 had better legs.

If we remove Jumanji that was skewing the result, Jumanji less average legs were of 3.03 and total 3.07

Closest comparable in term of OW size:

Get Out $ 33M $ 176M 5.27
Girls Trip $ 31M $ 115M 3.69
Murder on the Orient Express $ 29M $ 103M 3.58
Daddy's Home 2 $ 30M $ 104M 3.51
Split $ 40M $ 138M 3.46
John Wick: Chapter Two $ 30M $ 92M 3.02
Annabelle: Creation $ 35M $ 102M 2.92
Transformers: The Last Knight $ 45M $ 130M 2.91
Blade Runner 2049******* $ 33M $ 92M 2.81
Kingsman: The Golden Circle $ 39M $ 100M 2.57
The Mummy (2017) $ 32M $ 80M 2.53
Power Rangers (2017) $ 40M $ 85M 2.12
Alien: Covenant $ 36M $ 74M 2.05
Average $ 35M $ 107M 3.11

The movie that did worst with that type of OW were really not great and all franchise and/or sequel also.