kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES | 05.08.15 - 05.10.15

It's a disappointment/letdown in that it's a letdown relative to expectations; even I expected it to at least cross $500M, even though I was always of the belief that it was not going to touch TA1's total. I guess a "That's it? I guess it was OK" film deserves a "That's it? I guess it was OK" gross.

It's still going to be the biggest domestic moneymaker in a year and a half. This has been the longest "$400M drought" since the 21 months from TS3->THG.

But to me and some people it's a better film than just 'ok'. It's way better than IM3 and deserves a better leg.

77M weekend isn't getting this to 500M.

We all know that now. -_-

I reacted to it about the same as IM3, a sense of "I was kind of expecting more." The only difference is that I deliberately avoided all advance information about AOU, precisely so I would not feel the bewilderment and disappointment I felt after IM3. (Instead, I just had a hollow "ehhhh....it was good?" feeling.)

But at the end of the day, it's just a movie. After the underperformance of HTTYD2 put me into a two-month funk that it took GOTG to snap me out of, I've learned not to let this stuff get me down IRL.

• Like 2

Although 450M isn't bad. No movie in 2+ years has done it.

No movie since TA1, actually. (Though TDKR adjusts, of course.)

Adjusting for inflation, the worst "$400M drought" in today's terms would be the nearly 4 years (based on release dates, not milestone dates, since you can't determine those adjusted) between Back to the Future and Batman '89, followed by the 27 months from The Sixth Sense to Harry Potter. Then 2 years from Home Alone to Aladdin, the 2 years from Pirates 2 to TDK, the 22 months from Forrest Gump to Twister, the 21 months from TS3 to THG, and then these 18 months from Frozen to AOU. (All of this is subject to change with further inflation, of course.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1